Asking price less 20% should I?

There is a house on the market I am interested in, the asking price is reasonable relative to prices in 2010. I offered 25% less than the asking price. The EA said they would not accept it but said that if ‘I did my best’ they would not ‘hang around’
If I offered asking price less 20% would I be future proofing myself against potential falls to come??

thanks guys all advice welcome…

It is impossible to say without knowing whether the asking price is reasonable in the first place. Could you post more info?

You’ve made the offer, if someone else betters you then you can think about ‘doing your best’

Not knowing the price your offering and for what sort of house etc. it’s difficult to say whether you’re future proofing…if I were you I would sit tight on the 25% less offer and let them wait for someone better

EA speak for a seller trying to squeeze your last penny out from you.

+1

Pinsters (or least this pinster!) would be interested to see the link on myhome daft. Won’t buy it behind your back. Promoise 8DD

They’re squeezing you. Stick where you are. It’s the EA’s job to get as much as they can.

On the pricing, try to see what the house or comparable houses went for around 1999/2000. If it’s about that price (adj for inflation) you are probably ok. I think that’s where we are headed.

At that point you should have offered asking less 30%. They have no other offers, let them go swing.

Where would I find 2002 prices?

myhome.ie/residential/brochu … -3/1282533

this is the house. Hope this link works

I can’t really argue if you are looking at parting with 430k of your hard earned money to buy in this location. Someone else can advise on the prices here, but it isn’t cheap or expensive imho (although looking at Google Streetview, it looks more like where I grew up in Tallaght).

I do have certain rules for buying a house and this breaks a number of them:

1. Never buy a house with an “a” in its number - it was built by your next door neighbour to make a few quid.
  2. Never buy a house that does not have a wall around at least one side of it. Otherwise you will have Tom, Dick and Harry all using your driveway as a right of way
  3. Try to avoid buying a house with a flat roof - in my experience, it always leads to problems.
  4. Make sure you have a decent back garden that gets enough sun. Otherwise it will suffer from permanent dampness and grass will not grow.
  5. An converted attic should not count towards the number of bedrooms - its an addition (so, this is a 3 bed with converted attic).
  6. When buying a house, always consider security. How easy is it to break into compared to neighbours. This house looks very insecure (low back wall, not enclosed)
  7. If house is open plan, make sure there is a structure that stops the heat escaping from the entire ground floor every time you open the door.

Also, unless something was done with the driveway, it looks very small - what if you have two cars?

Now, of course this house does have a value, but what you have to ask yourself is how much would you pay for a property that doesn’t have these rules.

Plan that whatever you pay for this, you could be stuck in the house for the rest of your life (it could go into NE or you may not be able to get a mortgage in future).

asking less 50%, minimum. That’s a crazy price.

No square footage, so difficult to gauge.

fourth bedroom is an attic room? “City garden”?

Agree with Macface. This house doesn’t tick all the boxes. If you’re prepared to pay that kind of money just to live in Clontarf, then go ahead. I certainly wouldn’t buy it, even at half the price.

Live around the corner, love they area, would pay a premium for it (to a reasonable extent) and realistically our house has dropped alot in value over the last few years like everyone who bought 2005-2007…but seriously you’d have to be a bit off the wall to pay 400k+ for that. Where interest rates are heading and the level of delinquencies increasing, you have to think this type of house will drop substantially below 400k - someone will buy it no doubt in the interim, but there will be more.

see this view on street view; it’s be easier for random pedestrians to get into your driveway that for you to get your car in

maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=53 … 39,0,6.12

or even this view…

maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&layer … 00284&z=19

house is finished nicely which is always a draw, nice estate in a nice location which is always a draw but 400+ K for this in my opinion is a bit strong. It doesn’t look like a whole house really, no proper walls around the front - the side entrance looks off too imo, and the open plan sitting / dining means its little more than a big apartment in my eyes. Burn some toast and you’ll see what I mean !
I think by the time this shit has landed you’ll buy a very nice detached 4 bed in Clontarf for that money easily.

2 of the bedrooms have a width of less than 8ft which means they will only fit a single bed comfortably or a double bed with one side butted to the wall and no space for furniture…I just recently saw this online
myhome.ie/353326
which I think is in a good area, has great potential (yes I know, shorthand for ‘needs a bit of work’ so if you’re intersed in turnkey then fair enough), an admittedly small back garden but a garage etc and much larger floor area by the looks of it. I think the house you’re looking at is almost bubbleicious in price for what it offers and looks to be around the 900sqft mark…there has to be better value in clontarf

In answer to your question: no, you should not. As you know in your heart of hearts this house will sell for far less in a year or two. Judging by your ‘single again’ moniker you are in a troubled emotional state due to the recent break-up of your relationship. This is natural but buying a home to lay down some roots is not the answer to soothe your soul. It is a nice area by all accounts and there is much to recommend it but the house itself has too many drawbacks. No, sit still for a while; move to new rented accommodation if you need to remove yourself from the painful reminders of your failed romance; and, one year hence, when you have fortified your battered esteem and you are thinking more clearly you will obtain much gladness from the realisation that you made the right decision. Indeed, I hope we will find you then ensconced in a new and enduring liaison.

Just be careful with this area. Look at the Google map, Conquer Hill
is quite close to this area. When I grew up Conquer hill had a right few
shapers and hardchaws living in it as they are Corpo or Ex Corpo houses.
Probably has quietened down in recent years.

Not casting aspersions but it had a few guys living there involved in petty crime,
break ins and drugs, majority of people from the area were salt of the earth though.

It strikes me as a typical late boom house.
It’s designed and built to squeeze every inch out of the site for maximum value.
In fact, I’d wage it’s an extra house the builder squeezed in at the last minute.
It’s detached, but only barely so.
The front garden is just big enough to fit a car and walk around it, the back garden is just big enough to not be a court yard.
It’s over three storeys which means instead of four bedrooms upstairs and 3 - 4 rooms downstairs, you get only 2 rooms downstairs (or in this case 1 really big room)
It’s as narrow as they could get away with.

Why not offer 20% less than than the asking for this one instead? It’s already asking slightly less than the house you mention and there’s no question of which is the superior property:

www.myhome.ie/223038

The first house will settle at 50% less than the current quoted price whereas I can’t see the one on Howth Rd dropping by more than another 25%.