Developer Bailout Budget - Action Thread

Right, I’m going to keep this short and sweet.

I think it’s almost safe to say that 99% of Pinsters would be completely opposed to throwing money at FTB’s to bailout the developers. Action needs to be taken to oppose this NOW. We only have two days, time is off the essence!

I propose that we take the same approach that the Yanks did when Congress wanted to bailout the banks. We need to hammer our local representatives with proper correspondence. If you’re e-mailing them, you’re wasting your time. I doubt have the cretin’s in Dail Eireann can hardly switch on a computer, let alone read an e-mail. We need to either FAX, **PHONE **or WRITE to our elected representatives.

I suggest that everyone who is willing to take action add their name here and list which representatives they are contacting.

For my part, I shall be faxing, writing and phoning

Micheal Martin TD for Cork South Central
Michael McGrath TD for Cork South Central

Phoning and writing

Cllr. Seamus McGrath of Carrigaline Electoral Area
Cllr. Deirdre Forde of Carrigaline Electoral Area
Cllr. Mark O’ Keefe of Carrigaline Electoral Area

My girlfriend shall be writing and faxing

Eamon O’ Cuiv TD for Galway West
Frank Fahey TD for Galway West
Cllr. John Connolly of Galway City Council, West Ward

If anyone disagrees with the bailout and takes no action, you are a hypocrite and deserve being robbed.

People are naturally lazy.
I would suggest providing a template letter to write to TDs.

There is a flaw in the plan. Only new houses are covered. Second hand houses will continue to decrease in price, maybe even more so. Would you buy a 3 bed new semi for €300k via this new scheme, or a €200k second hand semi?
Something else I’m just thinking about, how do the banks tie into all of this? Surely they are not going to be happy with the government providing mortgages, especially the way they are at the moment? Where is the government going to get the money from?

Maybe we don’t need to do anything at all.

guys - genuinely not being smart here but there is already distinction between new and second hand prices because of stamp duty. however, in the same way as people point to the empties to argue for downturn, a politician could take the view that if one sector’s prices are stabilised then it will trickle (up/down?) to other properties as its a mindset rather than an absolute

government should not engage in sub-prime lending. keep message simple.

I’m in but i think the template letter would be a good idea, one that explain why the plan is bad for everyone and not just doom monger pinheads like us.

I would take a different approach or perhaps one in Tandem, aim a campaign aimed at FTB and get them to resist this foolish scam. Alert people to the fact politicians want tthem to get into more debt than they need to.

SAVE MONEY IGNORE THE GOV

No one is asking anyone to change the world here. There are probably at least a thousand people regularily reading this forum. If you can each do you bit, we can fight this.

We’ve being doing that for long enough now.

Someone on politics.ie described this as the “Government negative equity scheme” which I thought was great.

If you offer an incentive to push people to towns with lots of new houses like commuter towns and kill the market for used houses it will mean building more new school and underusing existing ones. more need less expense.

It will also skew the demographic profile of some towns, making some older on average and others younger on average.

It will drove the less well off to new settlements

Someone also called Gormley the Minister for Sub-prime Loans. That has a great ring to it as a slogan to beat the Greens with.

Think about this.

When someone is duped into buying one of these new houses for 300K. The day thay sign the paperwork and get the keys that house is no longer new. If that is the case and a second hand house in the same area is worth 50-100K less because of this crazy scheme then the new buyers are essentially in negative equity immediately.

Think about that.

**GUARANTEED NEGATIVE EQUITY**

Maybe we should begin to call this thing the Guaranteed Negative Equity Scheme

FM

Correction

GUARANTEED IMMEDIATE NEGATIVE EQUITY SCHEME

FM

I completely agree. Anyone who doesn’t let their local Zanu FF TD know how they feel before sundown on Monday deserves what they get. I’m contacting Aine Brady in Kildare North. For ease of reference, the full list of Soldiers of Destiny currently holding seats is at the link below. Just click on your constituency, and on the mugshot of your representative, and you get phone numbers and everything:

fiannafail.ie/tds.phpx

Its put up or shut up time.

Youre wasting your time with Aine Brady. She is probably one of the people behind this daft scheme to try to “kick start” the property business. She is an EA in Maynooth you know.

FM

Strictly speaking, its her hubby that’s the estate agent. The point is to make contact with a TD who will be voting on the Budget from the Government side.

Seriously, are we going to look for excuses for not doing this? I’m fecking boiling mad at the prospect of my tax money going to prop up house prices so that EAs and other vested interests get bailed out. By all means choose the representative you wish to contact. I’m just identifying where I’m raising it, as suggested by the OP.

Contacting these people is not a waste of time. This can never be a waste of time. I dont expect them to do anything but its the damn principle of it. I MUST act. WE must act.

Not to act is to give them justification for their actions.

Strictly speaking, its her hubby that’s the estate agent. The point is to make contact with a TD who will be voting on the Budget from the Government side.

Seriously, are we going to look for excuses for not doing this? I’m fecking boiling mad at the prospect of my tax money going to prop up house prices so that EAs and other vested interests get bailed out. By all means choose the representative you wish to contact. I’m just identifying where I’m raising it, as suggested by the OP.

good stuff channel your anger.
I sent emails to the greens and FF in my area and also to Lenihan and Cowan

Genius

I’m robbing than :smiley: :smiley:

Joe Higgins/Morgan Kelly/McWilliams/George lee are the only ones who will highlight this measure for what it is

Who did higgins lose his seat to?, i hope it was to some genius like Albert Einstein otherwise i am going to be very disappointed.

At the end of the day if FTBS are stupid enough to avail of this scheme let them off

Can some post a list of points we should make when contacting our representatives please.

I will be contacting John Cregan Limerick West.