Binmen & The Flying Fruit-pickers

But but but…Minister for Justice Charlie Flanagan said there were no passengers travelling on the ferries for stuff like this. And if anyone tried it, the Ferry companies would vet and stop them!

Why don’t we just leave the pickers at home and grow the fruit over there?
If that’s good enough for bananas and pineapples, why isn’t it good enough for strawbs?

“The firm’s annual turnover exceeds €300m and it employs up to 2,000 people, three-quarters of them in Fingal. It has told planners that in order to run its business it NEEDS to hire seasonal workers from abroad for several months during the harvesting season.”

From an environmental perspective, I suppose the relevant question is whether or not each agricultural worker picks his own weight in strawberries, since that will determine the fuel efficiency of the decision…

That’s a fair article. And what is probably an unpopular opinion is that most Irish people would be too soft or lazy to stick it out for very long doing physical work on an Irish farm, given both our weather and the alternative Irish social welfare. From the experience of my youth I can tell you that it is very hard going.

What I hope that this episode highlights further is the race to the bottom that the agricultural industry has become in this age of globalization where the retailers and processors amass large profits while paying farmers, farm workers and labourers in the processing industry a pittance for both raw product and labour.

Fwiw I know a bean counter in Keeling’s, mentioned over Christmas How’d they’d lost the Lidl (?) Contract so times were tough. Yer one from Keelings is not to be be trifled with.

I did a my share of manual labour in summers in secondary school and college, even then it was difficult to get workers - well before the Celtic Tiger and EU expansion. Townies on the dole were particularly useless.

RTE’s Tony Connelly: Varadkar actually asked EU permission for Keelings workers to come

Ireland, the Korean Air of Europe!

Time for a General Election asap (oh yea but there is no one to vote for right?!) - The Continuity Caretakers are beyond reproach at this point.

Yeah but isn’t he back doing Doctor stuff now. Great leadership and all that…

Its so FN depressing.

A bit unfair to single out Leo - it looks like all EU leaders asked for this? And the EU agreed. Not much to see here really…

Well apart from the hypocrisy and misrepresentation I guess not. Look over there…

Jesus wept😪

6 to a 3 bed apartment, 8 to a 4 bed.

O LUXO, say the boys from Brazil

Sure we knew that last week. :wink:

Cross post, flight from Bulgaria to Shannon, repatriation or fruit pickers?

If this article is to be believed, people may not leave Sofia for rural Bulgaria for fear of them infecting others.

They may however, travel to North County Dublin with very little impediment

Gardaí cannot arrest NI visitors for breaches of Covid-19 restrictions

Garda Headquarters has informed senior officers all over the country that the restrictions on movement to stop the spread of the coronavirus do not apply to people on day trips from Northern Ireland and that powers of enforcement cannot be used on them.

Gardaí in the border region have also been ordered not to arrest anyone from Northern Ireland for suspected breaches of the Covid-19 regulations because they do not have the power to do so under the emergency legislation introduced by the Government.

RTÉ News has learned that there is a lacuna in the regulations signed by the Minister for Health which gardaí have been told means they do not apply to people who live outside the State.

The gardaí’s policing policy to stop the spread of the coronavirus has been to engage, explain, encourage and only if necessary enforce the emergency legislation.

So this only applies to mexicans. Jesus sake what a friggin set up

Game Over.

I think its probably down to the drafting of the legislation ie youre not supposed to stray more than 2km from your place of residence…but if youre residence isnt in the State then you cant be in breach.

Youll note the report specifically refers to day trippers again suggesting that people residing in a hotel or bnb are likely subject to the same restrictions as everyone else.

Im assuming its the above because the alternative is to suggest that there is active discrimination at play.

Excellent example why you should not just quote but archive all articles especially when dealing the regime pet propagandist Pravda, the headline has been changed, not sure about the body of the article yet.

Original headline

Gardaí cannot arrest NI visitors for breaches of Covid-19 restrictions

Changed to a more regime acceptable “nothing to see here”:

Dept of Health: No anomaly in virus regulations but possible issue with NI citizens

The cat is out of the bag. Game Over.

The link now opens with the following text which appears to be the major change:

The Department of Health has insisted there is no anomaly in the Covid-19 regulations but accepts there could be an issue with people from Northern Ireland travelling to their holiday homes.

The regulations were brought in to restrict people’s movements and prevent the spread of Covid-19.

Earlier, Garda Headquarters informed senior officers all over the country that the restrictions on movement to stop the spread of the coronavirus do not apply to people on day trips from Northern Ireland and that powers of enforcement cannot be used on them.

Gardaí in the border region have also been ordered not to arrest anyone from Northern Ireland for suspected breaches of the Covid-19 regulations because they do not have the power to do so under the emergency legislation introduced by the Government…