Britain leaving the European Union.

…Mayday! MAYDAY!

She won’t be around to frustrate Brexit much longer. F*** Business…and us

Assuming this turns out to be accurate, it looks to me like Brexit has become, for the British, a cultural issue in much the same way that abortion and divorce were for the Irish over the past 30 years.

It appears to be less about the realities of the arguments around the topic and more about which side of the cultural divide you choose to place yourself on or be seen to be associated with ie traditional/national V global.

The left/right thing has been obsolete for a long time now. The world has changed or is in the process of changing.

It didn’t seem possible, but it seems May has made things worse, so much so that she has been told to announce her resignation date tomorrow or face a No confidence vote. The 1922 committee will change the party rules if she does not go and many in the party will leave if she presses ahead with the plan to publish the withdrawal agreement bill.

It’s such an omnishambles. A leadership election will see promises made by candidates that cannot be delivered. A general election could bring an even worse parliament.

Ideally the Tories would like Labour to take the flack for whatever goes wrong. I think the best Tory strategy might be to hope that Europe just kicks them out. Or maybe ‘Norway for now’ ?

Clucking bell - as Blackadder would say

Good analysis to call it traditionalist/nationalist vs Globalist/Internationalist, as opposed to the old left/right split. It’s taking Ireland a long while to catch up on the developments across similar Western European countries, but catch up they will, eventually.

How about Freedom Vs Tyranny :whistle:

Which side if Freedom and which is Tyranny?

The world isn’t changing at all. We’ve seen this all before, particularly in Ireland. Brexit is like a successful version of the Workers Party or the Progressive Democrats even. It’s a successful revolution which will result in failure for all. But looking at the parallel with the Stickies for a second

• looney assertions about how you are the only ones truly ‘speaking on behalf of the people’ (for the PD’s it was ‘the national interest’) while following a looney ideological agenda with notions of mad-eyed purity
  • foreign funding
  • right about some things, but right about them for the wrong reasons and intentions
  • mendacious propagandists

There is no clear eyed way to look at Farage and feel reassured. Even when he’s right, he’s wrong and mendacious generally.

The headline of the article is a little bit odd. It totally ignored the 2nd biggest party

May-to-day gone.

While the senior Tories start scrambling to try and take the top job, British industry continues to collapse. Are the 5000 jobs at British Steel not even on the radar anymore?

These sorts of comments are food and drink to the Brexiteers and other nationalists voting between now and Sunday:

Juncker lashes out at ‘stupid nationalists’
‘What I don’t like in the British debate is it seems more important to replace the prime minister than to find an agreement among themselves,’ Commission chief says.

By Zoya Sheftalovich

5/23/19, 9:59 AM CET

European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker called out “stupid nationalists" in an interview Wednesday, on the eve of the European Parliament election.

“These populist, nationalists, stupid nationalists, they are in love with their own countries,” Juncker told CNN. “They don’t like those coming from far away, I like those coming from far away … we have to act in solidarity with those who are in a worse situation than we are in.”

https://www.politico.eu/article/juncker-lashes-out-at-stupid-nationalists/

You don’t have to like him, but fair fucks to Farage. There isn’t a person in Britain who could have done what he did.

I’d say that graphic is horse manure. A poll aggregator on a European election is worthless. Plus I could be wrong but that shows a Conservative seat in Scotland. They can’t be serious

UK is using the D’Hondt system - while the Scotland result looks unlikely the Tory vote in Scotland has been increasing and there have been Tory Westminster seats in Scotland for some time now - its the only 2 SNP seats that looks odd to me - but they have been falling out of favour recently so it’s maybe accurate despite looking a bit odd - and I think the Lib Dems and Labour would certainly get one each so I would view Green and Tory as equally odd.

Some are speculating that the Tories will lose every seat.

Hopefully this fella goes.

They have the first results in the North East incorrect. 2 brexit one labour.

Your probably right as to the inaccuracies of the remaining seat calls

Rugby’s #euelections2019 results declared:

Change UK - 1,075
Conservative - 3,330
Green Party - 3,140
Labour - 2,937
Lib Dems - 6,255
Brexit Party - 10,987
UKIP - 1,224

https://mobile.twitter.com/rugbybc/status/1132753755739500550

Rather than clog up the Brexit thread - click here to continue in Dedicated Thread for EU Elections Results 2019

Comments worth a read, some say it’s out of context and thus the opposite.