Current Public Sentiment towards the Housing Market

Ah Ivor, Larry is just trying to get value for his percentage of Joe’s €400k P.A. 8DD

If the bedsits are such nice places to live then why don’t the landlords live in them.

oh lord gawd…joe duffy to the ears is what cod liver oil is to the tongue. :sick:

dont know bout you lot but i know i’ve saved a fortune by renting last 7 years. its at the point for me now that if i hear anyone spewing the ‘rent money is dead money’ line at me, then they’re automatically in the ‘I read the examiner/times, go to mass regularly, and find out which way most people seem to be voting and vote that way then myself’ brigade.
suffering fools gladly…no thanks.

At least cod liver oil has an end benefit, can’t say the same about Duffy.

They also both repeat. Badly.

:laughing: :laughing:

Listened to the podcast yesterday and I think that to be fair, there some valid points being made. In two cases ALL tenants had their own individual bathooms but due to the layout of the plumbing configuraton of the victorian houses in question, some of the bathrooms were not situated within the units. Several of the tenants were long standing and will be obliged to move out on Feb 1st once the new legislation comes into force. These - often older - tenants, unable to afford going rates for more modern (not necessarily quality) appartments will probably need to be housed within the council stock, possibly in areas where they will arguably have a lower quality of life.

Besides slum landlords are not confined to the bedsit brigade. What about landlords who rent out poor quality houses to 4 or 5 people in a house share where there is only ONE bathroom?

swoon You’re my hero. I wish everyone was as clever and individualistic as you.

https://assets.diylol.com/hfs/fcb/c85/aa7/resized/fry-can-t-tell-meme-generator-can-t-tell-if-serious-or-sarcastic-fd5e4c.jpg

I’ve been doing this for the last year since I arrived in NZ. Anyone I meet who starts raving on about property ladders instantly goes in the “dangerous nutter” bucket to be ignored and avoided.

It really is a brilliant proxy measure for all sorts of credulous/bead-rattling/cap-doffing/unthinking/herd creature types. The kind of people who are endless hassle cos they keep doing stupid sh1t and getting themselves into stupid trouble of one sort or another, then expecting their mates to drop everything and come bail their stupid asses out. Again. Or who just generally always want to make a big drama out of minor daily Stuff that the rest of us just get on with, without a whole song and dance routine. Just using the laddermaniac filter seems to remove 99% of these people from your life. Tis like magic.

I’ve no patience for putting up with idiots any more, spent 39 years having no choice but to tolerate family/childhood friend fools in Ireland, I’m not going to replicate the mistake here!

independent.ie/national-news … 50337.html

The people are waking up to that wishing away the debt and failing business is not going to work.

According to that poll, the current public sentiment towards the housing market is that 68% think now is a good time to buy. Face palm.

From the Sindo article:

Their standards have fallen so far that they’re now having trouble with the meaning of the word “but”.

So what I’m inferring from public sentiment is that it’s time to buy buy buy, one for you, one for each of the kids, one for the mother in law.

Fill your boots, you know it makes sense…:unamused:

It just shows you that for most capital appreciation came before yield.

I’m pretty sure you’d get broadly similar results to the same questions over the last 10/15 years.

It’s always a good time to buy. It’s never a good time to sell.

Maybe Donnie was right.

Well we don’t know we are at or past the bottom until it has long past. I am not saying Ireland has completely bottomed but it is time to open your minds to a bottom and figure out what that means to you.

It is easy to get stuck in a rut where you will refuse to believe the market is improving and you will wait far too long thus losing an advantages gained .

Of course nobody wants to strike too early but don’t get stubborn either.

My ‘bottom’ will be when a house I want to buy is valued at the equivalent of 14 years of rental income. If it doesn’t reach that, I won’t be buying. For me it’s no more complicated than that. I’ll happily rent til I die (the mrs might take a bit of persuading granted…)

What I would highlight is that the pin has a disproportionate number of SCD dwellers/sellers/seekers to the general population contributing to the site (far as I can tell).
Supply and demand in SCD alone implies bottom* has hit already, but for the ENTIRE rest of the country it has not IMO.

*could turn out to be a temporary/false bottom

But it’s not about property in isolation. Or even primarily. It’s about the wider economic outlook: national and personal debt levels, unemployment, the deficit, credit availability, falling incomes…none of those are to do with property per se.

Those are massive forces that seem far more powerful than any metric that applies specifically to property.

A lot of the houses in SCoD that did not sell prior to the MIR deadline seem to just be sitting on MyHome and Daft since the new year. Most are asking 550K+, and to me it seems there is a limited target audience in that price range. It could be that we are still early into the new selling season and that some of these will eventually be sold. However I cannot see the majority of them selling at the current asking prices.

Also, it seems to me that with the new insolvency bill there is going to be a tussle between the govt and the banks. The govt is going to look for some parking of the debt while the banks will want to sell off non-performing loans. If the banks have their way we could see more properties come to the market (not necessarily in SCoD though). However this could put downward pressure on asking prices in general.

So what is all this going to mean for those vendors:

1. Reduce asking price and secure a deal
  2. Remove the property off the market and wait
  3. Other options …

So what do you guys think? Is this just wishful thinking or are we going to see some movement in the near future.