2Pack will call the bottom now!

My parents and their six siblings were all born in the 1950s and grew up in Dublin

Literally all of them had not just a job but a *career *by 23.

I think one uncle and his wife bought a house at 24. The latest any of them bought was 31.

This pattern would be very unusual for people born in the 1990s.

:smiley:

My findings are probably just selection bias around people who brag about their fancy houses.

My apologies :smiley:

Most people’s anecdotes trump statistics though. I too am hypothesising from own family instead of hunting down the 1986 Census report.

I look at that group too though I’m renovating and was having the exact same thoughts

No small gaffs there!

I can only assume the attitude is" I got the site for free so it makes sense to build say a 400k house on it as my friends are spending 400k on a gaff in town’

Or else the site itself is theoretically worth say 300k so I can spend 400k and still have a low loan to value ratio

:confused:

Not representative of the overall property morkesh I reckon though

That IS the morkesh where I live. :smiley:

10% of the current housing stock is one off and all built since 2008. Generally they are 200sq m ish rather than outright ranchos.

Am I way off in my theory as to why self builders build such big houses??

200m sq would be the norm where I am. Some bigger some smaller. 400m sq is rare.

On bottom or whatever, I bought a gaff in D4 for € 1M in mid 2013, gaff next door not selling for € 1.1M (admittedly probably needing € 75K to modernise).Still almost back to 13 level.

Did Sherry Fitz advertise it as a gaff? Or a dream home?

Self build is basically impossible where I live (single-digit even postcode).

But if I was going to the hassle of building my own house I wouldn’t bother for less than 200sqm.

Looks like we’ve reached peak Dermot Bannon homes.

End of the ‘doer-upper’: rising cost of renovations cripples demand for ageing homes
independent.ie/business/per … 27313.html

The American denial of poverty and hunger. What will the shutdown lockout do to people and the American economy, Wall Street denial of a problem with no pay checks. Has America run out of money! Are the wealthy just hoarding money.

7 Eden Park in Glasthule

independent.ie/life/home-ga … 99346.html

thats a nice house but there is basically no garden which will limit its appeal to be fair.

Eden Park is in a great location but I would say of all the period locations in the general DL area it is probably the one with the most potential to scare off potential buyers. That is in addition to the tiny back gardens.

If they get their asking, they will have a handy 45K. profit. Whatever they spent on the en-suite was probably less than a year’s rent. But it’s a delicate balance - Brexit could Wrexit.

Have to factor in 2% stamp duty, and then add on legal/EA’s fees…if they get asking they will probably be lucky to break even…though they did save on the rent…

CSO Residential Property Price Index – Jan 2019 figures are out

cso.ie/en/releasesandpublic … nuary2019/

Dublin houses at

-1.3% monthly change
-2.6% quarterly change
2.3% annual change

Also on their third monthly dip in a row and steepening.

Mmmm, Close to peak then we are. But prices are still rising in most of the country so a Dublin peak is not a peak …except in Dublin.