A Living Wage nightmare?

Caught some of the debate on it on Prime Time last night, the guy from ISME was embarrassing and did his cause no favours.

Granted this is well and truly a government in re-election mode but that doesnt make it a bad idea.

How many thousand people are currently getting the minimum wage today in the country? I understand it isnt actually that many and hopefully a slight increase will encourage more off welfare to the lowest paid jobs. A pity the debate hasnt included looking at things like zero term contracts or supplementary income. Minimum wage going up might mean unscrupulous employers giving out less hours and looking for more Job Bridge candidates.

I expect just shy of half way point between SIPTU’s target of 11.45 and the current 8.65 will be agreed, 9.90 perhaps.

Not sure where that puts the State/Job Bridge scheme as it will be a long way short of minimum wage then.

No shortage of decent research on the fairest, most economically efficient way of addressing this issue. No need to invent the wheel!

socialjustice.ie/sites/defau … yfinal.pdf

Maybe it’s just me but I always thought we should be looking to see if we can reduce the cost of living before we look at increasing wages in the economy.

+1. Min wage in Germany is lower but cost of living is lower too.

if the unions and the left in general were clever they would be pushing for reductions in the cost of living before pay increases

they would have the support of every worker then

That would mean reducing the cost of housing though, which FG and Labour will never do.

ah… But you see, if they did that it would make it harder for them ( the union leaders, Lefty politicians Joan Brutal’s salary for example etc) to justify their own exorbitant salaries. :frowning:

irishexaminer.com/ireland/an … 15045.html

Low Pay Commission Bill passes all stages in Oireachtas

independent.ie/business/iris … 77574.html

The Cynics and the Minimum Wage
townhall.com/columnists/pauljacob/2015/07/12/the-cynics-and-the-minimum-wage-n2024343

So the unskilled and those on low or fixed income will pay for any increase in the minimum wage.

theguardian.com/business/201 … are_btn_tw

When a country already has as many in-work credits and benefits as the UK, I wonder how clear cut the effects of any fairly modest change in the minimum wage can be. Businesses and private taxpayers are already paying for topping up a lower minimum wage and assuming that the rise is going to be offset by a reduction in the tax take needed to pay for those top ups (a big assumption, I know, given the tendency of taxing, borrowing and spending to go only one way), I really don’t know that it’s going to make a big difference either to low paid workers’ standard of living or companies’ bottom lines.

Public Back Minimum Wage Increase To €143 An Hour (WWN)

How many quangos are we down/up to now?

Really, how many employers paying minimum wage also offer health care, pensions (other than mandatory PRSA, which they don’t contribute to), or bonuses? I would think very few. Don’t get me wrong, I think the minimum wage should be halved, but this argument isn’t valid IMO.

When minimum wages goes up, other employees demand their wages follow suit (this is the real motive behind unions calling for min wage increases). And I’m sure there are min wage workers out there, who have other in work benefits.

Minimal wage rules and/or collective agreements are used against new EU countries. We usually do not speak language of our host that well, sometimes not at all - and price is only thing we can use to compete.

Quoting from the locked thread for continuity:

We’re so far from Kansas… days when someone had an idea in government (that wasn’t lobbied, maybe rarer still) heaven forbid an idea, formed it, tabled it, electioneered on it and pushed through even having some follow through based on conviction. Regardless of the position taken you can see the beginning and end in one person or one government at least and they may fall a foul of their convictions or not. What we have here really is Parkinson Law in full throttle.

So to the first most important question:

Q1: How much has this Quango cost to date?

*Anyone able to pull out the numbers? *

Thats a strange statement to make and very untrue certainly for IT roles in software development or IT management. Salaries in these areas in Ireland are much higher than the likes of Italy, Spain, Portugal, even France, certainly higher than Eastern Europe and higher than the salaries you will see quoted for IT roles in the UK outside the central London area. Only some Northern European countries have higher or even the same salary levels and their cost of living or taxes are generally higher than here.

What happens when you decide to pay all your staff a minimum of $70,000: mobile.nytimes.com/2015/08/02/bu … ?referrer=

(It’s not all good)

FTFY