Britain leaving the European Union.

@poacher Basel III was extended on the 31st of March this year untill Jan '22.

It must be Basel 4. Basel 3 is in about 5 years ago.

A general election looks nailed on now.

https://www.politico.eu/article/brexit-quiz-scenarios-no-deal-remain-general-election/

Most scenarios seem to end with an Election being called

An email I recieved today from Google -

We’re updating the Google Payments terms of service

As the UK’s relationship with the EU evolves, we’re making changes to the Google Payments Terms of Service so that your services continue to run smoothly.

Nothing about your experience using Google services will change.

Starting 4 April 2019, these services will be offered by Google Ireland Limited instead of Google Payment Limited. Following this transition, you’ll still be able to see all your past transactions at pay.google.com and Google Ireland Limited will take over processing your payments and information in accordance with the new terms of service.

One of many companies moving services over to Ireland.

@E92_335i yeah, I got one of those too; I’ve never used Google payments, so I thought it was spam! Maybe remoaner propaganda!

Anyway, today:

It sounds like one of those weird compliments to me!

Nigel says it’s a treaty, not a deal.

@Epicurus Basel III extended, according to wikipedia:

Basel III was agreed upon by the members of the Basel Committee on Banking Supervision in November 2010, and was scheduled to be introduced from 2013 until 2015; however, implementation was extended repeatedly to 31 March 2019 and then again until 1 January 2022.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basel_III

Theresa May’s overriding concern of not splitting the Tories is looking a bit shaky. Having lost Nick Boles when his Soft Brexit plan failed, she lost two ministers yesterday over “dealing with a Marxist” like Corbyn. She’s now lost more ministers than any recent PM:

And many Tories who haven’t resigned are in deep trouble with their local constituencies:

The deselection campaign is particularly malign, much like the tactics Momentum use.

Anyway, the chaos continues. Passing the extension bill by 1 vote makes it ripe for filibuster. IIRC, it has to pass the House of Lords and then Committee; where any amendments made have to be re-debated in the House of Commons and then voted on.

Any guess as to what if anything Maybyn can come up with?

Then you would have to assume that was a political pretence. A subterfuge, dressed to kill.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Italy’s Gold

I must say I enjoyed this one.

It’s complete bullshit though:

Britain stood ready with a £3.2 billion emergency loan when Ireland faced bankruptcy after the financial crash. Indeed, we have agreed to go to the back of the queue of creditors, behind the IMF, when it comes to repayment.

Er, no. Britain offered a loan at a decent, but below market at the time, rate. In part because UK banks were also being saved by the Irish bailout (contagion effects of a disorderly Irish bank wind-down would have hit London first). Ireland has tried to repay the British loans first, since they’re high interest relative to the rest of the debt; this has been refused with the full term (and interest demanded).

So let’s rephrase the narrative, despite bankrupting itself to save British banks operating in a reckless fashion with near no regulation in London (as the BoE has admitted), Ireland has been abandoned by a myopic Britain that sees party politics as more important that good neighbourliness. Plus ca change!

In addition, it must be remembered how change in UK’s bankruptcy laws by Gordon Brown in 2002, allowing bankrupts there go free in only TWELVE MONTHS, surged the amount of risky debt flooding into Ireland because the pain of going bust was not much pain at all (hanging out in London for a year and flying in to Ireland every few weeks for beers with the boys, good eh?). Britain’s change in bankruptcy law was a severely hostile act to Ireland and the rest of Europe (Sevenoaks in Kent became known as ‘bankruptcy capital of Germany’ by the tabloid press), George Osborne the UK chancellor who ponied up loans to ‘help out’ Ireland was well aware of UK’s sinister and central role in the Irish bust, which is why people in the know refer to the loans as ‘guilt money’

This is a pretty good speech that provides a sense of the type of political outlook that may hold sway across large parts of the continent of Europe after the next election cycle. Not that anyone in ireland seems aware…

The faded post-imperial power limping from crisis to crisis. Maybe I should put it in the irexit thread?

Interesting video, clearly shows that some EU Eurosceptic parties are worried that when the UK leaves, their positions will be weakened and the French (& southern EU countries) will become the main leading countries.

Eurosceptic’s in Europe appear to need the UK to remain to ensure their presence is sufficiently large enough to have any influence in the EU parliament.

Charles Moore is really going loopy

Frightening level of ignorance at so many stages right there.