Bailout Extends to Universities - Top-up pay won't be repaid

Looks like living beyond your means won’t be punished for the universities either.

independent.ie/lifestyle/education/latest-news/topup-pay-for-college-staff-wont-be-handed-back-to-state-3147572.html

The payments (especially for the top 3) obviously gave them an unfair advantage over other Irish institutions. Hard to see why this is tolerated (although as Quinn’s alma mater was the worst, it might be hard for him to put the boot in).

As usual no one is to be made culpable for this:

Ah, bless.

That’s mad money to spend on Irish 3rd level, considering how few genuinely world-class departments there are.

Unauthorized payments? How could that even happen. No oversight at all it seems, and now no punitive measures. This wouldn’t happen anywhere else without nice tenured positions being sacrificed.

I completely agree with the previous poster. Ireland is not a world destination for education. There is no way people should be paid salaries in the six figure range UNLESS they brought substantial income to the institution via patents etc. This does not appear to be the case. It appears people just needed top ups to their salaries you know because erm well they weren’t happy with their salary.

I love the use of the phrase top up too. Like a pay as you go phone. Excuse me dean, I spent all my money, I need a top up. Cheers mate! Off to invest in a housing estate you see!

That’s mad money to spend on Irish 3rd level, considering how few genuinely world-class departments there are.

That’s ok, they’re worth it so they plan to make sure students pay more.