Clonkeen Road

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker on here and thought I’d run this one past you to see what you thought:

While driving down Clonkeen Road the other day, I noticed quite a number of for sale signs and my subsequent search on Daft and MyHome found the following properties:

1. myhome.ie/residential/brochu … in/2900640
  2. myhome.ie/residential/brochu … in/2884752
  3. myhome.ie/residential/brochu … in/2934469
  4. myhome.ie/residential/brochu … in/2813801
  5. myhome.ie/residential/brochu … in/2978393
  6. myhome.ie/residential/brochu … in/2884748
  7. myhome.ie/residential/brochu … in/2919131
  8. myhome.ie/residential/brochu … in/2885640
  9. daft.ie/sales/42-clonkeen-ro … n/1000954/

They vary significantly in asking prices from 475k (no 9 above, no interior photos) to 675k (no 4 above, large detached) but the bulk of them are in and around the 575k mark. To me, these are grossly inflated asking prices, particularly when you consider the state of disrepair that most of them are in.

Take this one for example myhome.ie/residential/brochu … in/2934469
it’s asking 565k and is in absolute bits, albeit with a large back garden.

Who would buy these houses?? Surely they’re out of reach for FTBers. You’d need both a hefty deposit and another wad to make these places habitable. And I find it hard to believe there would be many trader-uppers interested in these either as serious cash reserves would be needed to do them up.

So, basically what I’m asking is, does anyone have any information on other houses that have sold recently in and around the Clonkeen Road area and what kind of condition were they in? I’ve had a look at the register and the prices vary quite a bit which unfortunately doesn’t tell me whole lot.

I’m thinking that most of these houses will need to knock at least 100k off them before prospective buyers would be interested. But maybe I’m completely delusional?? Any thoughts welcome :slight_smile:

Sellers tend to value their property based upon*** the asking price*** of what else is for sale in their area.
All you need is one over-priced house early on and everyone follows suit.

The property price register reveals a more sober outlook.

Interesting that there are 9 properties for sale and only 14 sales in the last 4 years.

They are not flying of the shelves

That makes sense alright.
Also the location adds value in their minds.

I get the feeling that the condition inside is barely factored when valuing this type of house, and vendors don’t consider the fact that any prospective buyer will need an extra 50/100/200k(?) to actually turn it into the family home that they want. Therefore losing most FTBers.
With a ~700k budget, you could probably find a much better buy that’s ready to live in.

I know, my thoughts exactly…

doing a search for ‘clonkeen road’ hides a few though. By searching for ‘clonkeen’ it shows a house that went for 680K on 09/14

propertypriceregister.ie/We … s=clonkeen

Pent-up supply. :angry:

no. 159 sold on 18th Sept 2013 for 480k and from the photo on myhome it doesn’t look too bad. The windows look double glazed anyway…
myhome.ie/priceregister/159- … lin-206558

Look closely at the photos, I reckon they all need rewiring and new heating even the more up todate looking house, you’d be better off picking the one with the best location in the biggest mess as you’ll end up doing the same renovation work anyway.

Absolutely. I’d say it’s colder inside those houses than out. The windows in a few of them look like they’re the originals.

I rented a room in Meadow Vale off Clonkeen Road in 1996 for a short period, the guy bought the house in 1994 or 1995 for £56k, there was a house for sale across the road for £99k

I pass up and down Clonkeen Road every day and it’s true that quite a few have gone on sale in recent years. There’s a few Sale Agreed at the moment. Looking at the furniture and decor of most of those listed above, I suspect many of the vendors may have downsized and relocated to a much smaller plot down the road (i.e. Deansgrange Cemetery).

They’re all mostly 1950s/early1960s houses - therefore in need of major refurb. The location is good - handy for almost everything you’d need: Post Office, Library, LIDL, Supervalue, Schools, Transport etc. I suspect the road itself has become more attractive since the arrival of the M50. (It used to be very busy with trucks heading from Dublin Port to the N11 but it became noticeably quieter almost overnight when the M50 was completed.) I’ve only ever been in one of them - on the left as you drive from Deansgrange and it had a massive back garden. Those on the right tend to be further back from the road with bigger front gardens but some seem to have decent space at the back too. They’ll all sell - eventually!

Further investigative research found a write up on no. 84 in the Sunday Business Post:

bit.ly/1xSZUMh
August 10, 2014
84 Clonkeen Road, Deansgrange, Blackrock, Dublin
**Price:**EUR 740,000
**Size:**151 square metres
**Features:**a six-bed family home with an attic conversion and a 150ft rear garden
**BER:**C2
**Agent:**Sherry FitzGerald

This six-bedroom semi-detached home is at the Deansgrange end of Clonkeen Road in south Dublin and comes to the market in turn-key condition and with off-street parking, a 150ft long garden and a converted attic.
An enclosed entrance porch leads to a hall with a guest WC and an understairs storage cupboard.
Two interconnecting reception rooms are located to the right.
The living room at the front has walnut floors and an open fire with a tiled inset, marble hearth and a mahogany mantelpiece, while the dining area has the same floors and timber-framed glass windows and doors leading to the rear garden.
The kitchen and breakfast or informal dining room are also at the rear. The same walnut floors feature here.
The kitchen has fitted timber units with black worktops, cream splashbacks and a range of integrated appliances. Timber-framed glass doors open from the dining area to the rear garden and there’s an adjacent utility room.
There is also a large storeroom at the front which was originally part of the garage and has double garage doors opening to the front drive. This space could be converted to provide an additional reception room, subject to planning permission.
Upstairs there are five good-sized bedrooms at first floor level. The master bedroom at the front has built-in wardrobes and an en suite bathroom.
Another double overlooks the front, while the remaining bedrooms overlook the rear of the property and are serviced by a modern, tiled shower room.
The generous attic room has Velux windows and an en suite shower room.
The house is located within a two-minute walk of Deansgrange and its choice of supermarkets, shops, cafés, eateries, the newly refurbished local library and is served by the 46a and 75 bus routes with easy access to the city centre and Dundrum Town Centre.
Cornelscourt shopping centre is a couple of minutes away and the villages of Foxrock, Blackrock, Monkstown and Stillorgan are all nearby. There is also a good selection of schools in the area.

Sold for 385K in 05/13 in an Allsops auction I think. Doesn’t seem to be listed on myhome at the moment.

I live in the general area and the amount of houses that have come up for sale locally over the last 12 months is amazing, this is after several years 2008-2012 when literally almost nothing came to market in this area. It seems like sellers in the area (and from the state of the houses many may be executor sales or sales of homes of elderly persons) were in a position to just hold off until the market “improved” from their perspective and it looks like several decided this year that the market has gone as far as it is going to go for a good while, hence several properties coming to market at once.

But this road would never typically have been a FTB hunting place anyway, even though there is a large mix of house types on the road, ranging from pretty ordinary 3 beds to some very large old houses. Houses in the general area, apart perhaps for Meadow Vale area, are typically out of range of FTBs.

And it seems that whenever a house in the area sells, within weeks of handover the builders move in and completely gut and revamp the house , probably spending well north of €100k in the typical recent makeover work I have seen locally so people buying seem to have relatively large budgets to play with, once again not typical of FTBs. So it does not really seem to matter to most buyers what the decorative condition of the house in, they are buying a solid shell which these house have and large gardens and are going to gut the place anyway. Underlying prices to buy the “shell” are due to location (quiet neighbourhood, walking distance to good local schools like Hollypark national schools, Kill NS or St Brigids in the other direction, Clonkeen College, Loreto Foxrock, good range of shops at Deansgrange, close enough to Cornelscourt, M50 feeders, 46A etc.). Although house prices on Clonkeen Road itself seem to be a bit lower that some of the other smaller roads nearby possibly due to traffic volume on the road itself.

But with all of these on the market at the same time it might be an opportunity to bargain down a price with a weak seller if interested? But as I said already this is not, and probably never was, a typical FTB hunting ground so don’t expect starter house prices even for houses in poor enough decorative order.

Couple of things. That house in not in absolute bits… its just in need of a thorough décor update and a few modern essentials. It probably needs:
Rewiring
Heating
New windows
Insulation
New kitchen
Flooring
Paint

It needs probably 40-50k spent on it, for the above items plus a lot of elbow grease to strip all the wallpaper and paint it.

Any house of this age will need similar unless its already been done, and if it has already been done, you can bet it will be priced in.

Its a big, old, solid house with a very large garden, a side garage, off street parking, in a pretty good area. 50k is less than 10% of the asking price, so decorative state is really not going to make a huge difference to the price either way. The vast majority of the asking price comprises the property type, the location, the garden, the potential.

I am not just pulling figures from thin air. Bought a house round the corner from here that had nothing significant done to it since it was built in the 60s. Did all of the above, slightly smaller than the house in question.

In total its cost us so far:
Plumbing (boiler was ok, new rads and pipes throughout): 5600
Complete rewire (free due to family electrician) estimate 8000-10000
Kitchen: 6000 including new flooring.
Bedroom: 560 for carpet.
Changing location of back door and new steps: 2000
New windows throughout and porch door: 4000
Insulation (Dry lining + attic): 3000

So maybe 29k if we had to pay for the re-wiring.

Its not finished, but we have all the big jobs done and now its all decor from here on in.

Our situation was that we are FTB’s with a combined income of about 100k at the time. We were gifted about 1/4 of the asking price by parents and mortgage for the rest.

My bad.
‘Clonkeen Road’ wasn’t good enough.

Thanks for the insight Karlos, it’s much appreciated. I’ll be keeping an eye on these anyway to see what happens :slight_smile:

:smiley:

Karlos did you use the one contractor for the work or separate contracor for each component (excluding the family electrician)?

Separate contractors, all cash in hand bar the windows. The difference in quotes we got showed that driving a bargain and getting multiple quotes is really worth doing when this kind of work is being done. There can be massive differences between different workmen, either in the price of in what they will and won’t do.

For instance - Dry lining. One quote was 3000, and they would not take anything off the walls, required us to remove skirting, coving, cupboards, sink, curtains, etc etc. The other quote was 2500 and they did all of the above themselves saving us a huge amount of time.

Windows, we got a quote for doubleglazed windows and it was about 4000, got a second quote elsewhere and got a-rated windows and a sliding door for the same price.

Many thanks for the helpful info.
Peak