Circulating Heat from First Floor Stove

A house I’m interested in has the living rooms on the first floor and the bedrooms below on the ground floor. I’d like to have a wood-burning stove in the living room because I like the cheer of a fire and to minimise use of the existing oil-fired central heating.
However, because the stove would be upstairs and the first floor volume is smaller than that of the ground floor, I’m worried that I’d be opening windows to let heat out of the sweltering upstairs whilst having to run the OFCH to warm the bedrooms below.

Has anybody come across a simple system that would circulate excess heat from the upstairs to the downstairs? The house is in good condition so I wouldn’t want a solution that required huge alterations.

You’ll need a fan somewhere, probably some ductwork, too.

Basically, for what you propose, you’ll need to have the design very carefully considered. E.g. where best to take off some of the heat and push it downstairs, also sizing of stove, and since your stove would be upstairs, the stove flue and chimney would need to be more carefully thought about, since it would probably be shorter. And short chimneys are harder to make work (less stack effect) - sure, most flue problems that arise can be solved with a fan but they use quite a bit of electricity so is a last resort.

Even when getting heat from room to room on a single floor, you often get heat stuck in the space above the door. You used to see this space open in some houses for this reason. Can’t remember what it’s called (there is a name for this space).

Every house is different. You could install a duct with a fan and it might not work for one reason or another. Would suggest asking some type of professional engineer to investigate. I would be very wary of asking a tradesman or builder. Their intuition is often right but on problems like this, more often wrong…

My 2c

EDIT - Probably best to just hook in the heating system water pipes to your stove. Take a load off the oil-fired system.

You can not have an extractor fan in the same room as a stove, there is a carbon monoxide risk involved

That is true. There’s an initial problem. It could possibly be solved by having another fan of the same size introducing air at the same rate. (Or have a more powerful one on your flue). You would also need some fail-safe electronics to ensure the extractor fan was never on with the other one not working.

But it’s fairly clear that your best bet is to get a boiler stove and connect it to your heating system.

Thanks for your thoughts Roc and Lazydawg.

It would be wise from the CO problem to buy a stove that can accept an external air source to supply its O2. This has the advantage of reducing drafts, ingress of cold exterior air and reduced the CO risk.

Every house should have a CO detector installed.

I agree a back boiler is the best way for the stove to supply heat to the rest of your house via the existing radiator system. It requires no electricity (aside from the radiator pump) no fans or fancy electronics.

Have a look at this thread on Stoves: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=61403