Eur Wedge On De Edge

Is deposit income not taxable in Germany :laughing:

Yes, but considerably less than in Ireland.

What is wrong with you? You automatically think the worst of everyone posting here.

Rabo, 1% gross.

I have some savings in Rabo in Belgium but they have just realised that I don’t live there any more. They say they cannot pay interest to a non-resident because they can’t meet their obligations to ensure I pay the equivalent of Belgian DIRT.

What to do now? I had left it there because we were more confident in Rabo Belgium than BoI (where we do the rest of our banking). Should we leave it there another while (earning now interest) until the stress tests have given BoI the ‘all clear’ or is it safe enough to shift it back to Ireland now?

As others have said, interest rates are so low it hardly matters much - and we’re not talking about millions here - but if the risk of having money in Irish banks is now quite low then maybe there’s no point leaving it in Belgian cyberspace.

If it is under 100,000, then yes I would move it back. Nationwide UK Ireland have a 12 month savings account for lump sum deposits of 2%, which is about the best you will get unless you are willing to risk PSTB (2.25% for a 18 month savings account). Have a look at AAM Best Buys for savings accounts and lump sum deposits, which is regularly updated when new products come onto the market

UK account holders flock to Swedish bank’s ‘church spire’ - FT.com on.ft.com/1qhJKIw via @FT

Dont forget about Prize bonds, still a dog returns-wise for most especially for small holders but at least its a bit of excitement.

Bets against the euro are reaching extreme levels: - > twitter.com/ReutersJamie/status … 5909154816

Surprised at that … if the Greeks somehow stay in that shows the risk of a massive short squeeze.

And if they don’t ?

I’d expect a pretty harsh drop - then bouts of extreme volatility as people try to figure out whether it’s good or bad!

With the Euro you always have this paradox that, because of its singular (and mistaken) focus on exports as the only source of growth, a weaker currency starts to strengthen the economy, increases the trade surplus further which naturally pressures the currency higher. Say the Euro hit parity with the USD and the Eurozone completely shored up the remaining Euro member, the economy would take off as exports boomed. I’m starting to think that the right trade in that exact scenario would be to short German 10yr Bunds because in the initial panic they will likely drop to a significant negative yield (they’re only 35bps positive at the moment) but as the economy picked back up that could end up turning quite hard. I don’t know, it’s a very difficult scenario to map out because you have these huge binary outcomes and the constant underlying unpredictability of democracy.

Banks were required to report interest/dividend payments above €635pa to Revenue.
This is now reduced to €300pa. revenue.ie/en/practitioner/e … 72015.html

Why?

Report dividend payments from banks but not stockbrokers?

One way to sort that out. Don’t buy any German products :nin

businessetc.thejournal.ie/revenu … 2-Mar2015/

Only 54m transferred despite the pension levy. It is a better tax than even duty on booze and ciggies.
It is a case that once you open a pension in Ireland your pension is stuck in Ireland and you are at the Government’s mercy.
It is just another reason to avoid starting a pension.

I was one of the guys complaining to him that I can’t move my pension so he knows there are guys out there with valid reasons to move their pension abroad.

Yes - and they’ve created a precedent - you can be damn sure that, if the Eurozone fall’s apart, and a crisis hits here again, pensions will be raided again.

telegraph.co.uk/finance/1180 … ntrol.html

I like the use of the phrase “Stock Market Volubility” in the video :smiley:

Seriously thinking about exiting all my equities for the past few weeks, anyone thinking about doing similar?