Further PPE intrigues.
…Australia’s Telegraph got the 15-page document detailing Beijing’s deliberate suppression of evidence, including: “disappearing” doctors and scientists who tried to sound the alarm; destroying proof at genomic-studies labs; and “bleaching of wildlife market stalls.” It also notes the regime’s “deadly denial of human-to-human transmission” when it knew the disease was spreading between people.
And China’s still stonewalling: It’s denying repeated international requests for a live virus sample from the first coronavirus cases. That would help researchers working on a vaccine — and maybe shed light on where and how the virus originated. Nor will it let in foreign experts to examine those origins.
Want more? An investigation by Canada’s Global News found that China secretly told embassies around the world to buy all personal protective equipment possible — in mid-January, when it knew the virus would likely go global.
The regime used diplomats, state-owned companies and Chinese émigrés to purchase N95 masks and other gear to ship “back batches of scarce supplies for the motherland.” About 100 tons shipped out of Canada alone — leaving that country with limited supplies when the pandemic hit.
Imagine of that €200 million, Ireland sent to China for PPE, turned out that some or all of that PPE was from stock secretly sourced from around the world, and even though that PPE stock when received was found to be in part useless, like happened to so many other countries, is now just the insult added to the real injury.
An interesting question - Was any PPE sent from Ireland either commercially or via iris governmental channels or both?
According to the irishpost.com:
20% of the kit was unusable, a further 15% had been classified as “acceptable if the preferred product is not available,” a.k.a, backup equipment.
Canada send almost out-of date stock to the Chinese
OTTAWA–Canada’s health minister gave the approval to donating personal protective equipment from the national emergency stockpile that was on the verge of expiry to China, a newly released email shows.
A Jan. 31 email written by Public Health Agency of Canada chief of staff Marnie Johnstone indicates Health Minister Patty Hajdu had offered “notional agreement” to donate supplies that were due to expire in February and March.
The Conservatives have lambasted the Liberal government for its donation, contending it left Canadian hospitals and health-care workers short of critical supplies.
The memo says officials were in a rush to nail down that decision so the supplies could be shipped via a flight chartered to repatriate Canadians stuck in Wuhan, the epicentre of the viral outbreak.
It also says the donation would not “compromise” Canadian supplies.
At the time, Canada had only four confirmed cases of COVID-19, while China had more than 14,000 cases and the virus had spread to 26 countries. The World Health Organization had declared a global public health emergency, but had not yet designated it as a pandemic.
In the memo, Johnstone wrote, “We have some stock in national emergency stockpile (incl stuff that is expiring in feb and March) that we are able to donate without compromising Cdn supply.
…It’s not clear from the documents whether the final donation of 16 tonnes of personal protective equipment did indeed contain items that were about to pass their best-before date.
But they were clearly in play, and time was of the essence.
According to the memo, PHAC president Tina Namiesniowski spoke to Hajdu earlier in the day on Jan. 31. The Canadian Red Cross, which was working with Ottawa to co-ordinate the shipment to China, wanted to pick up the supplies the next day, by noon at the latest.
Nine days later, the federal government announced that it shipped 16 tonnes of personal protective equipment to China between Feb. 4 and Feb. 9 — items “such as clothing, face shields, masks, goggles and gloves” — in collaboration with the Canadian Red Cross.
Full story here: