Burning-men 2017, Witch hunts and beyond

was the bedroom witness not the first independent person to see her?

I suppose, but that’s even worse if you think about it: if you don’t call for help when your attackers are interrupted, well then all is well.

yes thats what i meant, i think the girl is a stronger witness for the defence than the taxi driver is for the prosecution, and on that basis they will probably get off.

In one breath you extol the benefits of societal reeducation programmes in the next you point to how malevolent societal reeducation can be.

Being a man is not a pathology.

Not at all. As far as I understand, the good colonel is merely pointing out that all social habits are merely the result of habits of thought and behaviour and that as a society, we’re free to choose what habits we want to inculate. You pays your money and you takes your choice. :smiley:

But being human probably is. :frowning:

Fortunately, I and the rest of the extraterrestrial shapeshifting lizards are probably innocent of the charge. :smiling_imp: :wink:

While theres obviously some truth contained in the above, theres also the fact that in both of those societies ie Soviet Russia and Nazi Germany, normal, ordinary every day people who, had they been born in a different time and place, would most likely have lived uneventful lives, showed themselves to be capable of carrying out some of the most brutal, sadistic atrocities of the 20th century. Jordan Peterson concludes as a result that this demonstrates the capability of every one of us for great ‘evil’ given the right conditions and circumstances. We can argue the semantics but however we label their actions they were grotesquely anti-human. So maybe hes right.

If he is, then it follows that everyone of us is capable of committing rape, murder and the rest. That we choose not to is for many down to a moral code of sorts to which they tend to adhere (and to which our society aspires). However, for others, it is undoubtedly simply down to the fact that society censures such behaviour through incarceration and public humiliation etc. However, what happens when circumstances or environment (that you have alluded to above as influencing peoples actions) changes?

In light of this question ie the impact of circumstances and social environment on people’s behaviour, surely its about time that people had a serious conversation around the issue of alcohol/drugs and sex? It seems to me that this is the common thread across all these types of incidents ie so much alcohol or drugs has/have been consumed that people lose all inhibitions, act recklessly and later find it difficult to recall what actually happened ie they find themselves in a set of circumstances or an environment with which they have no familiarity and their behaviour is skewed as a result.

In this context, it also seems that telling young girls/women that they can act as they wish around drunken men is doing them a serious disservice and is actually placing some of them at risk. Indeed, its only in western countries that people would entertain such fantasy. Anywhere else in the world, it is accepted that there is a badness in many people (especially many men) that is multiplied through drink and drugs. And as a result women’s behaviour elsewhere tends to take account of this reality. However, anyone who would even suggest this is likely to get the George Hook treatment.

I wonder could this delusion be linked to the ever increasing culture of health and Safety regulation that seems to encroach on/regulate every aspect of life in most western societies? In the west it seems, people believe that they now have a ‘right’ to live in a utopian paradise where no danger ever attaches to any action they engage in. Furthermore, everything is assumed to have been regulated in health and Safety terms and if something does go wrong, then there is a further assumption that the State will intervene and ensure that compensation is awarded ie its always assumed that theres somebody coming to assist. Reality is that’s not the case.

Have to say, I’m kind of surprised at this…

thejournal.ie/hot-press-olaf … 5-Feb2018/
OLAF TYARANSEN, A writer with Hot Press magazine, has taken leave from the publication after denying allegations made against him this week. Tyaransen, who’s a contributing editor with the Dublin-based music and culture magazine, has also written film reviews for a number of publications and authored a poetry book. In a statement today, Hot Press said that “this morning was the first time that we became aware of the allegations that have been made against Olaf Tyaransen”.

irishtimes.com/opinion/cour … -1.3411544

Noeline Blackwell is chief executive of the Dublin Rape Crisis Centre

what is she actually suggesting here?

:confused:

She is suggesting that the conduct and character of a crime victim should not be challenged. Which is where we came in - George Hook sinned against feminism and permissive sexual mores by clumsily doing that on radio about a rape victim.

Hooke did that after it was established there was an actual crime.

John Cleese next?

Surprised there hasn’t been more coverage about this, as it seems everyone’s favorite manic depressive, suicide victim was a bit of a Harvey back in the day…and don’t ya just gotta love those '70s chicks?

theguardian.com/film/2018/m … pam-dawber

*Robin Williams’s Mork & Mindy co-star has said he repeatedly grabbed her breasts and bottom and exposed himself to her on the set, a new book reveals, but she excused it as part of Williams’s playful personality.

“I had the grossest things done to me by him,” said Pam Dawber, who played Mindy. “And I never took offence. I mean I was flashed, humped, bumped, grabbed. I think he probably did it to a lot of people … but it was so much fun.”

“If you put it on paper you would be appalled,” said Dawber, 66. “But somehow he had this guileless little thing that he would do – those sparkly eyes. He’d look at you, really playful, like a puppy, all of a sudden. And then he’d grab your tits and then run away. And somehow he could get away with it. It was the 70s, after all.”*

the bit where she says ‘but it was so much fun’

WUUUUT?!

Jackson and olding acquitted

cant say i am that surprised

The coverage of this case was appalling. The online comments on various forums was shameful.

How a woman could be expected to report an assault or rape based on the gutter standards of Irish commentary is beyond me. How a man can be expected to get a fair hearing when accused is also beyond me.

Twitter exploding to the hashtag ibelieveher

Entrenched positions on both sides with the majority living off end of day news reports having not sat through the entire trial.

You have to hope the jury got it right. I’m inclined to feel sorry for both sides.

a lot of people on Twitter don’t understand in which jurisdiction the trial took place

It’s certainly been an eye opener of the differences that exist particularly with respect to anonymity. Although Tom Humphreys was hardly the best kept secret.

I’m curious if the alleged victim will be named now and whether or not defamation cases will be pursued.

I read elsewhere that the accuser was named, not sure where though.

now deleted