226 Howth Road, Clontarf !(or might that be Killester)

226 Howth Road, Clontarf - Misleading Estate agent address of Clontarf,when its actually in Killester.
daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=523485&search=1

Note that a Dublin City Planner also advised the owner of this property in May 2007 that this house was in fact in Killester and not Clontarf ( see pg 2 of 5 of ) : dublincity.ie/AnitePublicDocs/00159952.pdf.

Correct me if Im wrong northsiders but as you drive up the Howth road and having passed the supermarket on your right. From there on I always thought any property on the left was Killester and anything on the right was Clontarf. Hence this is Killester and not Clontarf so its probably overvalued.

I think you’re right, at least until you get to Raheny. The last road in Clontarf you pass on the right is Dunluce Road. After that it’s Sybil Hill Road, which is Raheny. Everything up to that point, on the left, is Donneycarney before the Collins Ave junction and Killester thereafter.

Not quite correct. It’s certainly very confusing though.

It comes down to a distinction between Dublin 3 (Clontarf) and Dublin 5 (Killester, then Artane and Raheny).

• Howth Road is Killester from Supervalu to Sybill Hill on both sides.
  • Everything on left (heading out of town) is Killester.
  • Furry Park on right is Killester.
  • Other roads on right are Clontarf (Dunluce, Castle Ave, Dunseverick).
  • Sybill Hill is Raheny (at least the two houses on left and St Pauls School are, no houses on right only Nursing Home which I don’t know about).
  • Brookwood Ave (left at same junction on Howth Road as Sybill Hill) is Artane.
  • Raheny on both sides from this junction onwards.

Confused ??? Me too, I only know this through local knowledge.

In fairness the planner was advising of the objections or representations recieved one/a few of which put in that the location was Killester and not the planners advise/opionion.

As an aside I would think the location is Killester.

Well done sir :smiley:

Next, the technical boundaries of Sutton/Baldoyle/Bayside, and then moving swiftly along to the knotty little problem of where Malahide begins and Swords ends.

You forgot, Raheny, Kilbarrack, Donaghmede. All seems to be Raheny these days. :unamused:

We’re digressing and way off topic so I’ll stop now. :laughing:

Hmmm, this has completely confused me since I moved to the area last year … And if we say that Killester is Killester Parish, there is a map available from the Resources Centre has shows what Killester is, e.g.

Howth Road from junction with Vernon Avenue up pas the park and to the junction with Bettstown is Killester.

Brookwood Avenue from 94 to the Howth Road is Killester, the rest is Artane.

All of Dun Luce Road is in Killester.

Parts of Sybil Hill Road are Killester.

And parts past Sybil Hill junction are also Killester.

If I could PDF the map and post I would, sorry. I think a thread with boundaries in them, would be very very useful for everyone eh.

That’s the “Parish of Killester”, not the district Killester. Has a meaning for what church you go to and what schools. No meaning for the address though. Large amount of Foxfield is in “Foxfield Kilbarrack Parish” for example. Rest is in “Raheny Parish”

Parish can be very important if you want to get your kids into certain schools.

They were looking for €700k for it this time last year. On at 525k now.

irishpropertywatch.com/salesSearchResults.php?Address=226+howth+road&Beds=any&Type=any&Region=any

It was advertised as a 3 bed when it first went up a couple of weeks ago, but has now changed to a 2 bed. The room in the attic must not meet regs.

Some thirty odd years ago as a house-sharing student along that never-never land known as the Firhouse Road - I and others became rather giddy after an extended stay in the Blue Haven. Moving unsteadily along on our bikes we came upon the McInerney Delaford Estate (as in Twink’s Delaford House) where stood a nicely made wooden sign proclaiming 'Delaford Tidy Up Week ’

Two hours later it had been repainted on our kitchen floor and proudly said to ‘Welcome to Tallaght’
In the wee small hours and not without risk - it found itself proudly displayed at least 60 feet in the air -up a tree at the beginning of the Firhouse Road and facing travellers from the Butterfield Avenue direction.

Oddly enough not everyone got the point -or perhaps they did. It was a road with many a Garda landlord on it and there was a heroic effort to remove the sign which happily survived for a weekend. AAAh lost youth. :angry:

Confusing myself more now … there is a Killester parish and a Killister district? :slight_smile:

tried to find information on the district and only thing I can think of would a “Local Electoral Area”, which would be for Killester actually Clontarf Local Electoral Area.

