A Living Wage nightmare?

My German academic friends tells me the poor ranking of German Universities is simply due to the fact that they are chronically underfunded and the pay rates are crap. Anyone who can avoids working in a university in favour of much better paid, more prestigious and more interesting work in a research institute.

The particular ranking discussed here allocates a large proportion of points to having graduates which are heads of large corporations. Considering there are many more German companies in this category than irish ones the German universities’ performance does not look good.

Was just thinking he’s not as articulate as Elizabeth Warren, when he then mentions her, saying she is more articulate on these matters :slight_smile: but a pretty good speaker all the same.

Just doing a quick search - It’s been over a year since beans and shotguns were mentioned on this site. That must be a record, which I just reset, since the sites foundation.

Read Thom Hartmanns, “Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight” circa 2000. I always remember finding that book or in some respects it found me.

Bio Survival Tickets was a useful phrase garnered from Thom. A useful guide but I’ve moved away from the fundamental hook of AGW, I do think his Heart is in the right place. :smiley:

I think that’s why I enjoyed it very much, I found him very easy to understand, he made an awful lot of sense so much so that I ordered the book :slight_smile:.

That might explain the low number of German universities ranked in the top 100 at the outset but it doesn’t explain why the numbers have been decreasing and their ranking deteriorating every year.

The 2014 FT MBA rankings only puts 2 German business schools in the top 100, 66th and 89th no German business schools in the top 50.

Pretty much what I heard. Fee paying universities dominate the top positions as they can afford better facilities, equipment, resources etc for students

The fetish of an MBA is very much an anglo-saxon thing, I reckon. My German colleagues who wanted to get on had plenty of company funded training, leading to MSc and/or doctorate. There were a lot of doctors.

Anyway, I guess what this shows is that you don’t have to attract top talent to your universities to have a vibrant economy… ;0)

It might be very much an anglo-saxon thing but the Top 50 MBA schools included 3 from Spain, 3 from China, 2 from France, India and Singapore and 1 from Italy, Switzerland, Netherlands and S Korea
I’ve worked with quite a few Germans with MBAs and all of them studied for them outside Germany (I know, small sample size etc etc so might not be representative)

Should we not worry too much about Irish Universities poor rankings then??

And in these institutions, the classes are taught in?

That’s a good question. The answer, I guess, lies in why it doesn’t matter to the German economy that they don’t have leading unis. Is it the self-funding nature of the mittelstand? Is it the absence of the speculators mentality that seems endemic in Irish ‘business’? Is it employers that genuinely offer and encourage life-long education?

Well, I’d personally focus more on deliverables/results (which are in part measured for the rankings). Looking at the output of Irish universities (general quality of graduates, and overall skills profile of young people aged 22/23 (not all of whom need/should have been processed through university system), I don’t think we should feel too confident.

Part of it is that they actually make stuff in Germany. As long as they have a good supply of solid engineering graduates I would think they’ll continue to do so. The Irish government seems to thing that everyone should get a 3rd-level degree, even if they’re not suited to it and would prefer to do something else.

mainlymacro.blogspot.com/2014/07 … rc=nl_wonk

States That Raised Minimum Wage See Faster Job Growth, Report Says
The 13 states that lifted their minimum wage levels on Jan. 1 experienced added jobs at a faster pace than the 37 states that kept wage levels steady.

npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 … rm=nprnews

Correlation or causation on that?

You’ve a funny situation here in Ireland. It’s something that always comes back to me every summer, as we reduce staff hours. People still get some income regardless if they work the system correctly.

There is a healthy minimum wage, some might argue a bit too healthy but then on the flip side there is a healthy social welfare. Now you would think that generally you should have one over the other.

People get paid when they work, people get paid when they don’t work. The incentive to work or commit and evolve is reduced.

Now maybe in Joan’s head she thinks by virtue of ramping up of the minimum wage you achieve two things, the first clearly more money (and possibly more taxes) in the pockets of the worker but you put some distance between incentives to work and not work.

Menawhile the elephant in the room, cost of living is fed some-more and continues to poo on the floor with no one willing to clean it up.

Why? It’s a gummint report, not a peer reviewed scientific study.

It doesn’t claim to be anything definitive. It’s preliminary.

Do you dispute the data? Do you have your own alternative data?

It’s empirical. There’s only 6 months of data. Do you apply that standard to every news report you read?

Reading the article helps, their quote:

Yes

Good luck with that then.
So you say you apply that standard to initial reports of disasters that are frequently revised? To reports from the fog of war where truth is often the first casualty? You must have a very low opinion of the mejia?

That would be an eminently sensible approach.

Lately I’ve seen directly how the tobacco industry works in relation to the media. Even though big-tobacco is a complete untouchable in society at large, has a history of lying, and should raise alarm bells with any journalist, the tobacco companies can still put stories and statistics directly into the papers and other media with only minimal misdirection required. One concrete example is in relation to the amount of contraband cigarettes being sold in Ireland (which links back to gangland/terrorism/bogeyman-of-choice). I’ve seen stats on that in the media, and have heard normally savvy people quote them, and nobody seems to ask (1) what organisations the stats come from?, (2) what the methodology is?, or (3)who the stats as quoted benefit?.

I’ll give you a clue, in that (1) and (3) are the same. (2) is boring for a journalist to get into, bit boring to explain, but ultimately a rigged mechanism that gives the “right” answer as per party/parties (1) and (3).