Now 1.15M on myhome.
myhome.ie/residential/search … GKMB318336

Oct 2004, No 45, Withdrawn €875K, sold after
archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/200 … 062229.asp

Oct 2006, No 46, Asking €1.5m, sold at auction €2.0m
tribune.ie/article/2006/oct … h-gets-50/

Mar 2007, No 10, Asking €1.9m, withdrawn €1.75m, sold after for higher
independent.ie/national-news … 52306.html

Don’t know if the houses on this road are the same, but apart from large one at end no 47, they are not too dissimilar, I rent nearby.

These guys will be lucky to get Oct 2004 price of €875K. That would be 56% drop from Oct 2006 price.

error

In my opinion, this is a very significant property for the South Dublin forum.

This is a beautiful house on a beautiful road. It has “trophy” redbrick written all over it. Ok, it is not a prime, prime trophy red-brick, but it is certainly at the very least a median quality one for D6 IMO. Big kitchen, big garden, 4 beds, pleasing frontal exterior, prestige D6 address (and “Rathgar” is correct, although it is close to Rathmines Road Upper).

If €1m is now the ceiling on this property’s price and given we still see bog-standard semi-d’s and even apartments at €750k+ in far less desirable locations, I think the latter come under severe pressure when one of the prettiest homes for sale in D6 is “only” €1m (and not gone yet).

Next door, No. 47, is also for sale at €2.5m for 5 beds:
myhome.ie/residential/search … GXNA375048

IMO this is not half as charming a property - it just doesn’t say “trophy redbrick” as the other one does. I don’t see a parking space either. For over twice the money, these people have absolutely no chance with the competition up the road (further away from traffic too btw).

Frankly, I am amazed at the price for No. 41 for this quality and location and I think the bar has been set down another notch across a huge swathe of the market by this house’s latest price drop.

Would have to agree. I was surprised when this dropped to 1.3m and even more surprised it didn’t go for that price considering it was before the banking catastrophe blew up.

Lovely house and has parking, garage and vehicular access in big back yard - about the only house in D6 with all of those items… Most of those so called “Trophy” homes don’t have even 1…

Here is why I think this property is so significant. At €1.1m it totally, totally alters the outlook for all these properties below (all within a few hundred yards of the one above):

€800k
daft.ie/1420309

€770k
daft.ie/1250940

€1.05m
daft.ie/1396405

€1.25m
daft.ie/1347886

€435k/€460k (apartments)
daft.ie/1368136
daft.ie/1373386

€1.15m
www.daft.ie/1387066

If No. 41 Villiers Road is €1.1m, then the pricing of ALL these properties is way, way off - in some cases by 50% IMO. And we’re still only talking about asking prices.

Re 21 Coulson Avenue, Rathgar

'No.21 has been beautifully maintained by the current owners whose main emphasis has been on maintaining the character of the victorian era ’

PVC Windows obviously made an early appearance in Victorian Rathgar.

It is under 1800 sq ft and looks like it hasn’t been touched in a while. Needs new kitchen so probably new bathrooms too.

Is it really good value at 1.1m or is it just better value/more realistic than anything else out there at the moment?

Are people willing to spend 1.1m on a house in these uncertain times?

I dunno Claire, its in a fantastic location, nice garden, lovely house, if I had the dosh I’d be tempted to chance my arm at 800K

That’s exactly it LTR. If it’s quoting €1.1, what kinds of offers are they expecting? It must be in the €800-€1m bracket, right?

And if that’s the case, the €460k apartment across the road is worth €100k tops, and all the far less pleasing houses asking €750 - €800k are in cloud-cuckoo land when placed beside this very, very nice property.

IMO 41 villiers Road looks like it’s priced reasonably at 1.15m. But it may well be a ploy by the EA to attract bids and possibly ones over the asking just so they have something to put in the papers. You never know!

Nevertheless, some of the links posted do show that sellers in this area have unrealistic prices and there is still a long way for some to drop their prices.

Stooge, You reckon this is what the EA is up? :open_mouth:
How do they get paid? when they make a sale. This one has been up for sale for more than a year and is with a second EA at this stage.

property is worth approx. €800K (at 200 times monthly rent) - this time next year it’ll be worth €600K - then we are at realistic levels XD

I’d still only give 250K for it. Maybe 300 at a push. I’m basing this on what Morgan said that most gaffs like this one would only be worth 250K.

What a ridiculous statement to make…a house like that…in an area like that will always attract a premium…this nonsense talk of 250k…PISH!!