PS parish is what I’d mainly interested when choosing a home, as it is the schools I would buying it for. Otherwise I’d don’t really care about the whether is an area/district.

FROM: roots.swilson.info/#reg - Old maps show exact no boundary lines, but interesting.

Also interesting to see an old Lead mine at the end of Castle Avenue,Clontarf and a quarry alongside what would now be the Malahide road- both shown in this 1837 map
roots.swilson.info/dublinenviron … 1836a.html

CLONTARF,a maritime parish and extensive village in Coolock barony, Dublin county, three miles E N.E. from he General Post Office? Dublin comprising an area or 1,190 acres, of which 38 occupy the village and sheds of Clontarf Population of parish 2,664 ; of village and sheds 818, inhabiting 110 houses.

It is a memorable place in Irish history, as the scene of a great battle fought by King Brian Boromh or Boru, on Good Friday 1014, to put an end to the Danish power in Ireland the details of which are variously and diffusively narrated by the native historians, and form, it is said, the subject of Gray’s ode of thee “Fatal sisters.” The village was formerly a fishing town of some importance l, but with the exception Of so me extensive and profitable Oyster beds, off the sheds, has long lost that character. The central portion is a street that runs from the shore inland from the gate of the castle, but the greater and more diversified part faces the strand in continuos rows or clusters of houses, out many of which are handsome buildings besides numerous small cottages, suited to, sea bathers, that line the green lanes and avenues of the village. Marino, the beautiful Wilt of the Earl Of’ Charlemont, in a line with the strand and contiguous to the village, in noticed in Drumcondra parish, to which it belongs. The castle of’ Clontarf one of the first within the English pale, was taken down in 1835, and the present mansion with a Norman tower erected theron.

The Church, dedicated to St. John, is a small edifice. The Roman Catholic Chapel is a large and handsome structure. There is a Widows’ Alms House, a Parochial and Roman Catholic Free School, and County and District Constabulary Police Station. It is much frequented in summer for sea bathing by all classes. The old Charter School is now used as cold and hot sea water baths. The Drogheda or Northern Trunk Railway shirts the village, near Marine crescent, where there is a station, the first of the line, where all the ordinary trains stop. Near Dollymount, at the further extremity of Clontarf strand, is an extensive causeway or break-water, called the “Bull wall.” created by the Ballast Board, with the view of deepening the channel between it and the Lighthouse on Poolbeg wall. It extends upwards of 1 1/2 miles in a S.S.E. direction, and on which £103,055 was expended in 1826. By it a direct and comparatively broad channel has been formed through the bar, which is now passable by large vessels that could not formerly have entered at high water of the greatest spring tides.

The mail from Dublin arrives at if 8 15, A.M., and 15 minutes past l, P.M., and is despatched at 9 20, A.M., and 4 15 p.m.

RAHENY, a maritime parish and village in Coolock barony, Dublin county, five miles N.E. from the General Post Office, Dublin, comprising an area of 920 acres, of which 12 are in the village. Population of the parish 722; of village, 295, inhabiting 49 houses. It is picturesquely situated on the road to Howth.

The village, amid a group of fine old trees, is the second station of the Drogheda Railway, and contains the Church, a Dispensary, Petty Sessions Court-house, and Constabulary Police Station. In the approach to Raheny, is Killester, a parish comprising an area of 279 acres, population 456, through which the railway passes, at a depth of excavation of 36 feet, and where it is crossed by an iron suspension bridge, 84 feet in span. The principal seats in the vicinity of Raheny and Killester, are Raheny Manor-house, Killester House, Hollybrook House and Park.

The fares on the railway to and from Dublin are-first class, 6d. ; second class, 4d. ; third class, 3d. The mail from Dublin arrives at 25 minutes past 8 o’clock, A.M., and at 30 minutes past 3, p.m. ; and is despatched at noon, and at 45 minutes past 4, p.m.

Looks like they have eventually caved in on the Clontarf,D5 address - now changed to Killester,Dublin 3

See
myhome.ie/residential/brochu … n-5/215442

If the address has been “downgraded” should the price not reflect this? I mean 525,000 clontarf , should be under 500,000 for Killester…

Back on the market again having disappeared for some time.

myhome.ie/residential/brochu … lin/224469