Eviction turns to violence in Strokestown Co. Roscommon

Are the Hanley brothers with the quarry of Alan Hanley’s clan?

Common name in the area I know

It looks like every loan went wrong.
Cabot buy distressed loan portfolios.

So who was enforcing the eviction ?

The Revenue ?
Hanly Brothers ?
ACC Asset Finance ?
Bank of Ireland Finance ?
Land Rover Financial Services ?
ICS Building Society ?
KBC Bank Ireland ?
Cabot Group ?

The video footage was linked to in one of the first posts in this thread.

Here it is again to save you having to look for it

mobile.twitter.com/clewbay20/st … 3856382977

If you’ve any evidence of these people not paying vets or agricultural contractors you should link to it. Otherwise, you’re just spouting gombeenery yourself and seeking to muddy the waters, while probably conflating your quest for a cheap gaf with these people’s unwillingness to vacate their family home.

Ill tell you what. Its pretty sickening to see people cheerleading old country people having their heads kicked in a few days before Christmas by hired thugs.

And its pretty clear that the establishment are way out of touch with most of the public on this one. The following probably sums up the attitude of most based on what Ive read across social media…

independent.ie/irish-news/g … 36231.html

I think so
The Hanly brothers wouldnt be shy about stiff creditors / home depositors etc etc

For sure.

Though AH was cute enough to keep the debt in the limited company… While supplying the limited co with materials from the other co…

I think most people can surmise where an ex-UDR man would go…

irishmirror.ie/news/irish-n … e-13747413

I bring attention to those posting - **the non-glee rule applies to this thread and entire forum. **

You should know what that means.

If you do not then Click here to read more about this long running moderation policy.

What’s the difference between a home and a family home? Is there a hierarchy of homes we need to consider?

I suppose a family home would be considered your shelter and a home/house or property is something that you own as an asset.

In law…

Leo Varadkar handling the political fall out in characteristic fashion.

Full Video of exchange here - youtube.com/watch?time_cont … L5znC25KOM

The phrase is used to evoke sympathy in the media. A person residing in such a situation is no more deserving of it than a single person living alone in rented accommodation, often less so.

Farmer was informed of repossession of property seven times

Cattle-smuggling gang linked to vigilante attack on Roscommon farm

Cattle-smuggling gang linked to vigilante attack on Roscommon farm

The Irish Times has run a few similar such ‘stories’ today and yesterday in which they’ve alluded to the standard ‘Dissident’ bogeymen.

Varuka was also harping on about balaclavas in the Dáil.

The reaction online however has been quite something to behold, almost entirely dismissive of such reports as being in any way true… or even offering outright support (regardless of whether they are true or not) for the actions of the men who retook possession of the farm.

The IT in particular are in danger of losing all credibiltiy around this. People have seen the video of the eviction (despite repeated attempts by social media providers to delete it). Their reportage seeks to blatantly and brazenly avoid what for most is the real story.

As in France, the mainstream media itself is now becoming a target due to the fact that these days its simply impossible to control the narrative in the way that it could be in the past…and they are increasingly being perceived as mere propogandists as a result.

Likewise the credibility of the Gardaí is at zero given events of the past number of years. Theyre also being run by an ex-RUC man who had serious credibilty issues himself with one side of the community in the North as it was.

The banks and bankers are quite simply hated as figures who never took their medicine for their part in the GFC and in most cases actually prospered over the medium term.

It also shows the disconnect between the likes of people such as Varuka, Harris and Murphy who are basically from a different culture to much of the rest of the country. Scenes such as those witnessed in Strokestown simply dont resonate with them in the way they quite clearly do with much (maybe most?) of the Irish population.

Obviously the Church hierarchy has no credibility either.

So where to from here for a society where there clearly exists little or no respect (beyond the IT bubble) for any of its institutional pillars?

Always beware of the pro SF/IRA nonsense in thejournal.ie and other such site. They seem to have professional commentators spreading their nonsensical message. They are very vocal and very out of touch with how a lot of people who don’t inhabit this space think.

Finally, resorting to petty name calling and using monikers like “Varuka” dilutes your message, makes you appear childish.

Exactly, a good friend who is married to an agricultural contractor had horror story after horror story about these gombeens who pay for nothing…unless you are prepared to get very persistent or heavy with them and then they will pay.

This guy would operate partly in the territory once inhabited by Fitzmaurice, the TD, but Fitzmaurice was more of a bog contractor than an agricultural one and they would have cooperated rather than competed.

A proper journalist really should ask Fitzmaurice straight up about his own experiences in getting paid for work done instead of listening to bleating about the won’t pay classes. :frowning:

The upshot of what I heard from her was that 20% of potential customers were to be avoided at all times and 20% operated 6 to 12 months in arrears and that he would be after them constantly to get paid and would spend 2 months just on collections around this time of year. Only 60% of small farmers in Roscommon/East Galway were worth dealing with he says.

One of the funniest stories she had involved a full to the brim slurry tanker being used for certain credit control visits in November time. :smiley: :smiley:

Show me a sector that doesn’t have non payers. It happens. Remember the developers?

The big shots boy sand girls pre bust. I almost think a few made a hobby of not paying contractors and others beside, it sounds like it became almost a power trip or reflex. I could trot out my own anecdotes but not for this thread. It’s not the point.

It is inconsequential to the actual story but the establishment are playing a high risk game surreptitiously engaging media guns in open soft form of character assassination. It looks like it backfired as soon as it begun if online chatter is a reasonable reflection of the mood on the ground. The nature of the media spinning and trying to fix the frame on one side is butt naked.

I wonder could the man at the centre of all this media coverage of a type, have a case against some or all the media outlets. Perhaps claiming that his treatment at the hands of the media has ruined his reputation cataclysmically and ability to recover nothing short of impossible, but IANAL.

Finally, people have not forgotten what happened sep 28th 2008 and how they and their childrens childrens have been put on the hook for the gross fraud and undetected thus unpunished crimes of a select few yet they themselves can and will face judgment and consequences for deeds not by their hand at any moment. I guess many are beginning to see they are nothing less than frogs boiling for the last decade, at the hands of tptb.

I made this point back but the Banks fell first, not the mortgage holders but I guess it was an unconscionable outcome where people got to keep their gaffs for free or massive discounts. It would be super-normal outcome in the scheme of things. The status quo had to be maintained at all costs.

There is an old post from a prolific and erudite user who predicted and timed it pretty well if my more is correct, whom I’m sure someone can figure out maybe even find the post - it was along the lines that the plan was to string everyone along (ordinary folk) and then start to chip away at the value of assets as prices rose but by that stage many would be edging or close to retiring but unable to do so and it would be shocking and catastrophic in the end.

We are watching a good deal of that prognostication come to pass IMHO.

The difference with vets and agricultural contractors is that often they can’t get tough with debtors.

A vet who doesn’t show up to a cow in difficulty because he is owed money from prior visits will know about it.

Even those who pay bills promptly will feel obliged to boycott so it’s a vicious circle. At least that’s the perception that is there. And perception is enough.

Agricultural contractors don’t get the same 3am phonecalls but collecting from debtors is just as tough for similar reasons.

The SME sector in Ireland (particularly the ‘S’ part) is notorious when it comes to payment for services rendered.

I worked one the phones for one such firm many moons ago, much time spent on ‘the cheque is in the post’ excuse. I remember one phone call with a Belgian firm we had kept waiting for **a year ** for payment after a one-off service done by them on the basis that we were legit. It was excruciating.

A quick google search shows up Ireland as quite southern european when it comes to average days taken to settle an invoice.