Eur Wedge On De Edge

:confused:
Why do you guys just keep making stuff up? You can’t all be this thick.
If a family office has to fund at 3% … then they’re not much of a family office!

Borrow short term at 0%, lend long term at 4%. Absolute genius!

By that logic, we should have all piled into property in 2008.

Oh yeah. There was a report of ungentlemanly behaviour in the thread. At Christmas too. I was going to post a link to Captain Sensible’s Happy Talk but had forgotten how appalling it is.

Euro zone debt down for first time in 6 years

rte.ie/news/business/2014/01 … zone-debt/

Hope no one is using debit/credit cards for hot money
businesspost.ie/#!story/Mark … 0139888e13

Well played Turbo. Well played. :laughing:
You have any idea how much this trade is up?
No didn’t think so. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
At least gold is. . . . . . . . . awwwwwwwww :sick:

Well done!

So you came back to gloat? True to form…

I hope you or your clients didn’t get a margin call after that poor start.

Stay classy!

Daniel,

What is your entry point and have you placed a stop loss? I would have thought, if you are buying this on margin you are betting on the price of this or are you buying the product itself?
Are you betting on this to make money or are you betting on this as a hedge? (the reason I ask, your attitude towards it is very different from when its winning to when its loosing).

I presume this is the product in question
au.finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s= … X;range=1m

Eg-as the yield increases, you are making money and vice versa?

Can I ask your reasoning for this bet or is it just a reliable hedge? If there was a stock market crash and people flocked to bonds, wouldn’t this drive the price down? Would you be tapped out?

Apologies for the “retarded” questions, but I want to get an understanding as to what you’ve bet on, and if it makes sense to me, I just might join you on the bandwagon.

Conor

As the yield decreases, the price of the asset goes up. So, if long 30yr futures and yield goes down, makes money. Stock market crash would theoretically lead to price of bonds going up & yield down.

At the moment, we’re currently seeing stock indices and bond prices going in the same direction. It’s the big topic in the market at the moment (after ECB).

My view is that it’s a chase for yield. Better to hold European bonds than put on deposit. Better to hold US than European over the last few weeks if you were expecting major euro depreciation.

DP was suggesting purchasing the 30 year Zero Coupon Cash bond not future; the strategy suggested is highly dependent on the interest rate you’d pay on the margin (leverage)

Zero Coupons are more sensitive to interest rates because the “pay out” is so far into the future

irishtimes.com/business/sect … -1.1863098

Sad when a little bit of shopping around will get you 2% for instant access, 2.25% for a term deposit and 4% for regular savings.

where’s the 4% fungus?

Nationwide UK Ireland.

Cheers.

But regular saver usually means your balance starts at 0 and can only increase by max a grand a month.

By the time you’ve a lump they change the terms or have a cap.

Better than nothing but a bit of a gimmick

The only lump sum term deposit I see that is above 2% is PTSB – a complete basket case bank – or KBC. Even those are barely above 1% net of DIRT. The rest are under 1% net, which is your return for investing long term with our other dodgy institutions. Keeping money in an Irish bank for a few hundred quid return on a hundred grand is not even close to adequate recompense for the risk involved. I have money on deposit at 4%, from back when rates were good, the EU and Irish governments seemed adamant that no bank would be allowed to fail, and before DIRT rates were doubled. I can tell you for free I’ll be getting it the hell out of there when it matures.

But where to?

where do you propose to go with your lump sum then?
DIRT isn’t such an issue for me as a non-resident.