Ann Marie Glennon Cully vrs Axa Insurance

S

Rest of the story on this link

irishexaminer.com/ireland/mu … 22789.html

For a household insurance claim, the allowance for alternative accomadation while the repairs are carried out on your house are typically a set percentage of sum insured.
So if this lady had a high sum insured on her house, she would have been able to claim up to €7,500 pm in line with the terms of her policy.

independent.ie/irish-news/co … 81597.html

Judge asks family living in Four Seasons to consider ‘more modest accommodation’

Ms Glennon Cully had engaged three loss adjusters but dispensed with their services, three engineers “met a similar fate” and a broker “likewise departed the scene”, he said.

obviously not just AXA who find her difficult to deal with. Even €700 a week would get you a 3-bed in a decent neighbourhood, rather than insisting on all cramming into a (admittedly posh) 1-bed apartment.

Had a look at the house on google maps, nice. You could rent a serviced apartment or a house and cleaner and have change out of that money.

Just saw this update:

Full story:

independent.ie/irish-news/courts/family-in-insurance-dispute-must-move-out-of-four-seasons-hotel-29306725.html

The Queen of the Entitletariat!

It’s a crying shame that with the loss of the house and the expenses of the four seasons and all, that they couldn’t afford a more convincing looking rug for the son.

I wondered why the kids were joined in on the action.
Strange old case with a separation and death mixed in. Did she have any insurable interest in the property? Were the kids names on the insurance policy? The children seem to be adults.

ie.vlex.com/vid/linden-ltd-v-glennon-56491003

I’d have taken any money going and kept my head down.

they spent all the cash on his dapper jacket

Having had a number of experiences of dealing with insurance claims (both at work and at home) I’d say she was right on the button.

Insurance claims have become an adversarial affair so you need to ramp your claim up to the max in order to ensure you’re well covered come the inevitable horse trading which produces the final figure.

God help the ‘honest’ sap who claims only for what’s required since the insurance co. will only pay a proportion of the claim no matter what.

I wouldn’t be enamoured with the abilities of loss assessors (the guys you employ to help you). Like all who you employ, the quality can vary dramatically. And given the fact most people are pinning a tail on a donkey when it comes to hiring one of these guys - having no previous experience of claims, I can see how you might find you’ve gotten yourself a turkey or two.

The advantage of spending the very max. you can squeeze out of your policy, in terms of alternative accommodation achieves two things:

• you ensure you’re relaxed for the fight ahead. Nothing worse than sitting in lesser accommodation whilst the insurance bide their time inducing “claims fatigue” in you. And bide their time they do.

• they’ve more of an incentive to settle your claim when you’re racking up accommodation costs which you clearly aren’t in a hurry to vacate. Granted even a luxurious apartment would be trying - but the insurances loss adjuster will be getting it in the neck when all that is seen by the bean counters is a string of invoices for “The Four Seasons Hotel”

The time and stress of making a claim isn’t covered and to a reasonable degree that’s fine. But the cost of insurance co. delaying tactics and the batting down of every aspect of your claim brings extra stress and demands of your time. This does need to be adequately compensated for. And a ramped-to-the-max claim is the way to extract those monies.

Except when you go ‘all in’ from a poor starting position (dodgy title) and it blows up in your face.

Mr Justice Peter Kelly my second all time favourite Judge (after Dredd)

You wouldn’t be saying that if you’d been in his court and watched him glance to the press box to see if his often shoot from the hip comments were being recorded.

Or if they ever let him near an abortion case.

I agree. Loss assessors work for a percentage of claim settlement.
Which will maximise their revenue the most? (i) spending their time so as to maximise the volume of claims they handle or (ii) spending their time fighting for the claimants’ interests and pursuing the claims to the end despite all the stonewalling and delay tactice from the loss adjusters insurers.

My view is that a lot of loss assesors operate on the basis of finding out what the claimant will accept (or even telling them they should accept a figure) and then ‘communicating’ this figure to the loss adjustors/insurers.

e.g. house damage, claimant should be entitled to €30k but is not fully versed in their entitlements.
Loss assessor reckons they would accept €20k, the insurer is willing to settle for €20k now.
If the loss assessor fights for claimants rights, they might get settlement amount up to €28k-30k after six month fight.
Loss assessor aranges settlement of €20k from loss adjustor (who works on behalf of insurance company). Claimant accepts settlement.
Loss assesor pockets 10% fee and moves on to next case.
Happy days for loss assessor.
Good relations maintained by loss assessor with loss adjustor and insurance company

More worringly, the loss assessor will deal with claimant only once. However the loss assessor will be repeatedly dealing will insurance companies and loss adjustors. Whom do they want to ensure they have long term cordial relations with?

From my own experience, I would not use a loss assessor myself, but handle the claim on my own.
I can also confirm that some insurers are a Royal pain in the ass.