AirBnB planning permission Dublin?

@Kerrygold

Any update to provide on this thread? (I see that you have posted a reply that apparently has no content.)

Any information that you can spread on this matter?

You do understand that the worldwide anti-AirBnB campaign is usually backed by the hotel industry. It’s interesting that this movement is supposedly pushed by someone other than the rip-off hotel lobby.

I’m not a free market fanatic, but AirBnB is the poster child for markets working precisely as they are supposed to. Hotels gouge customers, customers say “frack you! If the professionals run a cosy cartel, we’ll go with the amateurs who provide vastly better value.”

Badly behaved customers is an insane reason to deprive a person of much-needed income.

If a person behaves in an unacceptable way, the correct response is for the Gardaí to be involved and arrest the rowdy lads.

I’m certain that there are electronic devices available cheap on the market that can detect when a guest is making noise above a prescribed decibel level. Provided it’s inexpensive, I’m cool with requiring airbnb users to have one in the house whenever tourists are coming. If/when tourists act the mickey, they lose their deposits, and they should also be required to deposit something painful, like €500, which will cover a fine and maybe a little compo for the delicate neighbour.

However, if bothering neighbours is really so terrible, what about crying newborns?

If I can bankrupt my neighbour by abusing planning permission because I’m losing my beauty sleep to an over-excited tourist, then can I also require that my neighbours have to get planning permission to have a baby in the house?

Disturbing a person’s sleep is fine so long as it comes from a baby, but not a tourist?

Sorry but no. If you choose to live in a city, noise is an inevitable factor and should only be regulated by the criminal law and the police and no other state agency.

This legal battle can’t be cheap. I’m surprised the the resident’s group were able to afford the tens of thousands of Euro that such a legal struggle usually costs. Does anyone suspect that they got “a tiny bit of help” from a certain tourist-gouging hospitality vested interest lobby?

The Management Company, if they are Kerry based, probably (then that depends on who they are) have a legal arrangement in place with a signed off restriction to non letting out.

Perhaps, or, Perhaps Not.

It seems that the judge has determined that there is a case to be heard.

I am reminded of where in the case of an estate that I know that the sale contract for houses in the estate included a clause that disallowed purchasers, or members of their household, or family, or acquaintances from making any planning submissions with reference to any developments on the site or adjacent to the site, or, with reference to any developments being put forward by the developer elsewhere.

This is going to be interesting.

Since I wrote my post above I learned of a landlord acquaintance who is in the process of removing their 15 properties from the market as leases end and putting them on airbnb.
The whole concept has had a remarkably easy ride so far, both for customers and property owners in the product delivery and in the media and regulatory bodies in terms of criticism. There are many things that will inevitably go wrong that people on both sides of the transactions, mainly due to their blind belief in the “disruption”, “shared economy” kool-aid.
Firstly, in Ireland, someone will be ruined financially by a personal injury suit when a guest suffers a catastrophic injury causing paralysis or similar. If you have drunk people traipsing through properties weekend after weekend this will happen to someone somewhere sooner or later. Airbnb offer $1m cover which is hopelessly inadequate and I’m sure they’ll do whatever they can to shirk payment.
There will be a huge scandal involving voyeurism /secret filming of guests. Given the amount of perverts in the world, number of airbnb properties, and ubiquity of recording equipment I guarantee that this is happening already.
This summer I expect the first Irish reports of bedbug infestations in airbnb properties. Hosts will see entire year’s profits and more evaporate when they have to call in exterminators and throw out half their belongings.

These are just a few things off the top of my head…

off the top of my head apartment leasehold agreements can forbid wooden floors without adequate soundproofing, dogs (especially above a specified weight) - if people think you have aright to turn your apartment into the YMCA (minus the cowboy/Indian) and have a load of drunk randomers wandering the corridors/courtyards without your neighbours properly objecting then you have another thing coming

cgsolicitors.ie/buying-apartment-ireland/

businessandlegal.ie/why-buying-a … gal-issues

odpm.ie/_fileupload/Buying%2 … %20NCA.pdf

Exactly right, slasher. My current complex has fines for breaking the tenant’s code though I’ve heard it threatened more than enforced. AirBnb hasn’t become an issue yet but it would only take 1-2 incidents and it would be before the management board’s AGM very quickly.

The permitted use in 16 apartments is private residence as per covenants in lease.
Planning permission is residential use. Any overnight commercial guests must get planning.
Holiday lets invalidates the block insurance policy.

Thank you Kerrygold.

And this is exactly why I can’t believe the easy ride being given to Airbnb in Ireland in the middle of a ‘housing crisis’. Even allowing for journalists being under staffed etc, etc, how hard would it be to find a few listings that are clearly being used commercially as examples of properties developed to meet the city’s estimated housing needs being taken off market.

I also think Joe might be a bit naive if you think there’s vested interests on one side only here. Airbnb spent $9million plus in SF organising against the referendum there and has been fairly aggressive in political donations, advertising, etc all over the US.

Remember that they are one of our poster-child FDI docklands companies artificially inflating GDP. So the government here ain’t gonna touch them.

Thank you for highlighting this, and I tend to agree that the company itself will not be impinged upon.

However, the trading enterprises that use Airbnb as their host do now appear to be beginning to be affected, if not by government, then by 3rd party other interests.

This issue comes back, at its core, to the various Planning and Develoment shenagins that form the ills upon which rest so many of this countries misfortunes.

irishtimes.com/life-and-styl … -1.2750329

Irish Times hack does real work and doesn’t like it shocker

He’s on with Pat Kenny now discussing this

You mean it’s not just free money?

The Irish Canny just won’t quit.

The term ‘politically incorrect’ seems to be becoming ever more overloaded. It’s complaining about political correctness gone mad, Joe!

The Agenda AGM for one of the apartments I look after came in the post. The last point is
“Apartments being used as Airbnb units - security implications and breach of lease”

I wonder does it being the last point mean that they won’t really do anything about it? Is it more a polite request thing?

He’s on Ray D’arcy show now!
Such an interesting story too!!!

What are the government planning that explains this sympathy tour?

Are there any journalists making the argument that it helps tourism with all the extra accomodation?
I’ve used AirBnB in Ireland, UK, USA, Germany. Mainly cheaper and closer to the city centre.

I also let out our spare room on AirBnB occasionally.
It’s rather simple and forces me to tidy the house. :smiley: