Carrigglas Manor (Kearns & Bowen Construction)-any info?

Last I heard about this development was in Oct 2007 when the contractor began running into difficulties.
longfordleader.ie/news/Payme … 3255314.jp
I happened to be passing it tonight and tried to have a snoop around but it’s all closed off.

The houses are still listed on Daft with artists’ impressions and ridiculous pricetags around the half a million mark. The ad was last reviewed in Jan 2008.
daft.ie/searchnew_development.daft?id=5207

Does anyone know if Carrigglas is proceeding or have any info on the contractors?

For the uninitiated: There’s a thin line between ambition and foolishness and this development crossed it. 330-odd houses, a hotel and a golf course down some twisty back road in Longford. A good showpiece of the Section-23 fuelled madness in Ireland of the early noughties.

The website is here:
carrigglas.ie
Interestingly, Brian Cowen made the trip down for the launch. Wonder will he ever get his VAT and stamp duty.

I am also intrigued by the thought of 660 acres of land tied up in a half-finished construction site with a manor (presumably of some architectural significance) in the middle of it all. If the plan’s gone belly-up, I wonder what will happen to the site.

In today’s Irish Examiner, it had a report on Bowen’s accounts for 2007. They made a loss of 9.9 million euro. This was as a result of an 8 million writedown in a specific contract. No further details of the contract given.

Bowen hit by loss of €9.9m

I see Bowen have lost almost half their shareholders’ funds in the space of one year.

Fair play if they can turn that around.

Mind you, the directors who oversaw the lunacy above were awarded a whopping €4.17m - an increase of 27% year-on-year.
If those salaries can be commanded, the Bowen ship is in safe hands. Isn’t it?

thats up to March, they worked on Carrigglas until October before they pulled out

Isn’t Bowen one of the biggest construction firms in the country?

I doubt €9.9 million will dent their resources.

According to the Examiner report, their shareholders’ funds are now in the region of €11.8m.

Presumably the company is highly leveraged - the investors would have been gearing up for maximum profits. Or losses :smiley:

examiner.ie/story/business/ojqlaukfql/rss2/

My curiosity got the better of me - I went back and despite the place being boarded off from the public I managed to sneak in through an “unofficial” entrance…

The half-finished, deserted Carrigglas site is a strangely eerie place. A proper little ghost town.

No more than about seventy houses have been started. Someone must have shouted stop before major damage could be done.
Mind you, I only explored a small part of the site, so couldn’t say if any work has been done on the hotel or golf course.

About two dozen houses would be almost habitable. You could nearly convince yourself this was a normal estate, just another product of the Celtic Tiger building frenzy.
The unruly landscaped gardens, the lawns that are already becoming overgrown and weed-infested, and the strange sense of desertion are the only giveaways.

The remainder are at varying stages of completion - some roofed, some partially, some just timber frame. Once a hive of activity, the only sound today was plastic sheeting fluttering in the wind as these unwanted white elephants await the bulldozers’ arrival to seal their fate.

As I drove away from the place, pausing only to pull into a hedge to let another car go past, I pictured the chaos that would have ensued if the project had been a success and a thousand people lived down this back road. I wondered for a moment how any planning authority could approve a development in an area starved of even the most basic transport and other infrastructure. I pondered how Gormley could have the neck to impose carbon levies and tell us to use “public transport” alternatives when his predecessors signed off projects like this.

Gave me a lot of food for thought on just how possessed by greed Ireland has become over the last ten years - blinded by short-term gain at the detriment of everything else.
Dare I say it, but this pending recession will have some positives if we learn a few lessons along the way.

Thanks for that post.

Yes, as Michael O’Leary says: we need a “a good, deep and bloody recession”. It would be nice to skin a few gombeens along the way, but this is Ireland and it will never happen. The gombeens will remain on their coveted thrones of bureaucracy, productivity will be enforced on the workers via a miserable recession and Ireland will regain her place as an insignificant isle on the side of the Atlantic where honest men get shafted. We thanked God for tourism in the 80s, but 25 years later, we’ve destroyed our most unique and valuable asset on a concrete binge.

The storm on Monday , predicted by some MODELS as high as a Category 3 hurricane, may scatter some of them to the wind.

I would wander around again next week and see what survived.

Planning in Co. Longford should be held up in future as a case study in how not to do it!

A quick tour around the county reveals a hotch potch of planning. Places like Drumlish, Aughnacliff, Keenagh, Moydow, Ballinalee, Edgeworthstown, Ballymahon, places which should never have had the amount of development that has been allowed. A few miles out from Longford town on the Drumlish road there is even a cross roads with a housing estate! All will have empties for generations if they are not bulldozed.

This Section 23 housing blight is obscene!

Edgeworthstown, a village of 245 people has more housing available to purchase in it than Carrigaline, a town of 16,000 people :open_mouth:

And who’s going to pay for the bull-dozing? I guess we’ll have water charges and rates very, very soon. Even if we got the developers to pay for the bull-dozing (lol!), we’d still have to pay rates and water charges because the property win-fall that the councils have become accustomed to over recent years has come to a shuddering end.

2P - any chance you could take some photos even with a phone? This place sounds scary. Maybe the developer would be glad of a hurricane…
db.

Passed by again this afternoon, and had another look around, but I hadn’t counted on the security patrol - so I didn’t get to look at the really ramshackle ones.
Here’s a few phone snaps anyway (apologies for quality) - you get the general idea!

I also underestimated the number of units that had been started - there’s another load at the opposite end of the 660-acre estate - those are completely inaccessible.

Heading from Longford town towards Carrigglas. Note right turn on blind bend.

Continuing towards the estate, on a road truly fit for a thousand men and their SUV’s. Or at least An Bord Pleanala seem to think so.

The boarded-off entrance, complete with promotional sign.

Showhouses with gardens beginning to show signs of dereliction.

Another showhouse.

Awaiting the bulldozers.

Left behind in a hurry!

Entrance to the site, beyond the show properties.

The “sales” office.

That is spectacular - looks like a 21st century Famine Village. How did they get permission to put an entrance on a corner?

Nice work, thepartysover, it really gives an indication of the desolation. I hope no poor saps handed over deposits.

:blush:

cough cough

what do you think???

Not quite true, the following conditions applied in the permission

File Number: 04/638 in planning , click view conditions.

New hoarding erected along the N4 this evening, approaching Longford town from the Dublin direction.

Obviously some people have never heard the expression, “throwing good money after bad.”

Resuscitate truly is an appropriate expression.

archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/200 … y31108.asp