19 Hamilton Street, South Circular Road (-100k, -16%)

Was 640k

google.ie/url?sa=t&source=we … 8oru2UYYuA

Now 540k

www5.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=381374

It’s just a pet gripe, but would you consider changing the title to Hamilton Street, Rialto? It’s not on the South Circular.

+1

As an ex resident.

There is a world of difference between the Candem to Clanbrassil strech, and the Rialto end. It drops by hundreds of euro per square foot as you move west. We Easties cannot bare been associated with the plebs at the westend (and no - I’m not been ironic).Its like D4 having to bear Irishtown, if you know what I mean.

West is worst, east is best.

Gripe noted. However the address comes directly from the daft ad, which is input by the EA. Feel free to contact them. In the interest of making it easy for people who post price drops to find threads using the search function it’s better to post the address as it is.

I’m making no comment about Rialto as an area, more that South Circular Road, despite what some people say, is not an area, it’s a road that runs from Islandbridge to Portobello, through Kilmainham, Dolphins Barn, Rialto. It’s not an area named after the street either like Harold’s cross or Pimlico.

If it is a street off SCR then say off SCR, but it’s at least 3 roads away. It would be like saying “Mountjoy Square, North Circular Road”.

It just annoys me when people say they live** in** South Circular Road. You can live on South Circular Road, you can live just off South Circular Road, you can live** near **South Circular Road, but if you lived in the South Circular Road you’d be hit by a car.

I live on Hamilton Street. Its 2 minutes walk to SCR and about 15 to Rialto. Completely misleading to call it Rialto - Dolphin’s Barn or Donore Avenue are nearer the mark.

Whatever you want to call it, my opinion is that its a gem of an area - very near town but completely residential and far far cheaper than houses on the SCR east of Clanbrassil Street, mainly on the basis that it is a genuinely mixed working class/middle class area and on the border of ‘rough areas’ (Dolphin’s Barn, St Teresas Gardens, Fatima)

However the house in question is still way overpriced as it is in terrible shape. A minimum of 150k to get it into liveable condition I reckon. It was on at 780k in 2008! 300k is the absolute max any sane person would pay for that and even that would be expensive IMHO. I’d be surprised if prices for the largest houses (odd numbers, the even numbered houses are considerably smaller) in good condition on Hamilton Street settle at anything above 400k once the market reaches equilibrium

Now asking €450,000.
Shocking photos!

+1 on the shocking photos. It’s like the EA doesn’t want to sell it!

it might be a very rushed 2 minute walk to the scr but it’s even nearer to cork st… funny that doesn’t appear in the address. oh, and i love the inverted commas around rough areas. because the people in st teresa’s are so the salt of the earth types. and not junkie scumbags who’d stab you as soon as look at you. having lived in a number of inner city areas i can definitively say that the area around st james’s is by far the worst!

it might be a very rushed 2 minute walk to the scr but it’s even nearer to cork st… funny that doesn’t appear in the address. oh, and i love the inverted commas around rough areas. because the people in st teresa’s are so the salt of the earth types. and not junkie scumbags who’d stab you as soon as look at you. having lived in a number of inner city areas i can definitively say that the area around st james’s is by far the worst!

You must walk very slowly. Turn right on to Donore Avenue, walk for two minutes and you’ll hit SCR. As you say, Cork Street is also 2 minutes walk - bleak enough to look at, but pretty handy to have Lidl, a post office, a chemist, an off license and a laundrette and dry cleaner (who deliver for free).

I’ve lived in the area on and off for 15 years and no one has stabbed me yet. Or even looked sideways at me. Have met quite a few very nice people from Teresas Gardens. Like most inner city flat complexes, there are also a minority of families who are unwilling or unable to control their children, which leads to occasional anti-social behaviour.

And, as I already said, its by no means a well to do or gentrified area, which is why 450 grand for a utter wreck of a house, which is what no. 19 is, is insane!

Now 420

myhome.ie/residential/brochu … n-8/134819

Still way overpriced

changed subject line to reflect price drop

myhome.ie/residential/brochu … n-8/437933

no 18 asking 350

decent nick too…

No 18 is smaller and only a 3-bed, nicer garden though

Even numbered houses on Hamilton Street are much smaller than odd numbered - not just less bedrooms but smaller all around. On average 115 sqm as opposed to 150 sqm for odds.

No. 18 has an offer of 270k which has been rejected by the vendor, according to the estate agent.

Just looking back at my post from October when I said that 300k was max any sane person would pay for no. 19 - I’d revise that to 230k!

now €269k
myhome.ie/residential/brochu … n-8/134819

I’d assumed they weren’t really serious about selling as they had left it so long on the market at 420k. This latest drop suggests that maybe they are.

You’d still want a good whack off the current asking of 269k though. Just looking back at this thread, I’d said in Oct 2010 that 300k would be max you’d want to spend and in Feb 2011 that 230k would be nearer the mark.

As of November 2011, assuming a 150k outlay on renovation, 200k would be where I would be aiming at. If you could reduce the renovation cost by a good chunk, then 200k could ultimately represent value.

Next door house, no 17, went for circa 750k in 2007 IIRC in similarly bad condition and has since renovated. Can’t find any link to that price.

No 19 now an executor sale

Jesus Txiri, what did you do to the owner ?

:unamused:

I’m not quite that mercenary.

Not sure that the owner had any family so I guess that means complications about probate et al. Which is unfortunate as the house is beginning to look pretty derelict which is never a good thing.