Burn, Baby, Burn

So Scully, do you believe that all the fires in so-called recycling centres are definitive evidence of alien involvement? Or perhaps the farce of so-called re-cycling where rubbish is simply stored expensively because there is no longer any market for recyclables means that companies are torching their premises because they cannot afford to meet their financial obligations they undertook in order to win waste contracts? Or perhaps recycled rubbish is just more prone to the phenomenon of spontaneously convenient combustion?

irishtimes.com/newspaper/bre … ing12.html

13 October 2012 - Fire at Dublin recyling plant

edie.ie/news/news_story.asp?id=23007

15 August 2012 - ‘Olympic blaze’ at recycling centre remains mystery

telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ … entre.html

13 August 2012 - ‘Largest London fire in years’ erupts at Dagenham recycling centre

irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire … 47168.html

28 July 2012 - North recycling plant fire one of biggest in years

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-18477984

17 June 2012 - Tavistock recycling centre fire

thejournal.ie/fire-panda-bal … 9-Jun2012/

22 June 2012 - Suspicious fire at second Panda recycling facility

rte.ie/news/2012/0614/fire-c … meath.html

14 June 2012 - Extensive damage has been caused by a fire at a big recycling plant outside Slane in Co Meath.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-17180029

27 February 2012 - Crews fight Haverhill recycling centre fire

Does any other type of industrial facility burn-down with such amazing regularity?

If we had an incinerator, at least we could get some benefit from all this heat.

we do !

Such sites tend to attract certain types of people who wouldn’t think twice about throwing the odd match!

+1
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. Failing that, burn the bloody stuff to generate electricity and reduce use of something more expensive. :unamused:

A serious financial penalty for accidental fires would prevent most accidental fires.

irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire … 59670.html

Came across that incinerator in Duleek in the line of work and it seems that waste is now actually a commodity and that the price varies from week to week due to fluctuations in demand.

I’m not trying to be smart, but don’t you mean that it’s a liability and not a commodity? Surely there’s nobody paying for waste?

If it’s viable fuel for electricity generation, why not?

I asked and I learned. Thanks!

Oh yes, they actually buy in waste from other European countries. Waste is actually worth money now.
Couldn’t believe it until they showed us the setup.

And meanwhile, just down the road…

From RTE…

I’m going to guess they are rubbish collection trucks.

I’m on my fifth green recycle bin this month. You only have to look at it and it starts sparking.

Here in D12 we are enjoying the stinky fumes of it all!
Actually glad that it started raining a while ago to allay the stench and God knows what particulates and foul vapours.
I cannot help thinking that, between deaths in service of at least two workers and the few fires we have had in facilities, this recycling business is a lot more dangerous than anti-incinerator environmentalists may think!

Still the stink of burned plastic hanging around here today.
I had a quick spin into town at lunch and could notice whiffs of it in Camden Street and along SCR depending on the gusts. Mrs Myself cleaned off the clothes line before bravely chancing some washing after the showers - the cloth she used was filthy black and there is definitely a film of gunky dust on the windows that was not there Friday.
Neighbour has a relative in the Fire Service who informed he that, had we not had showers yesterday and last nights gales not been accompanied by rain, the place could have blazed for a week!

Serious question: Will Oxigen face any penalties for this?

Depends on what caused the fire to break out. If it was arson, why should they, they’re insurers will penalise them enough. If it was due to negligence, then maybe the breeched health & Safety directives (storage of the gases etc). Given the ferocity & duration or the fire, I’d say the chances of finding any evidence that you could prosecute off are slim.

Maybe all dumps and recycling centres should be obliged to buy “Pollution Insurance” which would payout directly to the state in the event of such a heavily polluting fire.

Then you’d have to consider what other types of pollution you should be protecting yourself from.

I’ve heard some very interesting stories about pollution from pharma plants in Cork; no nasty smoke, but plenty of long term damage to the environment !