Coronavirus 2020

With apologies once again for my maths if incorrect - but it appears that about 0.04 per cent of the population here currently has Covid-19?

Long way to run on covid but clearly the lockdown measures have very little benefit. Simple social distancing measure clearly are a better option. Some things like large gathering and airports are best avoided. Regular testing should help identity outbreaks .

2 months into ‘lockdown’ of the people in this country, they finally get around to looking at international arrivals at the airport. Incompetent, even for this place.

Govt to sign-off on measures for international arrivals
The Government is expected to make it mandatory for all travellers arriving in Ireland to provide an address to gardaí and to self-isolate there for two weeks.

The Cabinet is expected to sign-off on the measures, which are part of efforts to continue to contain Covid-19, later this afternoon.

The restriction will apply to all those arriving into the country at ports and airports.

It will be an offence not to fill in a passenger location form.

Minister for Health Simon Harris told the Dáil yesterday that the measure would apply regardless of nationality and he said now was not the time for non-essential travel.

The UK is expected to announce quarantine rules later today.

As part of the measures international travellers could face spot checks and £1,000 fines if they fail to self-isolate for 14 days after arriving in the UK under measures to guard against a second wave of coronavirus.

Exemptions for road hauliers and medical officials will apply, while the common travel area with Ireland will be unaffected.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0522/1140009-travel-to-ireland/

Last time i checked norn iron is part of the UK. How is this dealt with?

Long way to run on covid but clearly the lockdown measures have very little benefit.

3,925 dead people would disagree…

Barely a hairs breath between ireland on a death per million basis. All the additional measures here in otherwords made no difference. Here at last 5 countries with greater than excess deaths. France had some crazy restrictions but it didn’t do them any good.

Eastern Europe has performed much better, possibly as a result of some cultural differences.

With an estimated 7% of the population catching covid, that a death rate of 0.5%. Flu levels. They have taken plenty of measures just more sensible ones.

It’s not over yet, it’s not flu and ye we’ve closed before the spike not when shit hit the fan already like some others… Although its not over yet, so next wave can be deadlier.

I guess this one is the significant factor in terms of low spread in Sweden…

I was just looking at the WHO COVID scare page and it appears that Iran is being hit by a second wave and India is about to explode!

Pressure building for the politicians to take back control…

It is understood that there was a “robust” discussion on the issue at Cabinet today.

Some ministers were advocating the adoption of World Health Organization guidance, which states that a one-metre distance is considered to be safe.

At Cabinet, it is understood that the so-called “civil libertarian” ministers called for a speedy relaxation of the rules along the lines of what the WHO are recommending.

Their calls came amid growing frustration at Ireland’s hardline restrictions, especially when authorities have said the Covid-19 has been suppressed.

Two-metre social distancing rule was ‘conjured out of nowhere’, professor claims

Advice to keep two metres apart while social distancing was ‘conjured up out of nowhere’, a government adviser has claimed.
Robert Dingwall, of the New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group (NERVTAG), says there has ‘never been a scientific basis for two metres’, naming it a ‘rule of thumb’.

NERVTAG is an expert committee of the Department of Health (DH) that feeds into the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE), which is advising the cabinet on the country’s coronavirus response.

Speaking to Radio 4 on Saturday, Mr Dingwall said: ‘We cannot sustain [social distancing measures] without causing serious damage to society, to the economy and to the physical and mental health of the population.

There is more

There is no law pertaining to this 2M social distancing conditioning meme that I can find in the legislation (please link if there is as I am open to correction), only specification of radius of allowed travel and requirement to have a reasonable excuse to leave your detention box, basically denial of freedom of movement stuff population wide and the reason is probably because anyone could then report an offender and sure, that would not even be workable and simple chaos, so it has to be slight of hand in it’s application, i.e. propaganda.

All Leo-in-name-but-not-in-nature, who will “try” to have a meeting with who, himself in the mirror? No the unelected and therefore tyrannical medical assembly ruling the 26 counties - the truth is, all he has to say is the word, and it is done but Harris has that power now.

What clowns we have, fighting over imagery rules while ignoring the constitutional crisis reduced to a “ding dong” and the decay of the economic vitality but most importantly the vitality of the people, becasue the law of unintended consequences, is a politicians natural blindspot excepting their own ass - no virus should suspend the Republic but sure, first sign of trouble and it’s handbags down.

As for this characterisation of the “civil libertarian” wing of TD’s at cabinet level, ffs, we’re only short of seeing them portrayed as “alt right”.

Its also galling as many of the cabinet are unelected and certainly not TDs. Civil libertarians? I assume this is a form of insult from the uncivil totalitarian lock em up crowd.

I don’t know about this - earlier on in this thread @jmc quoted a rake of peer reviewed articles that suggested that indoors or in relatively still air the influenza virus hung around for considerable period of time - this suggested to me that indoors the further away you were from anyone the better and the two metres looked a bit on the low side so I can agree on their being no scientific basis for 2 metres but there doesn’t seem to be a scientific basis for less than 2 metres so trying to use ‘science’ as a basis for less than one metre makes equally no sense. Now there is a scientific basis to suggest that coronavirus is not equivalent to influenza and therefore the rules can be different but in which direction without evidence. Personally I think a shorter distance outdoors make sense but then again how do you make the case.

A Bert II 'ism, that will come back to haunt us all?

“I am concerned that there is a growing belief that we can as a country borrow cheaply forever and that this is the solution to all our problems. This is the “free money” argument and it is coming from the right as well as the left. There is, however, no such thing as free money. Borrowed money, debt, has to be serviced, that is, the interest on it must be paid every year. This will be a new and recurring charge on our public finances and it will have to paid.”

Mr Varadkar said that he was not comfortable with the idea of refinancing to push the debt further down the road.

"Some will say this does not matter because it is a problem for someone else in ten, 20 or 30 years’ time. I do not agree with that attitude. That someone will be us or, if not us, our successors, children and grandchildren. "

Fianna Fáil leader Micheál Martin said that while the economic impact was “unprecedented” but said that there must be a public sector bailout.

"The overwhelming feedback we are getting from the small and medium enterprise, SME, sector is that there has been no response to the core crisis they are facing, and this is particularly true of the domestic non-exporting SME sector, along with the firms that are exporting.

"Our public sector must be treated fairly too. We cannot allow public companies and places like third level institutions and universities to be undermined by carrying massive new debt and being forced into major cutbacks. We must have a public sector bailout that is comprehensive and fair. "

Archived link: http://archive.is/eLVaM

I see that the WHO have enhanced their website https://covid19.who.int/
You can now select the types of graph to show additional information like “cases per million of population”

Ireland looks very bad on this chart. Could their methodology be wrong, as it appears only to have countries with small populations in this list.

Fascinating, if somewhat depressing, article on the complexities of Covid-19 from a medical standpoint. https://www.bbc.com/news/52760992

Ireland looks just the same as European countries of any scale (Andorra and Holy See excluded). On deaths per 1m population, Ireland is way better than the European countries shown. Why do you think it looks very bad?

yep, tell it to welfare caste :stuck_out_tongue: (corpo or social welfare…)