28 Grosvenor Square, Rathmines, Dublin 6

Now €745k
myhome.ie/residential/brochu … -6/1283808

Der luvly dem, If they accepted 600k id think it was a bargain. wish i had 600k

Noting this in the “Is that value…” thread.

Now €695k
myhome.ie/1283808

myhome.ie/residential/brochu … -6/1461781

Num 11

11 Grosvenor Square, Rathmines, Dublin 6
€995,000 - 4 Bed End of Terrace Houses 265 m² For Sale

Quite shoddily and cheaply renovated. It was rented and shows it. No return which is unusual. This results in a house that is not very deep.

It was a very big corner site that now has four mews properties in your back garden, to the side. These are very close to the house and may interfere with your privacy.

Check dublincity.ie/swiftlg/apas/r … ia.display for details on the work done on the house and mews.

The square is private.

On a corner beside a lane with a low height wall just inviting knackers to throw rubbish over your wall.

The back garden is small. There is parking for one car, with gate off Grosvenor Lane.

A lot of the houses in the square are in flats. A house a few doors up has a smashed front-window so your neighbours may be a bit rough.

The residents’ parking restrictions do not apply at weekends and evenings when the square will receive visitors using the facilities.

However, realistically priced.

Apparently a NAMA sale of another Derek Quinlan special. The four mews have sold for less than 400K each, a bit of a drop from the original 1 million.

What a fuckwit - overpaying for a host of houses around Dublin and them hoarding them while they lost value.

We should all get to spend a night in each of this idiot’s houses given that we are all paying for them now.

“Brookes Partnership” is referenced in the planning stuff; is that DQ himself or one of his ‘clients’?

independent.ie/business/a-gu … 60381.html

Bought for 3 million in 2005. x millions spent on building and redevelopment. Initially priced at 6.8 million in 2008. The lot being sold for a maximum of 2.5 million in 2011 - 4 x c. 380K + 1 x 995K. That is a mere a 63% drop.

Its becoming more obvious by the day that from 2004 most of the rise in prime Dublin properties came from maybe 5 people just hoovering up everything in site. The vanity involved meant that they fell over each other to pay whatever it took to secure every home made of red bricks more than 50 years old, irrespective of condition.

A few others got caught in the Whirlwind they created, just looking for a home to live in and raise a family. I suspect if you had removed the 5 most aggressive buyers of Prime Dublin property in 2004-2008, prices would never have reached even 65% of the levels they got to in some areas.

This article in the Irish Times last week, with the headline “€7.5m drop tells the story of the bubble” about a different property (70 Park Avenue, Sandymount)

irishtimes.com/newspaper/pro … 93713.html

states that it is being sold by “Caroline Brooks, daughter of financier Derek Quinlan, who with her husband Matthew purchased the house at auction in 2006 – paying nearly twice the €5 million guide price”.

Perhaps the ‘Brookes Partnership’ (or possibly ‘Brooks Partnership’) is made up of Derek Quinlan’s daughter and her husband?

This also shows how the blanket rules excluding PPR from CGT are a joke. No property taxes, no CGT for John and the missus but the poor sod sweeping the streets has to pay for Derek’s folly

Interesting idea. The property market or sections of it such as you classified as anything built of redbricks in South Central Dublin as an ill-conditioned system where small input changes lead to large output changes.

It would merit further investigation if you have the time and the data. I am sure how localised the cause of the bubble was. Certainly the numbers of such houses is finite and small. The number on sale at any one time is a subset of this small set. However, would crazy prices being paid lead to a feedback effect where more sellers would arise to take advantage of these crazy prices and so expand the availablle set of houses?

Even at the time, some of the prices being paid for the trophy redbricks seems nonsensical to many.

At the end of the day 28 Grosvenor Square is still just Rathmines and not Rathgar or Ranelagh. The specific area is a dense maze of small mews and duplex houses. Rathmines remained steadfastly chained to the bottom and was not lifted with the general boom tide.

A walk around Grosvenor Square will show you that at least one third of the houses are in flats as indicatde by the panels of multiple door bells. There are even a few derelict houses.

A walk around Grosvenor Square will show you that at least one third of the houses are in flats as indicatde by the panels of multiple door bells. There are even a few derelict houses.

Walking down Palmerston Road, 50% of the houses are bedsits are in poor repair. So there is still a lot of property all over D6 that is in bad shape.

Tax incentives to fix up period houses, that’s what we need.

In London so many period houses are split into good quality 1/2 bedroom flats (or apartments as we would call them) - it’s a pity that in Ireland it’s a family home or rubbish bedsits with no middle ground. Same in the US (I’m thinking Chicago - Lincoln Park etc) where a ‘3 flat’ is the norm for non high rise apartments .

11 is now - Sale Agreed
myhome.ie/residential/brochu … -6/1461781

Number 11 was very realistically priced to sell. I think it went for 850K+. Nice house, OK area. Good price.

Based on my last rental search I would disagree.
Though there is a lot of junk in D6/D6W there are a few nice apartment conversions like you describe.

there must be more for rent than for sale looking through

these are the kind I was referring to and I could only find these two (2 beds)
daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=580019
daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=577265

a few more 1 beds like this but not many & not very good

daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=545280
daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=470870