AirBnB planning permission Dublin?

Yep. AirBNB has the same problem as eBay has had for decades; reciprocal review systems are almost worthless, because both sides are afraid of a retaliatory review. So everyone rates everyone else highly and there are lots and lots of lovely five-star-reviewed hosts and guests on the website, but the ratings are not actually informative.

This isn’t entirely airbnb’s fault; no one has a particularly good way of doing reciprocal reviews.

I guess blind reviews are a possible solution… You must submit within 48 hours but don’t see the reciprocal review until both are written and locked

irishtimes.com/life-and-styl … -1.2837428

Sob story from Negative Equity PR friendly

shure the students in neighbouring apartments are awful inconsiderate neighbours too…

The idea that “it was the apartment what got us into negative equity”. It’s funny how language and syntax morphs under the weight of feelings and ideas. Finally, inanimate objects like apartments become active subjects in sentences, while the human owners settle into the role of object, mere pawns in the schemes of bricks and mortar.

I think the whole Aerbeeunbee thing is pretty much a sideshow. If supply was being activated, both unused property and unused sites and building thereon, then this would all just wash through the system and nobody’d be worrying about it. But it becomes more topical to talk about this than simple structural housing/development market issues, and lots of middle aged people get to talk about the “new tech trends” and show they know what an AtmosphericGuesthouse is.

Kids are masters of the passive voice.

My 7-year-old last week: “I need a new lunch box”
Me: “What happened to your old one”
Him: “It broke”
Me: “How?”
Him: “I threw it really hard and it hit the ground”

AirBnB reviews are blind.

You can’t see the other persons review until you write yours.

You can also leave private feedback to each other.

Then you can give confidential feedback to AirBnB.

thanks; I don’t understand why they are so useless in that case

Ah, right; did this get changed at some point? I remember there being a fuss about people leaving retaliatory reviews in the early days; haven’t paid much attention to airbnb in a while.

I don’t think it’s a sob story. I think it’s a fairly written account of someone who made a mistake in their 20s by taking out a large mortgage (as did thousands of others, many for very understandable reasons), and has been living with the consequences since. She had very few options, and now AirBNB is providing a way forward. Too easy just to slag her off.

She doesn’t have a capitalist bone in her body

she’s employing a lot more self justification than most non-sob stories.

She’s basically trying to preempt a ban on AirBnB in her complex by presenting her personal financial issues without acknowledging the downside AirBnB brings.

Who’s liable if an AirBnB guest goes psycho instead of drunkenly buzzing the wrong apt?

There are others living in the complex in Neg Equity , if AirBnB devalues their apartment, makes their lives miserable what do you say to them??

I think she addresses most of those issues. It would seem there is more anti-social activity from regular tenants than AirBnB ones. Maybe in the longer run management companies could charge more for owners who let on AirBnB (if there is more wear and tear etc)?

Airbnb host claims he sub-lets 40 rented rooms in Dublin

irishtimes.com/news/ireland/ … -1.2841981

Just as well he deesn’t have to busy himself with research or reviewing thesises/thesii(whatever they’re called) which most other lecturers at institutes of higer education would be struggling with.

At the moment I’m finding a new tenant for a friend of mine and it involves a huge amount of work.

Does anyone have a ball park idea of how many apartments in Dublin we might be talking about here?

Unsurprisingly the AirBnB site makes it nearly impossible to tell.

This sounds like a very significant factor in the cost of renting in this city.

[edit] To answer my own question (and sorry if this is posted further up the thread), this article from March of this year, which quotes a figure of " 1,469 homes/apartments currently available to rent in the Dublin city council area alone with 1,682 homes/apartments available to rent around Dublin" led me to this site: insideairbnb.com/

It appears that there are 2,365 “entire homes or apartments” currently advertised on AirBnB in “Dublin City”.

Rather than referring to “The rental crisis” should we not be referring to the AirBnB crisis?

Bolton St DIT by the sounds of it is where he lectures

I simply do not believe it’s that high.
You can actually have your property ‘listed’, but block off the entire calendar, making it effectively unbookable.
I also get the feeling that a lot of people caught up in these statistics airbnb their property for 1 or 2 weeks a year, when they go abroad themselves.

The 2,365 figure probably includes every single listing airbnb has in the City, whether it’s a permanent offering or a one-week-a-year mortgage filler.

Yes but it also excludes all the individual rooms for rent which would otherwise be house-shares.

I’m just annoyed I didn’t think of it.
I might investigate the feasibility of this is my local small town.

There isn’t as much scope for it in a small rural town. Certainly not mine. I had considered it a long time ago as a means of self-financing a pied-a-terre back home.
Hotel prices are cheaper down the country. Demand isn’t huge.
I could have done it but it was hardly worth the hassle and I had fears of a brothel setting up every few weeks in the place.

The really busy airbnb lettings are close to the Centre of Dublin and are depriving working people of affordable accommodation close to their places of work while at the same time inconveniencing other residents around them.

Where are the cheap hotels you find on the continent that underminete airbnb business?