Counting square meters

I’m currently bidding on a house but have noticed a discrepancy between the advertised overall square meterage and the advertised sum of all the rooms. That latter figure doesn’t count the staircase, the small landing upstairs or the entry hall but even if I include those, it comes nowhere close to the advertised square meterage. So I’m wondering how exactly EAs measure square meterage and whether this one is doing it wrong or deliberately misleading. What’s the law regarding what is or can be included? (I did try googling but didn’t come up with much).

There are common errors and most purchasers seem a bit dozy when it comes to spotting them - even on fairly small, high price properties. A classic would be a rectangular area containing an L shaped sitting room and, in one corner, a kitchen. EA measures length and depth and multiplies to get area. He then measures length and depth of the kitchen, multiplies that out and adds it to the total.

Up to 10% can be added to “the square footage” in the marketing in this way.

I don’t think it’s usually deliberate.

I stick to the square footage on the BER.

But how do you now he did it correctly? From what I’m told most BERs are fairly basic jobs, done quickly and not entirely accurate

Can someone point me to a site that tells how houses should be measured? The figures I’m being given by the EA about this house seem to change every time I talk to him (and are different from the brochure). I suspect that one thing that is going on is that they are just adding up the outside dimensions of the ground floor and the outside dimensions of the first floor. But doing that counts the stairway twice. Is that legal? Where can I find the regulations (if there are any) about how house size is determined?

Also, is it conceivable that a house be wider on the first floor by some 30cm than it is on the ground floor when no such bulge or overhang is visible?

In a wider sense, so that you can accurately compare properties to each other? Given that many if not most measures seem to be off though, that’s probably a unachievable dream (unless we get regulation some day…).

That’s a good question. In one sense, it doesn’t. We’ve seen the house and we like it. But:

1. the variation could be as much as 8 square meters between what is advertised and what it actually is. That’s not inconsiderable and is false advertising. 8 square meters could be a room.

2. it could affect the resale value

3. we are in a bidding war with multiple parties. If we’re bidding against people who think the house is 8 square meters bigger than it is, there is a real possibility that the bids are that much higher than they otherwise would be. Indeed, that’s why estate agents and sellers might be tempted to inflate the square meterage.

To put it another way: 8 square meters in the case of this house may be an exaggeration of more than 10%. At the current prices, 10% of this house would be €30,000. Not a negligible sum.

Given that high ceilings command a premium, maybe property should be priced by volume.

Well if they accept your bid, just adjust down the amount by the percentage off the area is :angry: :angry: :angry:

Funny how the area estimations are always on the larger size, … never smaller :nin

Or I could tell them my bid might be €320K or, then again, it might be €310K or maybe even €287K. Who can really say? 8)

Exactly !, Maybe the amount that finally gets lodged in their account is LARGER, or maybe its smaller, whose to say :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

But whatever way it goes, the difference comes first from, or goes to, the EA’s commission :mrgreen: