Building Energy Rating may reduce sales of older houses

From Jan 1st 2009 all houses will have to have a Building Energy Rating Certificate before they can be sold. This certificate will rate the energy efficiency of the house based on factors such as insulation, type of heating etc. Its similar to the rating you see on electrical white goods

I presume this have a negative effect on values of older housing stock

“Feckin’ left-wing green party airy fairy crap. It’s codswollop like dis from dem tree-huggin’, Prius drivin’ nut-wits dat make houses so expensive for everyone. Concrete built is better built – feck the environment.”

Overheard this rant from some fat CIF member wolfing down an over-sized lamb shank in a hotel carvery in Co. Roscommon.

I think you might be asking the wrong question skiver, maybe you should be asking if this rating was applied to all of the new builds over the last ten years (because its obvious the government have known about this for a long time) and if not why not, was it another sop to the construction industry?

The fact that it is being applied to older houses is a good thing to make them efficient and reduce waste plus keep some money in your pocket.

I think the energy rating will really show what developers have been putting up crap and which ones have been doing quality builds.

Depends on how the measuring is done - do people have to go out and measure the performance, or do they just have to say “50mm of insulation - that’s grand”.

That’s easy - “All” and “None” respectively.

I believe the measuring is a paper excercise.
It’s to be done by the architects at the design stage.
Obviously the built product is likely to perform worse than the stated rating.
Blower door tests, which measure the amount of air coming in through drafts, are possible but possibly not feasible for every house in the country.
Although when you consider the price of a house it’s probably worth doing it.

A little unfair. Look for SEI grant approved houses.

Is there anyway to override the paper by having a proper rating done, or the paper rating is the be all and end all?


I would say that whatever way has the easiest escape clause for the developer will be the method introduced as the best.

That is true for the current system - which applies to new build houses built after the legislation was brought in.
Older houses will also be tested from 2009. I do not believe they have yet finalised exactly how this is to be done - I assume some practical things must be done - air tests etc.

so this is something determined pre built, rather than each time the house is sold? Even though I’m sure these insulations degrade over time?

Perhaps your surveyor will do it now as well?

It is determined pre-build and the same certificate is then handed over each time the house is sold. I’m not certain what happens if the house is extended, the windows are changed, the boiler tweaked etc - all of these would affect the rating.

Rockwool etc. settles losing its thickness, PIR and PUR insulations probably lose insulating value due to offgassing. Can’t think of any other insulation degradation.

If he is suitably qualified, has the necessary equipment, pays the €1000 a year fee to the SEI to be registered, and you pay him for the work - yes.