AirBnB planning permission Dublin?

I hate to be the “I told you so guy” but…

The injuries suffered by the various parties in this case would probably tot up to 8 figures in the High Court here-ie financial armageddon for the host. The lesson: you’d have to be nuts to open your doors to the public in this country without unlimited insurance.

theguardian.com/technology/ … om-balcony

Apartments in Dublin 2,4,6 get €62k pa compared to €25k pa for a normal tenancy
pbs.twimg.com/media/C1opfGwWQAAa6B1.jpg

I airbnb some properties of mine in-between corporate.
€62,000 is a theoretical gross with zero voids, using a minimum nights stay of 1-2.

A more realistic ***net ***revenue for a 2 bed in Dublin 2 would be in the region of €32,000pa.
You want to stay away from 1-2 nights, as this brings in the stags & hens.
So a minimum of 4 nights stay is an essential.
This ups the void, but it’s worth it.

Lots of airbnb management start-ups want my properties on their books.
I simply tell them I need to get €32,000pa, just as I would from corporate.
They’re welcome to the remainder.

So far no bites.
If it were as good as the article suggests, my hand would have been snapped off.
The reality is, it’s not.

Basing an article on an operational gross revenue is simply misleading.

Without doubt Airbnb offers landlords better returns however they also require a lot more effort and incur additional cost.

Can someone clarify if this answer is waffle or is there any substance?
Q. To ask the Minister for his views on the impact a company is having on the housing and homeless crisis kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2017-01-19a.23

irishtimes.com/life-and-styl … -1.3042753

:unamused:
yes. nothing says cautious like 100% loan to buy an apartment and not registering for the NPPR

From the same article:

…isn’t this a fast track route to negative equity again? The deposit is there to protect people from themselves!

My understanding is that the deposit is there to protect the banks from a drop in prices and therefore being unable to realise full value of the mortgage if they repo the property. However given that in Ireland it is practically impossible to repo an owner-occupier unit the 20% deposit requirement serves no useful purpose for owner-occupier mortgages that I can see.

The four Dublin Councils have issued 35 enforcement orders for illegal short-term lettings in the last two years. This is despite at least 2,500 properties being illegally operated.
Today’s Sindo.

50% of long-term rentals are airbnb in Kinsale. In Kinsale!
This is according to an estate agent who was on Newstalk this morning.

TDs tell us they need to regulate Airbnb to protect us from rising rents & house prices

It annoys me that the government allow AirBnB despite all the obvious adverse effect it has on the property market and city centre life yet bans Uber, something that would have the same disruptive effect but would positively affect more people than it would hurt (arguably only the taxi drivers).

ft.com/content/afb21842-aec … aa44b1e130

Someone casually mentioned my [mid sized] home town was very popular on AirBnB because of a recent tourism initiative. It’s incredible, a few rooms and a few old style BnBs but mostly entire houses. Some are also for sale but most aren’t.

There’s SFA for rent currently. Literally one house last time I looked

Is Airbnb a fad ?
I can imagine using it for a 6 month corporate relocation.
But give me a hotel for a holiday.

Or am I simply from an older generation ?

you don’t have kids do you? :smiley:

when there’s 3/4/5 of you plus bikes etc a house close the sea/cycling works well. That seems to be the target market in the town I’m referring to above

for a city break as a couple I’d prefer a hotel alright

True.

Galway City Council

The evidence is there for years on airbnb.com, yet the Council refuse to enforce the material use requiring planning. What a cop out.

The extra money helps the banks get paid.
It also generates more revenue for the government.
But most importantly, Ireland also hosts Airbnb’s European HQ.

The Irish government can hardly be seen to bring Airbnb here, take their taxes, then tell them they cannot operate their business on our shores.
So the solution is really not to do anything.
The government isn’t going to do anything.
The local authorities won’t do anything unless they have no choice (i.e. complaints against individual cases), in which case they will.

A guy in my office was selling me the advantages of renting my spare room on Airbnb- he rent the apartment himself but decided to rent out the second room to cover the entire rent on the place (its in D7 and he gets €60 a night during the week and €90-120 on the weekend nights). I asked him about how they calculate the tax and he said they don’t- he’s been doing it for 2 years and Airbnb haven’t contacted him and neither have revenue.

Was this not all exposed a couple of years ago and these were no longer allowed to be classified under the rent a room scheme?

Anyway, I’m going to down the airbnb route for 6 months and see what I think- I’m not waiting for the government to do anything about this so I might aswell join the gravy train and help pay down my mortgage.