400 prefabricated houses to be built for Dublin’s homeless

irishtimes.com/news/social- … -1.2251914

this belongs in another thread but can’t find it - feel free to merge

What is sold as temporary in Ireland often becomes permanent. State built Shanty towns of the future?

Anyone any idea at the highest point how many habitable units NAMA may have been hidding from the “market”?

Prefabricated doesn’t necessarily mean temporary. It is just a different manufacturing process for houses. The vast majority of our housing stock was and still is “hand build” from scratch, one off units, all be it replicated in rows. Prefab units are mass produced in factories and shipped to site for assembly (and yes, I know everyone here knew that already).

The slowly warping and dissolving chipboard and plywood temporary and portable structures of the 1960’s and 70’s that survived to to the 80’s, 90’s and beyound along with the social experiments of the 60’s and 70’s such as Ballymun that all used prefabricated methods have “stigmatised” the term. At the other end of the spectrum, there’s the designers’ favourite Huf House.

As was mentioned in the Times article

And as we’ve seen all to often recently, complying with all building regulations is more than can be said for a significant number of the traditional hand build units put up by so called professional developers recently.

Blue Horseshoe

To qualify, I’m not concerned with prefab and all it’s Irish borne connotations nor as a means of manufacture (in fact I think it’s the most logical in terms of economy of scale if that is your measures) the issue what I meant was governmental policy and application. Just like rent allowance which was a temporary measures and has become a permanent feature, it had to start somewhere just like this.

There are still some of the post WWII “temporary” houses in the UK still in use, as it was the majority of them lasted over 30 years.

This is a good proposal which could have been done during the height of the celtic tiger when we had the money but everyone appeared too self-involved to see that the homeless hadn’t gone away.
That was the point at which I came to the conclusion that people don’t really care. when you have the money and don’t spend it on genuine social welfare then you question the state. Up until then I had been paying my high taxes knowing we were digging ourselves out of depression but at that stage there was plenty of money to go around and still it didn’t get spent on genuine worthy social welfare causes.
good proposal but I wonder how they’ll feck it up and who’ll get yearly rental income from cabins that amount to more than the cost of building a house as is prior experience from school prefabs.

What kind of social welfare do you mean?

I’d love to see more money go to schools, hospitals, public transport, etc (which would disproportionately benefit those on the lowest incomes), but given that social welfare already offers a significant disincentive to work I’m not sure I’d support raising those cash transfers by any significant degree.

Homeless are valid recipients of social welfare. That is safety net social welfare, not social welfare that discourages people from working.

Agreed. Although given the complex issues surrounding homelessness, I’d wonder what level of resourcing would be needed to put a meaningful dent in it?

Possibly big investment in addiction counselling and adult education, coupled with homeless shelters that provided a reasonable level of stability and security to allow people get back on their feet?

(But I know only enough about this to know how little I know, so…)

More than Bertie spent on it when it was obviously a huge problem for his constituents in his own stomping ground. It was the moment I came to the conclusion that they just didn’t care at all.

Galway getting 15 modular homes for families
connachttribune.ie/council-to-b … ilies-015/