Aldi, M&S to start selling apartments

Hmmmm…

oh goody. more supply.

on a more serious point, if they can achieve lower build costs than their already built competition, then they can afford to sell them at a lower price yet still make the same margin. i wonder will any lessons from the bust be incorporated into the design of these appratments (i.e., larger appts with more storage space).

Whatever about Mary St, another 100 apartments in Balbriggan is not something anyone requires…

XX

Now while I was expecting to see some houses selling at Aldi prices…
I didn’t expect to see Aldi actually build them :slight_smile:

They’re not. They are building apartments.

In fucking Balbriggan!

They will be required to - the Planning regulations regarding apartment sizes has become quite good in the last couple of years. The other thing that has been really tightened up is the insulation requirements.
It’s only a pity it didn’t all come slightly earlier in the boom.

Still, NAMA will manage to set a floor on prices…

Will it though? Would it not be more accurate to assume with the gov getting involved that we will likely see prices drop twice as fast?
It’s not like they have a great track record of fixing things :slight_smile:

Iim surprised with both stores mind… Aldi is expanding so you would assume any extra revenue would go into focusing on expansion plans… M&S could struggle a little with the more premium nature of there product range so I would be expecting them to focus on retaining cash reserves. Where can either of them see the upside from this?

Doesn’t make sense why don’t they just buy up from over supply stock and issue stamps that people can collect in books and get an apartment for 5 books of Marksaparts stamps.

My thoughts exactly.

Although this isn’t the first time Aldi have tried to get planning for apartments.

planning.fingalcoco.ie/swiftlg/a … 5&backURL=<a%20href=wphappcriteria.display?paSearchKey=482036>Search%20Criteria%20>%20<a%20href=‘wphappsearchres.displayResultsURL?ResultID=493938%26StartIndex=1%26SortOrder=rgndat,apnid%26DispResultsAs=WPHAPPSEARCHRES%26BackURL=<a%20href=wphappcriteria.display?paSearchKey=482036>Search%20Criteria’>Search%20Results

Ahh Balbriggan. Darndale part two.

Cant wait for the M&S ads for these shiny new apartments… it’ll be back to 2005 with Belmayne…

These are not just apartments these are M&S…

There is plenty of demand in Balbriggan for apartments…just not the shite that was built recently and at current prices.
Well built, decent sized apartments, at a good price will always have no problem selling in any area relatively close to the capital.
The price point these are pitched at and the size will be interesting to see in this post balloon days. Anyone have any link to planning permission/size/spec details ?

I’ve highlighted the bit in bold to indicate the discrepancy in your logic.

Anything to declare LTR?

Haha, i wondered if I’d be picked up on that, in my defence your honour I did use the word relatively!

Only that I wouldn’t mind a well built, decent sized, cheap apartment myself :slight_smile: The hint’s in the name.

Someone mentioned insulation in these appartments,you’ll soon be able to cover your loft in all the paper money you will have printed by the ECB,much cheaper than buying expensive loft insulation. :stuck_out_tongue:

The phrase “Stick to the Knitting” comes to mind. Eejits.

I wonder if the chick who did the sexy voice overs for the M&S food ads will be called in to do the advertising for this. Couple her voice visuals from the guys who did Belmaine poster campaign and even in today’s climate I reckon they’d shift a few units.