Collective pay deal done, apparently

via RTE

Key quote:

Meanwhile, the economy is imploding and the bulk of Ireland’s policy-making resources are concerned with keeping civil servants happy.

Tea and biscuits all round.

Social partnership… the government letting the unions and IBEC agree what the government should pay its staff. :unamused:

The above is a graph of Irish M1 & M3 compiled from central bank data, as you can see this is where most of our pay rises were funded over the last few years by borrowing, notice the trend is going down and will likely continue that way for at least the short term.

So where is the money going to come from the pay the wage increases?

Woohooo we’re all rich!

What am I doing wasting my time here? Got to get over to Daft and pick up some houses before the shelves are cleared.

-Rd

I’ve always been annoyed by the reporting on these agreements, especially lines like “there would be a three-month pay pause for all private sector workers.”
No there won’t, there will be a pay pause for the 30% of workers in a union, as always these talks will have no effect on my wages other than to possibly result in tax increase to pay the public sector raises.

No wage/price spiral then with 3% wage agreement and inflation currently at 4.3%.

Well they changed the wording on RTE so it’s not all private sector workers anymore, they ruined my rant.

I’d like to see the increase expressed as a percentage of the average Polish wage. Might give us a benchmark of our competitiveness. :imp:

Yes.Ireland is different.Flotsam from the carnage is floating across the Atlantic.Meanwhile across the Irish Sea fiscal sewage is seeping out of Canary Wharf.The wild east is in drydock.Contagion abounds in the oxymoronic “financial community”.This agreement to my mind is nothing but a sea shanty as the Asgard 111 is sinking.We were dead before the ship even sank.A lot done.No more to do.“Oh the crack was 90 in the Isle of Man.”

It really annoys me when people say that their wages will go up to pay for public sector raise. Public Sector employees pay tax too you know. The only pay rises I get in the civil service are through the pay deals so any increase I get helps. This is because there is a 3 year pay pause for each of the top 2 pay scales in my grade. This means that in 6 years you only get 2 increments. Not much is it?

Let’s see if the unions buy into it. or if it’s a “Sold A Pup”

I doubt they say that their wages will go up to pay for public sector increases. Their taxes will however - direct and/or indirect.

As will the taxes of civil servents.

bet you wouldn’t move to the private sector though?

thought not :angry:

So what are you saying, that the taxes of civil servants pays for their own wage increases? Are you sure?

You make a decision when you accept a job based on a number of factors, it’s like any other decision.

And shane, that’s quite clearly not what he is saying but let’s be honest, civil servants are also part of the tax base.

At least your income is increasing. I’m now seeing many of my clients looking for fee reductions and why wouldn’t they. Net result is that Pill’s income is going down.

Don’t go there. Three Words “Defined Benefit Pension”`

Hang on a second. Correct me if I’ve got any of this wrong:

Regardless of pay freezes at the different grades and scales, you still move up through the various grades and scales. You’ll get a pay increase each time you move up? Yes? No?

So, how many pay increases are you personally likely to get in the next 6 years? Is it really two? Do the pay increases you get for being promoted not count as pay increases?

I don’t know. Some of us think in terms of our salary, pay rises are a bonus. We think in terms of how much we get paid, not how much our pay will increase.

I have no presumption of promotions or pay increases. If the company makes more money I make more money. If it makes less money I make less money.

I must admit I’m looking a little more closely at publicjobs.ie lately. I don’t want to stay in Ireland long term, but if I do I’m thinking I might get me one of those defined benefit pensions.

-Rd

With respect you dont know me so you cant say that. If I didnt like my job or conditions I would certainly leave. Up to 4 years ago I was working 2 jobs (Civil Service and a job in a shop 4 nights a week) to pay for rent etc as my civil service pay wasnt enough. It got toe the point where I did go to agencies and applied for jobs in the private sector. However after getting a promotion and being moved to a new area I happen to like my new job. I am lucky that I have moved out of Dublin and also I dont have kids and so have a reduced cost of living.

However there are people who struggle on civil service pay. Obviously not the high grades but there are thousands of Clerical Officers on low pay. There are plenty of COs who (like people in the private sector) work nights and weekends to supplement their income.

I take your point that if you dont like your job you leave but what if you cant afford to leave? What if you have childcare costs and mortgage costs to meet. Like in the private sector you dont have the luxury of moving jobs if you are financially unable to do this. The same goes in the civil service.

I just want to also say though that there is a hell of a lot of wastage in the top levels of the civil service and that certainly needs to be trimmed out but believe me at the CO, EO level there is a hell of a lot of hard working people who work long hours (and like the private sector do unpaid overtime), myself included. I have know people to be fired (anybody employed since 1995 pay full PRSI and can be fired) in departments I have worked in for the same reasons as in the private sector (excessive sick leave, bad attendance etc). Also pay increments and holiday entitlements are held if the employee is not preforming as per PMDS.