Buying a Property that has been unoccupied for some time..

…perhaps even for a year or more. Are there specific problems to watch out for?

It occurs to me that if the electricity and water are turned off (quite likely) then checking plumbing and electrics is impossible.

What else should you probably expect? The question is general but I suppose the type and era of house is relevant, would the concerns for a 70s built semi-d differ hugely to a mid terrace red brick?

If the electricity is disconnected for more than 6 months then IIRC ESB Networks will require a cert from a registered contractor. I think this costs about €200 + ESB reconnection fee.

Water should be simple to turn back on, if it is off. I would hang around until the tank in the attic is full to see if any nasty leaks occur.

Would pinsters go to the extent of fitting a water meter before signing contracts - if there is a leak on your side of the meter you have to fix it and this could mean digging up your driveway.

Check for dampness/mould from no radiators being on

Any burst pipes over winter

you may need to check the water tank for legionella if there is any remaining water in it

can’t imagine environmental health guys come cheap

As noted theres loads to look out for.

Blocked drains or gutters - a perennial favourite of mine as I got badly caught out once.

Drains that aren’t drains - just a hole in the ground with a bit of concrete holding a grid. Heard of this a couple of times.

You really need to get a snag list done by someone who knows what to look for - might be the best €200 you ever spent.

You would probably want a (pre-signing) chance to spend a bit of time in the house and let it have a good airing with all doors and windows open for at least two hours so that any mustiness is gone before you and your surveyor go (literally) sniffing around.
I imagine it is up to the seller to ensure all services are correctly reinstated and in good working order - demand this as a condition of sale and check that all is good when done but before final agreement.

+1
Especially if the house has been unoccupied (=> unmaintained) for a year or more.

Would that differ from a conventional survey?

The structural survey is required by the banks to try and ensure on their own behalf that the house is fit to have a mortgage created, i.e. it is insurable and could be resold if needed. Most surveyors don’t go far beyond this. IMHO.

A guy with experience of snag lists will be looking for much more.