Coolattin, 292 Rathmines Road Lower (-55k, -6.5%)

Was 850k (Aug 2007)
irishpropertywatch.com/viewS … &Site=daft

Renovated since then?

Now 795k
daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=550551
2,549 Sq. Feet => €311/sq foot

Erm, wow. That is a pretty extraordinary house in many ways, although clearly there are a few serious issues. Looks like it is right in the middle of Rathmines Village, which is rather odd and one imagines far from ideal for a family. Also, the rather wonderful back garden appears hopelessly overlooked and I also think it’s east facing. And if I’m thinking of the right house, the front door is set back from the road behind shopfronts and is not terribly “trophy” aesthetically even if the house behind it is. All in all, a weird one.

On-street parking only would be a bit of a drag too.

311 a sq.ft. if the EA’s measurements are to be believed and I’ve done my sums right

A very nice house.

Very, very nice house. Just wouldn’t be mad about the shop in the front garden.

I’m sure the owner can hope that the recession closes it down :stuck_out_tongue:

Indeed. You wouldn’t guess from the photos on Daft that the house is right slap bang in the middle of Rathmines village, with the attendant shops, traffic, etc.

See map:
bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v … U0MTcwOTg=

For the same money, you could have
https://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/images/tile/2010/1007/1224280562017_4.jpg

I bet the owner is annoyed now he didn’t turn it into flats.

Now sale agreed.

Now back For Sale @ €795k

myhome.ie/residential/brochu … -6/2656019

A C1 BER rating suggests this was a thorough renovation.
I’d hazard a guess and say there wasn’t much change after €500k.

looking at it on google maps it appears to have a Paddy Power shop stuck on the front of it.
The extensive renovation they’ve clearly done to this place doesn’t stack up with “we out the back of the betting shop”
Strange decision to spend so much on this house turning it into a family home. I personally can’t see the appeal but we’ll wait and see what price it achieves…

No think it’s beside Carphone warehouse. I’m new to this forum. It’s great. So much information. That looks like a gorgeous house. Yes very interesting to see what it makes. I rather like the fact it appears so hidden. Had never noticed houses there and walk up and down this road every single day! Garden looks fab!

You need to go look at more gardens if this one rocks your world :stuck_out_tongue:

Welcome to the pin.

The reason it’s so difficult to sell (look at when this thread started) is that it is set up as a family home but it does not have essential things for a family home like parking to the front. Neither does it have rear access and it would be difficult to get a pram up those steps. What parent would want their kids living at such a busy road junction?

The bigest drawback is the kerb appeal. The front is hideous with the access squeezed between two shops on a very busy junction.

The interior is fantastic but who would want to receive guests through such a hideousness setting? May suit a blind person who likes to live near the shops and doesn’t mind traffic noise.

There are much better family homes with gardens and pretty frontage for the same money not far away.

This place would be more suitable as flats / bedsits or appartments. Family home it ain’t.

God people are very sarcy on this forum!Personally find the curved wall in the garden really something. I like it. Obviously the adv or disadvantage depending on the person is the front. I like the hidden aspect of it. I’d prefer the wow factor once guests arrive as opposed to pretty on the outside and hideous on the inside. Have looked at plenty in this area before we bought and none were as pretty as this.
Will keep an eye on this. Prams and buggies may be a drawback with steps but think kids grow up pretty fast these days! Plus don’t all period houses have steps! I’d say your safe as houses in that place considering I never noticed the property and the Garda station so close.

Again welcome to the pin, it’s nice to see new posters.

You are correct, steps and buggies don’t mix and kids do grow up fast but unless you are only planning one kid you could be using a buggy for the best part of 15 yrs. we have 3 and hope to ditch the buggy next year. That will make 9 yrs of buggies start to finish.

Families eat a lot more than a couple. Consider this; how stress full will it be to do the weekly shop?

You have one baby in the car seat two other kids hungry and fighting, you have more shopping bags than you can carry. How do you get them all safely into this house with out leaving them unattended and or doors open / unlocked in both the house and he car. Remember you are parking somewhere in a nearby side road so it’s going to take several trips!

It’s not a good family home. So won’t appeal to that segment of the market. It’s to big and grand to appeal to most couples. It’s all wrong

It will eventually sell I’ve no idea what it’s worth. I would buy it for €100k and rent it out. I wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole at the asking.

According to the register it went for €760k in 2011.

propertypriceregister.ie/we … enDocument

Very nice inside but would think they would have been better off spending their money renovating a house on a quieter road.

Lazy of me not to check the register.

I wonder what the back story is here. The renovation must have cost well in excess of €125k the break even point if you sell it at the asking.

Must be a failed investment or voluntary liquidation.