D8 Thomas Street/Liberties Area - Thoughts on area?

Herberton apartments. More Fatima than Rialto and just past the back of Guinness from Hanbury lane. I work in Guinness (in fact I am posting from here now) and I avoid all the back streets south of James/Thomas St by night because it would just be asking for trouble.
Even in daylight, I’ve seen a guy get glassed outside the Hilltop pub.

Not trying to be totally negative about the place but you need to face the fact that you might come home to find scobes having a few cans (or maybe more) in your doorway as we have done in the past. Anybody who is not willing to contemplate that probably should think of somewhere else to live.

You already know about the good things in the area and they are great but as you admit, you don’t know the area and folk here are just trying to give you a heads up.

@gaius - Thanks, I appreciate the extra insight. Safety is clearly an issue around that area. Inner city Dublin!

Well hello there! I can do weekends and evenings, discretion expected and assured :astonished:

Having lived nearby and walked past there everyday I could not recommend this area. Too high a rate of crime and not safe. A shame but fact.

Hmmm … I would not bet the house, or buy the house (!) on hopes of any ‘influx’ - too many BTLers were
caught out with this tripe during the bubbly times - buying around Childrens Hospital but in the process destroying whatever community spirit was there and ending up with rather non-medical tenants! - think of those who were buying along the Metro North line expecting that particular ‘influx’!
Check out the staff carparking in James and the Coombe. Not many D8 residents there!

I must admit I do like the ecletic mix of the Liberties/Thomas Street area and at one stage I would have consider buying/living there. However having being to numerous gigs & comedy shows in Vicar Street over the years and seen what it is like I night time I would no longer consider it. And when I say that I am not a person who frightens easily but I have just witnessed too many incidents of gangs of young lads roaming loose, harassing people, starting fights, etc.

The other thing I would say about the area is that it reminds me of my own area Finglas in that yeah for sure the locals are “salt of the earth” types. And there is a sense of community. But when the sh1t hits the fan you get to find out with some of these people what ‘sense of community’ really means. It means not co-operating with the Gardai when there is a murder or other violent crime in the area. Some serious stuff has gone down in Finglas over the years and the locals always pull together to protect the criminal, even if they have killed someone. So nowadays when I hear the phrase “salt of the earth” associated with a working class community to me that means that there are lots of oul wans about who go to mass every day and yes, they are super friendly and have a great sense of wit. But if someone gets stabbed or worse by a local then the victim soon becomes a ‘blow-in’ and even though the whole ‘community’ knows well that it was young Darren in no.76 that did it none of them will tell the Gardai. That to me is the reality of these places- the working class people in these areas feel so marginalised by the State that they would prefer harbour a murderer (“one of our own”) than do the decent thing.

Anyway OP whether or not you choose to buy on Meath Street is up to you. But I looked at that house and couldnt believe such a renovation project is €160,000. Reason being is I looked at a renovation project on Military Road in Kilmainham (just behind the Royal Hospital). It was the same size as this, (77sqm) and at the time a small builder had an offer of €55k on it. EA told me it could be had for €60k. It was obviously a bit further from town than Meath St but not €100k’s worth. IMO you will get far better value for a renovation project in Old Kilmainham and you won’t have to deal with scummers, junkies, etc. You’ll also have the parklands of the Royal Hospital within a 3 minute walk as well as the safety of knowing Kilmainham Garda station is only up the road.

I lived in the liberties from 1995-2003. I didn’t choose the liberties, I moved there for love initially and when the romance died I inherited the property.

When I read this thread I was surprised to hear the negativity. On further consideration, I don’t disagree with any of the points. It is inner city life - it could use more greenery and less crime, it’s dark and dangerous and there are always people around, waiting for opportunity.
However, I did enjoy the following:

• proximity to town (commuting on a bicycle is a joy - BIG plus)
  • the pubs such as Tenters and the Lamplighter feel more real to me the Cafe en Seine and promote conversation in my view
  • Jack Roche’s veg shop, where you could pick up your groceries and join in the on-going political debate
  • I did enjoy the neighbours, yes they are ‘salt of the earth’

I still own a small cottage there (up to my eye-balls in neg equity, I’m afraid). It is easy to rent and never lies fallow between lets for more than a month which is required for maintenance. Similar properties are now selling for about 120,000 and rents are about 1,100 per month.

I lived in the liberties from 1995-2003. I didn’t choose the liberties, I moved there for love and when the romance died, I inherited the property.

When I read this thread I was surprised to hear the negativity. On further consideration, I don’t disagree with any of the points. It is inner city life - it could use more greenery and less crime, it’s dark and dangerous and there are always people around, waiting for opportunity.
However, I did enjoy the following:

• proximity to town (commuting on a bicycle is a joy - BIG plus)
  • the pubs such as Tenters and the Lamplighter feel more real to me the Cafe en Seine and promote conversation in my view
  • Jack Roche’s veg shop, where you could pick up your groceries and join in the on-going political debate
  • I did enjoy the neighbours, yes they are ‘salt of the earth’

I still own a small cottage there. It is easy to rent and never lies fallow between lets for more than a month which is required for maintenance. Similar properties are now selling for about 120,000 and rents are about 1,100 per month.

1. not everyone in finglas is like that its a big area.
  2. ive seen people phoning the guards when serious crime has happened. actual real life people that actually knew the person committing the crime who then got arrested. they did so anonymously looking out the window. and most of the others around did too. they didn’t jump around advertising it.
  3. that said there are areas where this type of thinking might be more prevalent and where guards aren’t that welcome.
  4. maybe they aren’t marginalised by the State, maybe they are afraid. maybe they are marginalised by organised crime.

Tenters has closed down in the last few years unfortunately