Discount on asking prices - Limerick/Sligo/Letterkenny/etc.

Thinking about buying soon. Anyone got any ideas what the actual price would be as opposed to asking prices in houses within a five mile radius of bigger regional towns like limrick sligo letterkenny waterford etc,

Anyone got any experience of same.

Are these towns all really comparable?

Surely demand in Limerick is exponentially more concrete in demands terms, base of employment, etc.

MMM, Limk-Lass has a great view on Limerick Property. Ask them. :angry:

True buy a general idea of these areas. Is there a better demand in Limrick though?

I’m new to this, so forgive me if my next suggestion isn’t exactly revolutionary.
There appears to be more and more posters ‘coming out of the woodwork’ (like myself!). This growing army of various experiences should be able to help each other by sharing not only bids they’ve made but also amounts for accepted/sale agreed/sold prices. (Brendan aint the king around here! :slight_smile: )
If so, isn’t that the best way to find out real market values in various segments?

In the absence of a national ‘price database’, surely we can help each other out?

(maybe it is naive to think this way in the Ireland of nod/wink/try to h#mp the next man to keep my garden in order?)

You can’t substantiate anything that is posted in that regard so it’s an anecdotal non verifiable index.

If you’re happy with that, then sure…

Fair enough - anecdotal/no linky, no likey :slight_smile:
I guess this price database we all dream of is a long way off, and possibly not in the best interests of those best placed to compile it.

I admire your idealism my friend but any such index would be open to huge manipulation by prospective buyers/sellers/mischief makers.

It would be much the same as pub talk.

As of the 2006 census

Limerick urban area; 110,458
Waterford urban area; 94.961
Sligo town and environs; 19,402
Letterkenny town and environs; 17,586

Limerick and Waterford are reasonably comparable. Sligo and Letterkenny are very comparable. But to compare the former two to the latter two is beyond bizarre.

I admire your idealism my friend but any such index would be open to huge manipulation by prospective buyers/sellers/mischief makers.

It would be much the same as pub talk.

hmmm, after a right few years as an ex-pat…and a lot of pub talk, I know what ye mean.
There’s still a part of me that would do another man a favour hopin karma would kick in at another time.

Admit on the pin you made an offer or bought a house :open_mouth:
You might need hard skin!

Unemployment levels in Limerick,Waterford and Letterkenny surely put a massive dent in demand (not so sure about Sligo).
Not to bore anyone but guess what??
Prices have still,yes still not reached anything near affordability.
Banks are still,yes still not lending to levels attainable to afford asking prices.
These houses will not sell at current asking.
Not until the next bottom anyway. 8DD