Business Plan

I am soon to be out of a job and I want to write a business plan over the Christmas to see if I can get funding. I have several ideas but the one I’m going to go with is TV delivery over the internet with a twist. Both software and hardware so we can cut out the NTL’s and Sky’s. Real TV on demand, you decide what you watch this evening etc.
I know there are products out there that do this but they don’t have the twist.

Has anybody got a good business plan that I can read and plagerise. Also ALL advise is very welcome.

If there is a new innovation in this ‘twist’ then patent it straight away and pitch it to leading firms in the area. They have the resources to exploit the innovation. That is the most realistic approach to profit from it.

Writing a business plan is not like handing in an undergraduate essay.

Plagiarising a business plan is a waste of time that you should really be spending with your family.

Anyway, EI have a “template” which is ok: enterprise-ireland.com/start … ssplan.htm

I bought a copy of Stutley’s “The Definitive Business Plan” – I thought this was a very good guide and quite up-to-date.

amazon.co.uk/Definitive-Busi … 39&s=books

Not providing channels.
Provide software so show producers and film distributors can safely allow access to their shows over the internet and charge a fee.
Imagine a site where customers register and pick from vast lists of shows and movies. These movies are delivered for a displayed price. One price is the flat delivery of show/movie (content) the other price is less and allows advertisements. The advertisements are not random. You give a profile of yourself and the advertisements are very personalized you can also allow monitoring of your internet activities and the advertisements will be based on your browsing and buying. I.E. You book a holiday in Malaga. On your return you get an advertisement for potentially an apartment in the same resort The ad starts with a panoramic view of the resort and displays the new apartments etc. If you don’t want ads you pay a little extra for the content.

The show producers and movie distributors register with you and they allow people access to their content specifying their prices etc. Advertisers do the same.

The hardware sits on your tv and plus into your telephone socket.

Holy lord Cello, give me some credit. The plagurising thing was just for fun.

This is probably similar, I saw a programme the other day about a few people in the UK doing this - if I’m not mistaken the BBC fund it (much to their horror now) they must allow internet access to programmes after one hour of showing them - in doing this the PC viewer is not liable for the TV licence…

I must say RTE’s insistence on using RealPlayer bad-ware is a real turn-off.

Now imagine if RTE had a linux-compatible version of BBC’s i-player.

BB, I have two issues to raise:

1. I thought you could buy TV shows from iTunes
  2. What with all the DAG (doom and gloom) out there at the moment, who would give you money for an enterprise that requires consumers to purchase stuff they don’t need (assuming TV is more a luxury that a necessity)?

It’s coming. Currently at a very advanced stage of development.

don’t Magnet do it in Dublin, but with application via phone line it would far greater reach.
does it work like tivo?

Oh really? That’s great news.

Send us a url for a sneak peak?

Good point.
I have other ideas too. One is a bit of a recession buster but I won’t get funding for it. I want to go with the tech idea as it is more likely to get funding.

Well there isn’t much in the public domain to go on, but the RTE DG gave a presentation to Comreg a few months back… check out page 17 and 18 for some tentative screenshots…

comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/CP50a.pdf

something like this - veoh.com/videos/v204207kKgSdjEC

I wouldn’t agree that TV is a luxury - the opposite would be true. As people can no longer afford other forms of entertainment ie. restaurants, cinema etc. People will be looking to home entertainment more in the future imo…

The problem with the real, on-demand IPTV is rights agreements.

Broadcasters only buy the rights to a certain number of showings of a programme/series for certain territories (exclusive first run, two repeats as an example). You have three models of delivery at the moment - terrestrial, satellite and cable (the digital versions of these are DTT, DSat and DCable) - and anyone putting whole programmes or channels on the Internet legally is hamstrung by the rights agreements agreed for these distribution channels. Of course this is where the opportunity is, as these agreements were conceived in an era of physical products and geographical distribution markets, whereas you are talking about a digital product and a global distribution system.

