airbnb

indeed but evrey time i hear someone telling me as a paye worker that i dont pay enough tax i think back to my effective rate of taxation is 50%… and i know there are reductions on that with allowances but think about that for a minute, the government takes 50% of your wages and provides a very poor set of services for the tax we pay.

I can never look at my pay cheque and not curse for the sheer wedge of tax I pay and why crap services across the board and still huge waste in the system and that’s why I think people are not too harsh on some people making a few bob extra though airbnb.

we lost an opportunity for a root and branch reform of how we spend money when we went bust, that topic until wont be touched until we go bust again in 5 to 10 years…

Jesus. Pathetic stuff from the Indo.

And as for that guy blaming AirBnB for his tax evasion…

Well it seems as though in their minds it makes sense - though I would imagine they probably wouldn’t be making €12k anyway.

In my mind the rent a room was introduced, as someone else said, to promote people renting out rooms and to alleviate the pressure on the rental market - which is a good initiative, especially in the context of today’s market where any rooms for rent help house people in the seemingly severe shortage of rental properties. The amount was recently increased, I would think, to take account of the fact that rents have risen and that having a higher threshold might encourage others to rent rooms and encourage existing rent a room landlords to continue renting rooms without fear of having the whole amount taxable if they exceeded the limit.

I can’t see why airbnb hosts feel entitled, other than perhaps lack of clarification in previous years of the legislation, to earn up to €12,000 from engaging in a trade tax free. It is a trade after all, basically operating in the same way as a B&B, even if food is not necessarily provided. It involves turning over rooms, cleaning, changing bedclothes, etc. It isn’t a case of someone moving in long-term and taking care of the room and house themselves, although I realise that some tenants could stay for weeks and maybe months at a reduced rate.

Let these people renting out rooms to tourists, etc. rent their rooms to irish residents on a long-term basis to help the current housing crisis, like I imagine the legislation intended - they can still have their income tax free then.

Same here. It just seems like a strange state of affairs really, no wonder the hosts are up in arms.

True enough, but there maybe some who are, indeed there maybe be cannies out there renting 2/3 rooms out though and in the right location they could easily make 12k in 3-6 months.

I believe it was introduced in 1997 to alleviate the student rental problem (citation needed will source later).

I heard one host say that she lets to companies for their staff for longer durations and that this then involves cleaning, changing linen etc… Hard to say that this is not a trade to my mind.

But it’s an easier 12k than having someone living with you full time though isn’t it? I can see the attraction.

there’s another obvious point - the “host” renting out her spare room for a few bucks was depriving another " a struggling actress and bartender" of affordable accommodation in the Big Apple…

Yep, thought of that too and actually sent a text to PK after listening to him and Cliff Taylor ignoring that aspect this morning.

I linked elsewhere here on the forum a story relating to the pressure being caused by AirBnB on studio space in new your similar to the last few comments.

I now realise I’m aware of at least two apartments in Dublin City centre that were formerly your typical city centre apartment lets have been on airbnb for at least a year or more, so they are off the market and each within 100M of the other.

I wonder how much the airbnb affect (and any other similar sites) are having on the supply levels in the traditional residential rental sector. I’d imagine Dublin city has the highest airbnb presence.

Can anyone source figures from aibnb easily?

The other thing to figure out is comparative required occupancy rates for the same yield - assuming residential is 100% how many nights of airbnb occupancy do you need?

Wouldn’t you need to have insurance if you’re an airbnb host?

Clearly you don’t work in the sector,so to educate you I will post 23 posts on each inspector.

Lets start with the obvious

The Hotel inspector

He should stick to places advertising themselves as “hotels”.

If your effective rate of taxation is 50% then your annual income is in the millions so I have very little sympathy for you :slight_smile:

It may be that your marginal rate of taxation is 50% or so (mine is) which is a quite different thing entirely.

I wish Skippy… point taken though. I just hate paying tax and seeing it wasted so badly.

Bondholders gotta be paid. The malteaser gotta get his debts written down.

Low level tax evasion…get caught, just pay a few quid and we’ll all move on

Revenue will not look to prosecute Airbnb hosts who didn’t pay tax

Unless AirBnB look for policy documents, then I doubt it.

What, if anything, do the long leases between apartment owners and their management company say about peer to peer accommodation. It must cause some problems and if management companies have the power to stop you putting a satellite dish on the outside wall they should have something to say about a nightly letting with tourists coming and going

Yes, but they will reach into your bank account and collect any monies owed including penalties.

Additionally they will publish your name as a tax defaulter if the amount plus penalties is over €5k

I think the publication threshold is higher - 30k or so