Buying next door to rented property

Might have an opportunity to buy a house on the same street in which I’m currently renting in Shankill. The main turnoff for me is the fact the the house next door is a rental property and the current residents are a couple of young lads that do like to party. I’ve a toddler in the house and one on the way so I don’t want to be dealing with that kind of shíte in the wee small hours.

Nothing wrong with renters of course, I’m one myself, but it might be a source of stress and hassle in the years to come, never knowing who’s going to move in next. Young lads partying are one thing, but friends of mine have had serious trouble in the past when a few members of the travelling community rented the house next door to them. Serious anti-social behaviour going on.

I realise I could buy a house next door to owner-occupiers and have the same issues, but knowingly buying next door to renters seems like tempting fate. Would like to hear the pin’s thoughts on this. Would you buy next door to a rental property? Does it even matter?

Well, who can predict?

I grew up in a settled suburban area, and over the years several families moved out, either to trade up, to downsize because their kids had grown up and moved out, or for some other reason, e.g. job change. In any case, in a couple of cases the family moving out opted to retain the house and rent it out. Inevitably, this led to a certain amount of late night parties held by noisy students in what had been hitherto a quiet family oriented suburban housing estate.

My point is, one can’t really predict how this kind of thing is going to pan out - although one can generally form a view as to whether a particular area is likely to remain mainly family oriented or a young professional/student rentals type of area.

Another problem with living next to rentals is that the properties are not properly maintained in the main - both absentee landord and rootless renter having other priorities than spending time or money keeping up appearances and attending to basic repairs, even serious cross boundary issues such as blocked drains or leaking overflow pipes may be left unattended for weeks.
Add unruly tenants to the mix in few of these type of places in any road and the whole area is only going one way, and that’s down!
Drive or walk around any concentration of BTLs and Executor Lets such as Crumlin Hospital environs or Inchicore and play ‘spot the rental’ - easy to suss out the non-owner occupied.
Good physical and social attributes of whole neighbourhoods have been ruined with the rise of amatuer landlordism - we used to think the old residents associations were right cranks when they had their **‘Resist Letting’ **campaigns back in the 70s and 80s but looking back, a lot of their concerns were quite justified.

+1
My neighbour on one side is in her late 80s. She’s lived in that house for maybe 70 years - I think she was 15 when they moved in - but some day she’s going to move on and the place might be rented out, might be sold, might be knocked to build afresh.

I am an owner occupier and my house is a complete kip inside and out.

:laughing:
This thread though … wow. Just wow. If you don’t want to live next door to someone renting, I suggest you buy in a ghost estate. People being owner-occupiers is no guarantee against them being total w*ankers.

Indeed. One advantage of a rented place is that if a wanker lives there, he’ll probably be gone in a year.

Ok, so you can’t predict what may happen. but you can certainly take account of what you know now.

For me, i’d look to find a house with two settled neighbours on a settled enough street. That’s the only thing I can do at present. If shit happens after that then you deal with it then.

But again it depends on how much you want the particular house, the price and how often similar houses come up.

I can’t, I know that. But I’m interested if it has put others off a particular house they might have been interested in.

Moronic comment.

I realise this, and I made that particular comment in my OP. You must have missed that.

:open_mouth: :confused: :open_mouth: :angry: :open_mouth: :angry: :open_mouth: :blush: :confused: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: … ah I see XD no?

Why is this a moronic comment? If you want a guarantee that you don’t live next door to renters, the only way to do that is to buy somewhere where there are no neighbours.

If you realise this, why start the thread at all? If the lads renting next door are noisy, at least you would have some kind of recourse through their rental agency/landlord. If one of them actually owns the place, good luck with trying to get them to shut up.

