Areas in Dublin

Hello Pinsters! This thread aims to help first-time buyers (most of them would have limited budgets < €250k looking to buy a house in Dublin). We would like to learn from those of you who are more experienced to share your views on Dublin areas which are underrated or up-and-coming (or in other words represent a good value for money - having my continental European roots I believe that property in here is still overpriced and the combined behaviour of policitians, media and estate agents trying to create another bubble is rather worrying :frowning: ) if you feel these areas have some hidden gems and are expected to become more popular (i.e. convenient location, planned developments, etc.), can you please share them with us? So, let’s bounce the knowledge/ideas from each other:

Question 1: Which parts/areas in Dublin do you consider to be up-and-coming?
Question 2: Can you please explain why?

Q1: Stoneybatter
Q2: close to town, luas redline, phoenix park, popular amongst young professionals but most houses are small

One thing the bubble taught us: gentrification often takes a lot longer than one might suppose.

I think Larry’s point is important; what is your time frame? If you fancy yourself as a developer/speculator/investor/flipper [delete as appropriate] and are hoping for the “rising tide” of an up-and-coming area to quickly boost the possible sale price of your purchase above other locations, then, IMHO given the economic and demographic outlook you will be very disappointed if you have time horizon of less than 10 years (and that’s being generous).

On the other hand, if you are looking at a family home, somewhere you’ll be for 20 years or more, then there are some locations that could be interesting, however, keep in mind that both economies and demographics change, and an area’s reputation can drop as well as rise. You could buy in an area only to have what the existing burghers perceive as “a bad element” move in resulting in them moving out, or for the local school to be perceived as under performing leading to migration or a drop off in demand. Buying a property, regardless of the purpose is a massive financial commitment, attempting to pre-empt the “moods of the market” over a multi-year time frame is a huge gamble.

I know a lot of people cite how prices in certain areas of London increased above both the local historical trend and regional average during the 80’s, 90’s and 2000’s. Dublin is not like London. Here we don’t have a cohort similar to the thousands of City workers earning 6 figure sums that are the driving force in creating these new “upper-middle class” clusters from previously “undervalued” (as the EA’s might suggest) ones. Dublin also lacks much of the social infrastructure investment that goes hand in hand with such change.

In answer to the topic of the thread, IMHO, areas that will be interesting to compare how they evolve over the next 15 years included Soneybatter (for the reasons listed & the investment being made in the areas, but keep in mind, the area has been expecting the investment for over a decade already) and locations such as Rathmines, South Circular Road, Cabra & Phibsboro, all because of their proximity to the city centre and as a result of the changes to the Pre-63/Betsit laws. These areas may become more family oriented if we see a number of “brave” buyers undertake the process of converting multi-unit Georgian houses back to single family properties. Equally, it might not happen and the areas could “hollow out” and fall into a general state of dereliction if the current land lords don’t upgrade their properties and just board them up waiting for next bubble to arrive before selling.

As ever, Caveat Emptor.

Blue Horseshoe

I think a more realistic title would be “Under-rated areas in Dublin”

“Up and coming” has a whiff of the canny about it

i think east wall is a case in point here, and north strand. although much development has happened they remain problematic. also cabra. a lot of inward migration. still the same in appearance.

-glasnevin north / finglas east - some roads are obviously better than others, and the nearer to griffith avenue the better

• marino - houses small, schools good

• fairview - see above

• phibsboro could be interesting - there are a lot of manky bedsits in that area ripe for re-development

• whitehall - throwing it out there

• ballymun - not quite yet. there is a good school in this area though. the gael scoil.

-killester - throwing it out there

Eastwall is interesting. i have been cycling through eastwall/east-point to my work in a few couple of years; however I don’t see any change. only an aldi store which will open this summer (near fairview). on the other hand, recently announced investment (new offices to be built on the north part of liffey river) could potentially have some positive impact on that area.

The north docklands area is the place to watch.

on what basis is east wall where it is at for young couples with young children.

Just what Dublin needs - new offices!
Sorry!

Yep it does. NEW ones, not old Victorian and Georgians houses, or the 1960s shite, but NEW ones

Whatever about the Sixties product - I doubt if there’ll be an exodus from the period properties for a certain size and type of firm to spanking new crystal palaces in places like Eastwall!
My sarky comment was in the context of the vast acreage of un-let modern space all around the city.

Sorry Tis, not meaning to be mean. There is a shortage of large plate 3rd generation office space in Dublin. The IDA have identified it as an issue, and that’s why the Central bank have gone with the Anglo structure, as options are limited in Dublin for large corporates.

Point taken - probably a lot of the recent spec developments could not take a Yahoo or the like.
Sad to see the amount of ‘new’ empties around though - had some time to kill recently when visiting a relative in the St Vincents ‘Caritas’ convalescent home and roamed around Elm Park beside it - ghost town!
Ugly and, for a recent development supposedly state of art and prominent location, really cheap looking with lots of rottening timber and bare concrete too!
It’ll look worse than the pick of the Sixties crop by decades end!

I had friends who lived in Killester and Donnycarney, and loved it there. I think they might be worth looking at for a long term place to live where you won’t get totally gouged.

I don’t know if I’d be brave enough to take a punt on somewhere ‘up and coming’ myself, never mind recommend to someone else. In principle though, I would look for

a) somewhere that is undervalued compared to ALL its neighbours. e.g. parts of Dun Laoighaire, Ringsend, Ballinteer seem to be surrounded by more expensive neighbourhoods.
b) somewhere that has a reasonable turnover of house sales. gentrification will take forever if only one house a year goes on the market
c) proximity to some sort of amenity or employer. e.g. wherever the new children’s hospital finally gets built, it could drag up a few areas around it

I’d also talk to the Gardai and make sure that there isn’t serious criminal activity in the area

Yes, but most of the Irish bankers have left and are keep their heads down in Portugal.

Very good thinking. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Killester is a very nice place, but prices nearing those of Clontarf :frowning: Donnycarney is a very good value in that area (and was told by one of the estate agents as well); however houses selling in Donnycarney are “not that appealing” in my opinion.

Hi folks,

I am always curious about East Wall, largely because we live in an apartment there. It’s proximity to town and to the IFSC, as well as not being a bad commute southside (from experience) suggest to me that it should be more attractive to buyers than it obviously is. Any time I’ve seen internet posts, however, it has been mentioned that there are a lot of social problems in the area (which I think that we may be a bit sheltered from living in an apartment). Again, some lovely houses on North Strand asking very little (Roisin Ingle had a sort of ode to North Strand in last Saturday’s Times mag). However, something is keeping these areas from being attractive to most buyers despite convenience of location.

What are peoples’ thoughts on cheaper ex-council estates in areas where the wider area is considered good (have good schools around etc.)? In other words, tick a lot of boxes for people except for the fact that they are ex-council. I’m thinking of places like Patrician Villas in Stillorgan, most parts of Monkstown Farm etc.

E