A Row of Harrisons - What Are They Worth?

Number 3 just came on the market, now making 1, 2 and 3 for sale.

As far as I know, these have never been occupied.

Harrison Row is a one way laneway from Brighton Road to Rathgar Avenue. These three houses were built on what was former light industrial premises.

The Brighton View name is just a made-up name to try to give some credibility to what is just a narrow lane.

1 Brighton View, Harrison Row, Rathgar, Dublin 6

myhome.ie/residential/brochu … n-6/407211
6 Bed Semi-Detached House 372 m2 4017 ft2
€1,775,000 - €441 psf

2 Brighton View, Harrison Row, Rathgar, Dublin 6

myhome.ie/residential/brochu … n-6/423177
4 Bed Detached House 227 m2 2,352 ft2
€1,385,000 - €595 psf

3 Brighton View, Harrison Row, Rathgar, Dublin 6

myhome.ie/residential/brochu … -6/1247618
5 Bed Detached House 359 m2 / 3877 ft2
€1,885,000 - €486 psf

No expense appears to have been spared in their construction and fitting-out. The developers must have thought they were going to make a killing.

The Google Streetview/Satellite and GeoDirectory (geodirectory.ie/GeodirectoryMap.aspx) pictures are out of date.

The south-facing gardens appear to be small and the off-street parking seems very tight.

So, are they just a mini ghost-estate in Rathgar or do they have any real value? If so, what is their value?

What are they really worth? Does anyone have any insight into what happened here?

edit : not 100% on this - the address on the Dublin City Planning site are a mess

Planning 3187/08

No comment on the value but I think they are spectacular. It reminds me of many of the nicer new builds in the Netherlands. Some friends have something like this, but on a smaller scale, beside a canal in Utrecht and I’ve always loved it. I could definitely see someone looking at any of these three, and completely losing interest in any of the two or three standard formats the rest of the houses in Rathmines/Rathgar fit into, and being prepared to pay a chunky premium per sqm for one of these.

All the existing structures look like they need knocking. Site value only is what this is worth.

They are really well designed and a top class fit out. They need to find 3 first time buyer consultants who are married to 3 senior counsels to pay for them though.

They look like something from a dystopian future. I think I saw them before in A Clockwork Orange. Anyway, why would you buy one of these on a pokey lane when, for considerably less, you could buy a fine redbrick around the corner on Brighton Road?

They look nice to me, but I don’t think the “Borg” style has universal appeal. They aren’t particularly large, and only have central location to add to their appeal. As already said, the real McCoy is a stones throw away and cheaper.
I’d have to say, they ain’t worth half that price. We need TWG to offer a pallet of pallets to inject some sense here!

It’s personal taste but I would prefer one of these to a redbrick around the corner. But I’m not in that market so it’s all hypothetical.

I like them too but it’s such a shame they’re not set back a bit further. while efforts have been made to increase light I reckon it’s not enough - Ireland is just too overcast.

They seem super high tech and green though.

Don’t have the $$$ either but that’s another story

I love these too, of course totally out of my budget and way larger than needed for a single person, but something in this style of a suitable price could be my forever house. Being down a lane doesn’t bother me, in fact I prefer it, quieter.

I am in love, I think the third is my favourite overall although the ground floor layout is not ideal. The other 2 are beautifully detailed but I don’t really like all the stick up bits. No attic would mean one of the rooms would be a junk depository, minimalist living is not easy when you don’t have an attic :wink:

Conflicting opinions - either love them or hate them. I am in the middle myself.

But what are they really worth? How do Estate Agents price these?

For an asking price of c €1.8 million you can get:

17 Orwell Park, Rathgar - myhome.ie/residential/brochu … gar/347527 - there’s only one Orwell Park

Homestead, 19 Rathdown Park, Terenure, Dublin 6W - myhome.ie/residential/brochu … 6w/1247481 - comes with 1/4 of an acre

pffft!

show some respect. Number one was designed for a sauna using, environmentally friendly, design conscious professional.

Don’t bring your plebeian concerns into it! :smiley:

I’m not. I hate them. The interiors are lovely, but they look like ugly concrete boxes on the outside. They stick out like sore thumbs considering what is on offer in the rest of the neighbourhood. I guess that’s the thing with modern architecture. You either love it or hate it.

A row a 'arrisons?

I’ll give you a monkey for 'em.

I like good modern architecture but seriously, these are what the fuss is about? They are nice but nothing spectacular and actually look cheap to me (and I don’t mean in price). A lot of houses built during the last 15 years in the main Australian cities look like these and they would be considered just above average. If anything they expose the lack of imagination and architectural merit of the average Irish new build over the last number of years.

Baby steps Haze, there are people who think the Zoe Developments Bachelor’s Walk complex is nice Architecture

When you compare them to the sprawling estates of semi ds they look light years ahead

#2 dropped to 1.2m (from 1.385m)
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=37146

#1 price drops also being tracked here
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=35601

Not so bad from the back, but from the street I’m not sure whether they look more like prison blocks or military bunkers, pug ugly either way and the gardens look like prison exercise yards. Sorry, but they do nothing for me, though No 3 is marginally less hideous than the other two. Then again, I think the aesthetics of domestic architecture went down the pan about the time Franz Ferdinand was shot. :laughing:
As for the price, I guess a 5 or 6 bed in Rathgar is always going to be a premium house, but for that money I’d want more than a bunker down a laneway, even a large bunker down a Rathgar laneway.