Eastern European children disappearing from school.

My boy pointed out that three of his friends have left school. At first I said “Oh is that so, very good”. But I then asked him the name of the kids and they were foreign names. I inquired a little more and found out two were Polish and one was Russian. Seemingly they have all gone home. Unfortunately I don’t know what all their parents do for a living, however, I do know that one of them was a taxi driver.

The Sunday Times has an article about returning immigrants saying that countries like Norway are advertising to try lure away our immigrants. The adverts point out that they will take care of accommodation for them since this is likely to be a big pull factor considering the high cost (not for long) and poor quality of ours. It also reveals that the Eastern European economies are doing very well and many immigrants are retuning home to take up job offers.
Of course we knew that was going to happen 12 months ago.

I wouldn’t surprised if Bertie decides to relax the restrictions for Romanians and Bulgarians as their economies are quite a number of years behind the other accession countries. I am sure a few of the builders will be promoting this to make sure the arse doesn’t fall out of the rental market

I would, the UK decided our last immigration policy and they have no intention of relaxing their current regime.

Its out of Berties hands as long as we have a common travel area with the UK .

Does not make a blind bit of difference what Bertie does, if there is no profit from labour , then nobody will come. Besides most EE economies are doing well at the moment, most of the people ‘surplus to requirements’ left years ago and in the case of Romania prefer to work in Spain or Italy mainly due to language similarities. The economics is simple, if there is no work in Ireland or Britain, they will not come.

Don’t forget that there are 400,000 Romanians in Spain and that their building boom has ground to a halt like ours.

It is estimated that half the new jobs created in all of Western Europe since accession in 2004 ( followed by Romania and Bulgaria later) were created in Spain alone if you recall This Excellent Bloomberg Article a year back.

A significant portion of the other new jobs were created here and in the UK. Most of these jobs were on the back of construction bubbles as local unskilled labour went building for better money in Spain and Ireland …leaving factories and food production and processing to immigrants …hence Brazilians in Gort for example.

It would not be unwise to say that a slump in Spain and Portugal in 2008 could possibly result in as many as 1m EU migrants on the move again this year alone …some back to their own countries…some here ???

News from the UK

Polish plumbers pack their bags as pickings get richer back east

timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article3378851.ece

During the 1992 slump in the US and UK, a lot of Irish people I knew decided it would be better return home here and claim the dole, rather than hang around Boston, New York or London. The other option at the time was head to Germany, during the reconstruction boom. Is Germany/France an option this time?

Not really. The so-called “common travel area” is a myth. In fairness to the UK, they make a reasonable attempt to allow passport-free travel from the Republic. But we don’t pay any more than lip service to it. Is there a seperate queue in Dublin airport for people arriving from the UK? No, we all have to go through the same immigration.

What’s more, the CTA actually only applies to Irish and UK citizens (unlike the Schengen area where the same rules apply to everyone in the area). If you’re a non EU citizen and have a work visa for the UK, then you still need to get a visa to enter Ireland (obviously doesn’t apply to Americans, but I’m thinking of Indians and the like).

Bertie just used the CTA as a convenient excuse not to let the Romanians and Bulgarians work here. The real reason was unrest in the Unions and the risks to social partnership. If he decided now that it was in “the national interest” to let them work here, he could do so easily.

Green Bear, as to your question re France and Germany. They’ve both got pretty high unemployment still. Can’t see them attracting too many western european immigrants. And the eastern europeans are still barred from taking up employment there (though they can work as self-employed)

it’s actually not. lookup the Dublin Convention which was signed to compliment the Immigration Act 1999 and specifically deals with common travel areas such as France, UK and Ireland amongst others

There was an agreement between Ireland and the UK at some stage after 1920 which stated that citizens of either country could travel freely to the other (and also Isle of Man, channel islands etc) without the need for a passport. However it was never enacted into Irish legislation. As a result, the Irish government, despite all lip service to the contrary, disregards it in its border/immigration policy

E.g. when you fly to the UK, you are brought through a separate channel to baggage reclaim where there is no requirement to show any id. True, there are occasional security checks, but you’re still segregated from passangers arriving from outside the CTA.

Now when you fly from the UK to Ireland, you could arrive in any of Piers A, B or C. You follow the same procession of people to the passport checks as people who are disembarking from flights from Continental Europe. If you don’t have a passport, you can show a driving licence and claim that you’re after arriving from the UK. But if the immigration official doesn’t like this, he can haul you in for questioning, as you are in the same queue as people from outside the CTA. This actually happened to the Asian actor who plays that shopkeeper on Coronation St. He showed his UK driving licence and got alot of questioning from immigration as to why he didn’t have a passport. And I’m sure he’s not the only one.

Furthermore there is no legislation or even clear guidelines on what constitutes adequate identification in the absence of a passport. I once showed my driving licence (it’s not from Ireland or the UK) and got grief from the immigration official who stated that the CTA is only for Irish and UK citizens. I told him I was an Irish citizen. But the point is that in the absence of a passport, there’s no way to prove citizenship. Your driving licence only says place of birth, which is no proof of citizenship.

Ok, so maybe it’s not a myth. But it is a sham…

In Stansted anyone coming off an Irish flight just has to show their ticket stub and they are ushered past immigration. And in Heathrow flights from Ireland come in and leave through the domestic flights area. I have never once been asked to show my passport arriving off an Irish flight into the UK. It’s different in Ireland because the airports just aren’t big enough for separate areas.

They ask for ID the odd time but its nothing major , most of the time you are wafted in.

Seemingly … :wink:
My bets on McDowell eating them :stuck_out_tongue: