Architect to certify a Land Registry compliant map

With 2 weeks to our closing date, my solicitor has just informed me I need to pay an architect to “certify” the boundaries of our property on a Land Registry compliant map. This is despite him having a map I supplied to him last August after following his instructions back then.

Anyone got this done?

Or indeed, does anyone know an architect around SCD who won’t charge an arm and a leg to call around and do this? (Small house - “urban” garden.)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Yes I had to get this done when selling a house also.

But my architect is in Wexford. I cant remember how much it cost but as he did the original plans for the house I dont think it cost us very much as at all.

Your solicitor is giving you reasonable advice in regard to the certification.

It may not be necessary that it be done by an Architect (check this with your solicitor) but someone with appropriate professional qualifications, training and experience and who has proven suitable certified (i.e. certified by the insurance company of that person) professional indemnity insurance would be required.

Typically there are 3 professions that can do this for you: Registered Architects, Chartered Surveyor and Chartered Engineer.

So price around.

Also, don’t trust the steam from your breath on a cold day to any of the above “professionals”!
You need to also check and double check the boundaries of the site yourself and check any issues that may be on the deed including rights of way, access for wayleaves etc. etc. And the acreage and the lengths of boundaries and the allowances that they are all within the tolerance of what is written and described on the deed maps and within the deed title writings.

Take no chances with any of your professionals. You need to look after your own skin here! This is Ireland.

I know a reasonable architect if you need one pm me.

Thanks folks.

I did question that it had to be an architect to certify the map as it struck me as daft, but, no apparently so. That said, I have little faith in my solicitor anyway.

Will make some calls though…


EDIT: will drop you a PM sotoole!

It does not have to be an achitect. we used an IAVI approved and registered surveyor when we sold last year. or maybe it was ICS, I dont remember but she was a surveyor not an architect.

Assuming the vendor has to supply the map, where do I buy a land registry map - is it in land registry office itself or ordanance survey? Does it have to be a particular scale?
Family member just informed that he needs this to complete sale on Friday.

If anyone can PM me with details of someone who can do this for reasonable fee I would be very thankful.

You can go to the Ordance Survey office in the Phoinex Park, or if there is a Snap Printing outlet near you they are licenced to print them.

You can purchase OSI Land Registry Compliant Maps from OSI Agents:
You can aslo purchase them online:
I believe you can also buy a suitable map from PRAI:

If you phone the OSI they will post you out a land registry map of your road (for about 30 quid).

You the need the architect/surveyor to come out and measure your boundaries and mark them on your map.

EDIT: I see we’re all experts now!

Just been told that I have to have this done as well prior to the sale of my property. Is this compulsory even if it is just a semi on a regular estate with clear boundary walls no right of ways etc. it seems to me to be a racket for the professionals to give each other jobs. My solicitor has nominated an engineer having already nominated an architect for building compliance. Why he couldn’t he have done both Just seems to be an endless paper work to give little jobs to mates

Someone could do both.
I don’t think it is merely endless paperwork - there is significant legal liability attached to each document [cert of identity, opinion on compliance with building regulations and opinion on compliance with planning], which is not covered by the solicitor [it is not his job].
I agree that it can be done by any of the 3 professions mentioned above.

Simply follow the link GD provided. Find your house - either by zooming/panning around the map, or by entering your address in the Search dialog in the top tight. Then click BUY MAP.

There appears to be some sort of magic formula applied. A map for my street comes up at E48. This is an example of what comes out

You can do this yourself. If you’re getting some sort of professional to do it for you expect a visit from the wallet inspector.

I guess this document is to prove you’re selling “a semi on a regular estate with clear boundary walls no right of ways etc”. 8)
But as selling costs go, it’s not the most expensive thing you need to do.

It didn’t bother me as much as having to pay my Household Charge last week!

Provided you have the insurance to cover it, you can do it yourself…

Or if you want to create concerns with the purchasers solicitor when selling your house. Which you should really avoid.

Re the cost of OSI maps - the surveyor, architect will be able to do this over the internet and can include it in their fee. It is a waste of time and effort getting the map yourself for the architect/surveyor to mark.

It is hardly your solicitor’s fault that you don’t have your own mates to give the work to! Getting those guys is your responsibility. It is extra work for the solicitor to do it for you. Also, you should already have had a cert on compliance with building regs. Why is your solicitor having to fix these problems for you? I hope you are paying him/her for this additional non-legal work. Only joking, people should work for you for nothing - they can eat their pets if they need sustenance - you’re worth it.

Maybe I missed something. The map is the element that needs to be Land Registry compliant. I took the words “Land Registry Compliant Map” to mean just that. So long as you are proficient at locating your property, the map that you create should be ok. Otherwise what’s the point of the public facing application?

Why would you need an architect to place his signature on something that is already compliant?

The OSI map has to have the property boundaries manually outlined on it. The map by itself is just a series of black lines with no indications as to what bits of land belong to which property.

So while it’s quite simple for you or me to outline (or inline) in red pen where the boundaries of the property lie, the consequences of doing it wrong are such that the land registry require someone qualified (and insured) in this type of activity to do it. These maps form the basis of the land record going forward.

Also, not all properties are as simple as semi-d’s, however we clearly can’t have different rules based on an arbitrary declaration by an owner as to the simplicity of the property.

The OS map means nothing [as Conor says].
Nobody else involved in a property transaction [solicitors/land registry/registry of deeds/ordinance survey] can tell you exactly what property you are buying - it is not their job.

The architect/engineer/surveyor must confirm what the actual site is - and whether or not it looks anything like the drawing supplied by the OS. They also need to record any previous errors and easements to which the property is subject and makes a variety of other declarations regarding the nature of the property and any development on it.

The a/e/s is the person who gets sued for any mistakes.

It is not merely a signature for the sake of it.