We now live in a (very quiet) detached house after our nightmare of noisy next door neighbours. We had a baby and lived next door to 2-3 guys who had parties and DECKS with amplifiers. They played them at any time of night or day. I hated the weekends because I never knew what amount of noise they were going to make. If I could avoid it, and especially with small babies and kids, I wouldn’t move next door to young guys. (BTW, our next door neighbours were not renters, so you take a chance with every attached house. Unfortunately, it is the luck of the draw)

There’s a lot of irony in the OP; perhaps it’s just badly phrased. I’m renting and have the opportunity to buy on the same street but am hesitant to do so as I might end up living next to someone renting - exactly the same position the OP’s neighbours have at the moment. Perhaps it’s better to focus on the fact that you want to live next to some settled quiet people. I live in an apartment complex (former factory) and the most difficult neighbours I have are those with small kids - they scream/cry at the most inconvenient times. Plus whenever the parents manage to get rid of them for a few days they have huge parties which carry on late into the night.

The moral being that there are no perfect neighbours although a preponderence of one or the other can have an overarching influence.

Where’s the irony? I was careful to make the point that there’s nothing wrong with renters. But I’d have no control over the type of renter next door. And I’m well aware my current neighbours are in the same position - having young kids themselves, I know they were relieved to see another young family move in next door.

I want to live next door to people who have an interest in maintaining a cordial relationship with all of their neighbours, not just myself. Renters, especially young renters, are transient and many don’t care about pissing off their neighbours. I’ve had first-hand experience of this and it’s not pleasant.

OP, ignore Pollydolly and the likes’ stupid comments. I can totally appreciate where you are coming from. You just have to sus out whether or not this is a risk you are willing to take. This is a massive financial investment. Your gut needs to feel good about it. If it doesn’t, then walk away. Somewhere else that you are comfortable with will come along eventually and then you will be eternally glad you didn’t buy under circumstances you were uneasy with.

It is one thing moving to a house with decent neighbours and taking the risk that that can change. That’s a risk everyone has to take in a populated area. Moving to a place where you know for certain that there are problem neighbours is not advisable in the least. I’d be looking elsewhere if I was in your position.

I fail to see that there is anything stupid in my comments and the comments of “the likes” of me. It is perfectly valid to note that both renters and owners can be good or bad neighbours. Whether they are paying a mortgage every month or paying an agency/landlord is beside the point. I have had good and bad neighbours that are both.

It seems to me that the OP already knows that this bunch of lads are not people he wants to live next door to, which is fair enough if they are noisy, so I don’t see why he is even asking this question. If anything, if they are renting, there’s a better chance that they would be moving out within the next year, and that as a neighbour he would have some recourse with landlords and letting agencies if there is trouble/noise. No such protection if any of the noisemakers are owner occupiers. People under the age of 30 do own property, you know, and they don’t all sit at home quietly with their pipes and slippers. Stating the bleedin’ obvious, i.e. it’s a massive investment, your gut feeling etc etc etc - yes, yes, we all know this of course. I think that I, and those mysterious people that are “the likes” of me are actually getting to the nub of the question - which is do you want to live next to a bunch of noisy neighbours? The answer in most cases is “no”. Who the noisy neighbours pay their money to every month is not the the point.

I have already explained why I asked the question. I wanted some people’s opinions on whether they would buy a house next door to a rented house. Whether it was an issue for them too.

Your suggestion that I should go “live in a ghost estate” is facetious and unhelpful. You seemingly don’t want to understand the questions I asked, preferring instead to act the smart arse. You just assumed I was trying to portray all renters negatively. If you read my post properly you’d have seen that I’m perfectly aware that anti-social behaviour is caused by owner-occupiers as well as renters.

Renters do not have a proper stake in the communities they live in. The vast majority are decent people I’m sure, but there is little incentive for them to get on with their neighbours. They have not made a massive financial commitment to their home like the owner-occupier has. They know they can act the maggot if they want because they’ll probably be moving on within a year anyway. That is why I asked the question. Many posters on this thread seem to comprehend this and know exactly where I’m coming from.

pretty much what i was trying to say - known risk v unknown risk. In this case i’d definitely rather the unknown, as it has a lower probability.