Comparison to UK city rentals

Have just been involved in the recruitment of a person from the UK. He’s moving over with his partner and they’re absolutely shock at the cost of renting here - he was warned. He is playing roughly 30% more for a pretty sub-standard one bed in D2 than he was paying in a larger UK city for a 2 bed. He’s taken a 6 month lease in the hopes that things improve. He showed me the advert for his two bed - it seems to be in a nice part of the city and you wouldn’t even find a decent one bed for that money here.
You can say comparisons are unfair and that Dublin had a big tourist market that drove prices up - the equivalent in the UK would be somewhere like Edinburgh which has a highly paid workforce in the financial services industry and a massive AirBnb and general tourist presence, as well as a couple of substantial Universities. Here is a 2 bed in a prime area of Edinburgh , with Sterling at a 10% premium this is a 2 bed for €1540 a month - it’s been on Rightmove for 4 months. There were plenty in this price range but I stayed in a hotel near here a couple of years ago so I know this is a very good area.

@beattie found this one discounted down to €1875 - https://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-rent/dublin-4/2-bedroom-apartment-available-immediately-dublin-4-dublin-2038231/ I don’t think there’s any comparison.

I think we have a long way to go on the rentals.

Good points - but you have to be careful, mental health careful, you should have had a warning in this thread or title, because when you go looking at larger and more functional markets outside of fantasy island, you need to be mentally prepared! :wink:

In my opinion a lot of Landlords think they should have a license to print money with no rules attached on an ever increasing asset.
As the TV adverts say
The value of your investment may go down .
Landlords do not seem to accept this fact
However In my opinion we are going to see a correction in rental rates no matter how many push against the tide

I also wonder does Edinburgh have the amount of stock that we have that will come to the market over the next 18 months or so. I was traveling through the North Docklands recently and it is quite jaw dropping what is coming down the tracks.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

its already happening.
To be fair the purchaser bought this pre covid and had no idea what was coming down the line.
In Covid terms I would have thought that Co-Living was a nightmare scenario

I was talking to someone in the English language School market and he reckons that the sector will never fully recover to where it was pre Covid. That in itself filled a lot of rooms in Dublin.

If what this councillor is saying comes to fruition it will truly set the cat amongst the pigeons. I think the owners of these places might end up actively approaching the government to take them off their hands (for a princely sum no doubt).

As I said will the Government want co-living in a covid world
The next pandemic with a different virus may be only around the corner.
We escaped SARS and MERS

Covid world or not co-living setups were always going to be the slums of the near future. You’re right about the SARS/MERS thing - this type of virus and the way it was spread (mass transit airlines) will continue until we change our lifestyles.