Dunne ducks out of D4 and heads west

That’s just bad architecture and poor insulation.

I briefly rented a 400+sqm (4300sqft+) house recently and was surprised at how well balanced it was. There were five bedrooms over three floors, the top one was nicely converted attic for two kids/guest rooms and a bathroom.

There was enough space for a couple of rooms on the ground floor with different uses (dining room, TV/chill out) and a beautiful first floor living room. It was lovely to “retire upstairs” to this in the evening for a glass of wine and a book, scrabble etc (rock and roll!).

I could live without the dining room (would probably use it as an office/library instead) but the space and layout was perfect. I could find uses for several additional rooms - exercise room, workshop, storage/junk, pushing it up to 450 or 500sqm easily, and that’s before getting ostentatious with swimming pools in the basement.

This has totally ruined my perspective on what constitutes a nice size family home (mine is 120sqm).

I know the feeling, I used to think it was enough to have a hard-cheese room and a soft-cheese room in a home. Then I lived in a larger place and now can’t manage without a total of 24 cheese rooms as that’s the minimum that allows me to adequately separate the main varieties (and even with that I have to completely forgo the cheeses of eastern France).

OMG, I forgot about cheese. And wine. It’s probably not a good idea to keep cheese and wine in the same cellar.

As long as you keep the cheeses far away from the humidor…

Can we all agree that 10,000 sq/ft is at least 36 sq/ft too much ?

Personally I think that 2000 sq ft is about right and wouldn’t really want much more. Back in the day, I spent a fair bit of time with a family in one of the embassy roads in D4 and my experience is that even when you have 6000 sq ft you tend to use far less of it because your habits (reading, lots of tv, cooking etc) determine which rooms you use the most, not what any Architect decides or how the house ‘flows’.

This family had at least two large reception rooms that they never used simply because they liked to be together in the evenings. Most families I know in relatively normal sized houses don’t even use their full 1200 sq ft or whatever, simply because the kitchen is where the family congregate. Only when guests come around are some reception rooms used. You can see that in lots of houses where the kitchen (if it’s large enough) has acquired a tv and a sofa while the living room acquires cobwebs. I also think there is a law of the universe that says that your kids will lose interest in Pool the day you install a games room.

A cheese room would be marvellous though :smiley:

and there is me with my aspirational floor plan of a 60 sq. mt. two bed cottage which I can extend sideward, backward and upward if I discover after moving in that I need the extra space.

What about putting all the seating on the equivalent of a sushi conveyor belt to force you to flow through the house?

You’re on to something there. And the ghosts of various estates could leap out at you from behind doors as you progressed through the house before you go through a door marked ‘soft landing’ with a 50 ft drop on the other side of it

8)

Yeah, well in case you get the wrong idea, I was an interloper with an interest in a daughter of the house, not a part owner 8)

Surprise as Dunne tries to drop US bankruptcy bid

independent.ie/irish-news/ne … 27643.html

Also known as “Dunne discovers US courts harder to fool than Irish ones.”

Dunne discovers that being caught lying to a US court has consequences !

+1

He is a slimy one insnt he. I doubt the US courts will continue if he wants to drop it, unless someone in the justice dept is really pissed off at him for his “forgetfulness”.

Hmmm … what’s the latest on David Drumm ?

Desperate for his dealings with Gail to remain secret.
It’s intriguing.

Indeed. One can only presume there’s something in there he doesn’t want Chris Lehane to hear about.

It appears Drumm is influencing others…

independent.ie/irish-news/ne … 31687.html

Drumm’s $1.5m bill spurred Dunne’s bankruptcy u-turn -

God Bless him.
In his time of need, it is the Irish taxpayer he puts ahead of himself.