Derelict house on Shelbourne Road, Dublin 4

Anyone know anything about the story behind this place:

i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab276/heartland_2010/1fe2857f-e506-436b-ac19-99dc0f9173e3.jpg

Which one? The one in the middle hardly seems derelict?? What number are you looking at?

Are you blind? The house the telegraph pole is in front of.

I must be!! The one with the red car? The hedge looks freshly cut.

I’m on a phone so maybe it’s showing me a different view.

What number house is it?

Don’t know - can’t see the numbers.

Is that not Landsdowne Terrace? Would be curious meself…

I know that a lot of houses on his terrace were bought by the IRFU prior to then development of the Avia Stadium, I imagine to avert planning objections or deal with access ( one house on this terrace was demolished for this purpose). Perhaps this place in in this category?

Drove past this today. It looks severely overgrown now, much more so than in the picture. Hard to imagine anyone lives there. Houses on both sides seem lived-in so I can’t see why this particular one would have been purchased by the IRFU.

Is it worth checking the land registry?

Thomsons ? Electoral register ?

Appreciate Google-maps is a few years old - but looks pretty good on the relevant day the camera whizzed by …

You sure you’re looking at the right one? The one with the red car in the drive and very overgrown? Also, on a more general note, just because the hedge looks cut doesn’t really mean anything, because we can only tell it has been cut on the neighbour’s side, and their house isn’t derelict.

Haven’t the IRFU been buying the area up to eventually extend the stadium to full height?

The car in the drive has an 01 tax disc although that could have been there before the last occupants left. There is also a folder of papers attached to the front door. Eviction???

From Alfred Hitchcocks Rear Windown

The house next door to the derelict one was once occupied by James Joyce and has a plaque indicating likewise on it, not sure if that’s significant in any way.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelbourne_Road

Joyce lived all over Dublin in his childhood. His da was a bit of a deadbeat, would lease a place then do a runner on the rent when it fell due iirc.

The house a few doors up from this that’s under renovation had the bomb squad out to safely dispose of 1920s ordinance yesterday. Nosy pinsters and potential squatters beware!

I reckon someone nearly caught up with Joyce’s Da …

52 Shelbourne road sold for €970k on 23-12-14

Predicting the future now are we?