Education as a sign that things are getting better

Somethings seem to be getting better…

and before someone asks about a link - dont have one, came via bberg newswire…

There are now eight Irish colleges in the Times Higher Education/QS World University Rankings out of a worldwide survey of 2,000 colleges.
Trinity College Dublin: 43
University College Dublin: 89
University College Cork: 207
NUI Galway: 243
Dublin City University: 279
Dublin Institute of Technology: 326
NUI Maynooth and UL: 400-500
NUI Galway moved up 125 places from 368 to 243; DCU moved up 23 places from 302 to 279; Dublin Institute of Technology is up to 326.

There are now eight Irish colleges in the Times Higher Education/QS World University Rankings out of a worldwide survey of 2,000 colleges.
Trinity College Dublin: 43
University College Dublin: 89
University College Cork: 207
NUI Galway: 243
Dublin City University: 279
Dublin Institute of Technology: 326
NUI Maynooth and UL: 400-500
NUI Galway moved up 125 places from 368 to 243; DCU moved up 23 places from 302 to 279; Dublin Institute of Technology is up to 326.
The World University Rankings are based on a number of parameters including peer review by international academics, survey of international employers, the international nature of the teaching faculty and student body and metrics of achievement in research and scholarship.
Dr Brady said the ranking puts UCD in the top 5 per cent of universities worldwide.
"It is gratifying to be recognized for excellence by both international academic peers and employers alike. While one could find fault with any university ranking system, the reality is that rankings matter: they matter when top quality international students and staff are choosing a university, they matter increasingly to Irish students when deciding whether to study in Ireland or abroad, and they are cited as one of the top 10 reasons why multinational companies choose a particular region in which to invest.
"While no ranking system could possibly gauge the full impact of UCD on the making of modern Ireland, this international recognition is an affirmation of the excellence, hard work and dedication of staff, students and alumni of the university.
"We Irish have sometimes been too slow to acknowledge the quality and productivity of our universities, and too often it seems to take experts from afar to remind us of our true achievement and potential.”
The U.S. and Britain dominate the Top 10 with Harvard at Number 1. However, Cambridge in Britain has pulled ahead of Yale for the Number 2 spot.
World rankings
1: Harvard, US
2: University of Cambridge, UK
3: Yale University, US
4: UCL (University College London) UK
5: Oxford, UK
5: Imperial College London, UK
7: University of Chicago, US
8: Princeton University (US)
9: Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), US
10: California Institute of Technology (US)

In what way is that a sign of economic recovery?

I
It is for the lecturers.

I`m sure thats what he meant.

Jezz Django, isnt it clear.
:unamused:

you wont get a recovery without a decent education system…and living in the US and being exposed to their HR and general management principles or lines of thought, they are obsessed with stuff like that.

So, basically its good that we are raising in the rankings as it helps our future economy…

That shows how fucked we really are…

Have we offically entered desperation yet??

nope, I reckon nama is keeping people either in denial or away from capitulation

Those rankings are completely meaningless.

You’d really need to figure out how many colleges in the top 2,000 we have per head of population/GDP/whatever compared to different countries to see if it’s “good news” or not. That assumes the ranking is itself in any way useful.

Already done by “John” on irisheconomy:
irisheconomy.ie/index.php/20 … ment-19398

We come out rather well on this measure.

UL Grad? :wink:

It doesn’t actually matter that they are completely meaningless in terms of the standard of education received. They aren’t completely meaningless in terms of the “name” factor, and that is huge when it comes to applying for jobs and actually getting interviews. Universities are essentially brand names.

Companies want to be associated with the best brand names in education, be that through the people they hire or the research groups they support.

Or perhaps he noticed that there isn’t one single University from the non-English speaking world in the top ten.

Cultural bias anyone ? :angry:

While it is nice to see Irish universities in the top 100 by whatever criteria, the real measure of how good a university should be measured by the quality of its research output. Rather than patting ourselves on the back, we should be asking ourselves:-

How many science/ mathematics Nobel prize winners have we?

How many fundamental research ideas have come out of Irish universities?

How many patents resulting in new world altering technology have come out of Irish universities?

How many university spin off companies resulting from post grads work are there?

These are the things that constitute a knowledge economy and these are the things that are going to make Ireland wealthy in the 21st century.

You forgot some of the most important:

What kind of citizens have we produced? Are they the kinds of people who think money is the measure of all things (as you seem to) or are they people who are sufficiently educated to recognise that view for the ideology it is?

The idea that Nobel Prize winners are created by educational systems is laughable on its face, by the way.

Well then you could ask “What’s so crap about our education system that they hold back our potential Nobel Prize winners”.

They’re out there somewhere in our population. Just like the honest competent people who should be running the country they’re doing something else.

And you think that the sample size for Nobel Prize winners is large enough to be significant, so much so that it would somehow make sense to gear the entire educational system to producing them?

I don’t.

Link to the top 200 here:

timeshighereducation.co.uk/R … op200.html

There are 29 UK universities in the top 200. Um, slightly biased perhaps!!!

Humanities lecturer? :wink:

wouldn’t read anything into either…

so Trinity is better than any university in Netherlands, Germany, Sweden, Denmark… ah I would think not

If your criteria for an educational system is the kind of people who are sufficiently educated to recognise any ideology and think for themselves, then the Irish educational system is an abject failure as the vast majority of people had bought into the celtic tiger rubbish and have repeadedly voted for politicians who supported it.

The point about Nobel Prize winners being created by educational systems is rather disingenuous and suggests to me that you don’t believe universities should facilitate original thought. I believe great universities allow people to go off on intellectual tangents, to allow ‘black swans’ to thrive, not be places to produce clones of the educational elite.

As to me being a person who thinks that money is the measure of all things, you couldn’t be further from the truth. However, I do recognise that money is necessary for all things in the modern world including funding universities. It is also necessary to keep food on the table and a roof over peoples heads. For the people of Ireland to succeed and thrive, there needs to be a recognition that our main natural resource is our intellect and that we need to be able to convert intellectual property into jobs to keep people employed.

We have tried agriculture, we have tried to build our way to a prosperous future, the only way forward is to think our way forward and in my opinion, that does not mean rote learning of existing knowledge.