airbnb

You are right

“Note: Settlements are not published where the amount is less than the threshold (€12,700, €30,000 or €33,000), where the amount of fine or other penalty does not exceed 15% of the amount of tax or where the taxpayer has, in advance of any Revenue investigation, voluntarily furnished complete information relating to undisclosed tax liabilities. Penalty determinations are not published where the amount of the penalty determined by a court does not exceed 15% of the tax due in respect of which the penalty is computed, where the aggregate of the tax due, the interest on that tax and the penalty determined by a court does not exceed €30,000 or where the taxpayer has, in advance of any Revenue investigation, voluntarily furnished complete information relating to undisclosed tax liabilities.”

3,773 listings on airbnb dublin of which 1,682 are entire houses/flats.
insideairbnb.com/dublin/

Great link. That’s a lot of properties not on the normal rental market. I wonder are many dual listed at all.

Some are.
:nin

Most of the country has seen almost no change in properties advertised to rent, compared to a year ago. But the number of smaller properties in central Dublin – where demand for short-term lets is concentrated – has grown by almost two-thirds. Close to 400 one- and two-bed properties were advertised in under three weeks, up 150 from the same period last year.

Increase in available rental properties in Dublin ‘likely related to collapse of tourism’

Might be a good time for people who are in crappy accommodation to find something better. Generally (although not always as friends of mine discovered) better quality places on AirBnb. It’ll also be interesting to see what happens in the student sector - a lot have gone back down the country as their college year has effectively ended now - but they probably had made a years commitment. They might sublet the remainder though. Quite a few foreign workers - especially those on visas relying on part time work in the service/restaurant industry to fund their studies - have gone home - mainly South Americans and some Eastern Europeans.

Landlords will have trouble enforcing a tenancy against students who head home.

“Your Honour, I had to quit the premises because there were fifteen of us sharing a three-bed semi and my Mammy said it wasn’t safe”

Force Majeure if I ever saw it.

I suspect it won’t be just students who they will have a problem enforcing a tenancy against. I would expect LL’s to be receiving calls from existing tenants in short order telling them the rent needs to be dropped or else they will move out. The more pragmatic LL’s will probably come to a sensible deal.

unemployment has gone up 4% in the last week, loads will have moved out or contact landlord shortly, BTL arrears about to spike?