Hulu in the States and the iPlayer in the UK try and get around the territories issue by doing GeoIP restrictions. The BBC have a window, after broadcast, of 37 days for downloaded programmes to be consumed on-demand (the DRM software deletes it from your PC after that) and they have a 7 day windows for “streaming”. After that the rights sit with BBC Worldwide (for any content the BBC produced) or reverts back to the original independent producer for online delivery.

On demand TV delivery over the Internet breaks all the market segmentation and broadcast agreements that have been developed around an analogue signal and a physical product.

Once the content goes digital then your content is either free (as in beer) and just another set of 1s and 0s zipping around the Internet or you look to try and put some kind of DRM on it to restrict it’s distribution (which fundamentally misses the whole point of the Internet!).

NTL and SKY already do exactly this - what you are paying for from these satellite and cable distributors is the dedicated hardware locked to the decryption software for their signal. For what they do, they are very successful - so I wouldn’t diss them too much. If you do have a new way of being able to distribute TV via IP then I would change your mindset about them if I were you - because they would snap your arm off if you could show them a way of doing encrypted video over the Net - as they know their business models are screwed (which is why SKY snapped up EasyNet in the UK a few years back).

The BBC, under Greg Dyke, went from being encrypted on satellite via SKY to in the clear by paying for the extra broadcast rights for the footprint of satellite distribution.
https://4m.se/assets/images/astra2dfootprint.gif
This was based on a satellite dish of 60cm on the Astra2D satellite - which gave their signal a spillover into Ireland, France and The Netherlands. This is also why RTE do their satellite distribution via SKY - the cards issues to Irish addresses unlock RTE but it remains locked for non-Irish addresses, a form of GeoIP. RTE couldn’t afford to pay the rights for the satellite footprint to go in the clear.

Developing a hardware and software solution will drive you into the arms of the legal eagles - which when your are dealing with incumbent market players who are looking to defend their broken business models is not where you want to be.

Currently, you have some guys who are trying to aggregate Internet content and be the gateway - likeTape It Off The Internet or Surf The Channel. Then you have the P2P merchants like UKNova or The Pirate Bay.

The way of the future is BBC Redux (I’m involved in a related commercial project * - so I would say that!). This is a BBC R&D project which shows how to deliver content via the Internet - it’s religious on the production, agnostic on the delivery.

What you really should look at is leveraging their inherent failing business models against them. A classic example of this is looking at the weakness in their current online offerings - the GeoIP restriction.

These guys show how - WorldVPN, VPNGates, Vip-VPN, UK iVPN

• Personally I’m involved in a commercial venture which shows content producers how they can commercialize and build relationships via the “free” Internet - leveraging the power this global distribution model gives them and how it disintermediates the traditional broadcasters.

I used to work for NDS. nds.com :smiley: (owned by Sky).

How are people going to pay for each program? Credit cards are prohibitive expensive for low value purchases under €5.

You have an account that can either be in credit to 20 (currencies). Or you can build up and pay when it reaches 20.

It seems to me that for an idea like this to get off the ground, the promoter/promoters have to have initial funds to get some reliable results/feedback before touting for external investment.

It’s too speculative to get any external funding as an idea in somebody’s head, at this stage.

A good business plan has to have credible market and competitor analysis and Warren Buffett always stresses the importance of a moat i.e a business that has the potential to grow to a certain level before competitors steal the idea and overwhelm the business.

I’ve had 12 years working directly online and before that I was an accountant. What I can tell you is that belief and enthuasism for your idea is very important but what is more crucial, is to listen to the sceptics.

What people will and will not pay for is a key issue. I recall an MD who had no problem paying expensive restaurant bills but the same guy made a song-and-dance about lower but more useful expenditures.

In looking for ideas, what is often missed are new angles for durable businesses e.g. the openings that were seen by O’Briens and Starbucks.