Ex-Pats on the site.

Maybe mostly only the expats bother to vote :slight_smile:

Nemonoid stuck up some stats on the traffic previously

viewtopic.php?p=582901#p582901

Left Ireland in 1985, spent 2 years in London, 12 in the U.S, and the last 13 in Germany, France and Switzerland.
Have probably only spent a total of a few weeks in the country since I left, spread over many short visits.
Too many bad associations and reminders to ever feel comfortable there.
Property prices here in Switerland are very high by any standards, but it could be argued that the level of infrastructure and wealth justifies them to a large extent, along with a strong currency where interest rates, at least post ww2, have never been in double digits.
One of the most depressing aspects of returning Ireland over the years was seeing how the “wealth” was squandered on consumption, with little or no thought to sustainability, long term planning or energy efficiency, or really anything which would improve the quality of life for avergage people.
Have no plans to return except if global warming makes the rest of Europe unliveable in my lifetime, which is not as unlikely as it once seemed.
The most depressing aspect is, as a utopian, that Ireland with its small population, and island status, could have provided a high standard of living and low stress life for all its citizens were people organised and educated to the point where they could manage their natural resources. Instead the country is the an FDI colony with all the risks and downsides that result of not being in control of your own destiny.

Soon to be again

went to finish my degree in the uk in 99, got a job straight after it in 01, moved around the uk with work and currently in london

would love to move home but not sure i would fit back in

Left for Bermuda in 85 intending to stay for two years. We are still here. Kids born here etc. I’d love to have a holiday home back in Ireland but prices are still too high for us. :frowning: :frowning:

It’s interesting to see the difference between where older emigrants ended up and the later generations. See a lot of posters here headed off in the depths of the 80s. I’ve been in Asia nigh on 10 years, and from the poll it seems it’s a growing destination for obvious reasons, along with the usual suspects of Australia/NZ/Canada. There are probably quite a few in Middle East too.
I would like to spend more time in Ireland, but moving there is a problem for spouses who aren’t used to the cold and damp weather along with the rather sedate pace of life. And lack of multiculturalism beyond the big smoke. Heck I even had people commenting about ‘why my accent was so funny’. Felt like saying…why is YOUR accent so funny back. Cos it sure sounds funny these days (not many Irish 'round here) :mrgreen:

I worked alongside people from many cultures during the bubble but then I switched jobs to where there were hardly any foreigners, nearly all Irish and they thought I had a funny accent. I think the only difference was that I had slowed down my strong regional accent and didn’t pepper casual conversation with swear words. If we did return to Ireland I’d avoid the rural areas and take lower pay for a multicultural workplace, listening to the utterances of bigoted racist Irish-nationalistic homophobes on a daily basis takes whatever good there is out of any job; management were as bad.
There were even a few instances where I’ve said that I wasn’t Irish so I could be spared exposure to another “I’m not racist, but” style rant, I can bare a cold shoulder far better than the vomited vile of an idle mind.

Left in 1997 for the UK, came back for 3 years at the turn of the century, got fed up again and left for good.

I can’t really imagine going back now having been away this long and having seen how things can be done I don’t think I’d fit in.

Nearly did it! Went for a job with the British Antarctic Survey quite some time ago for a non-stop three year stint there.

Was placed second. :frowning:

Well Grizzly man would be a very apt name, I believe the conditions in Antarctica greatly accelerates and amplifies bodily hair growth; I believe some women become more manly!

I know somebody who did make it down there. Obviously the demand for places is high, and supply is short. Perfect conditions for an Antarctic property bubble, I would have said. :smiley:

It was actually a woman who got “my” job. She spent two 7 month winters there with 20 men all to herself! I’d say she was popular…

By the end of it she could literally be one of the lads!

Lived in Czech and Slovak Republics for the period of the boom. Still travel there every week with work but live in Ireland.

Unlike many other pinsters I actually love living back in Ireland despite all its obvious faults. I always smile every Friday evening I cross over Howth Head and look down the east coastline knowing that I’ll be home in 30 minutes.

Personally, I think anyone who leaves their family & friends for “weather” needs to go find themselves a soul…

But it seems to be a valid reason for quite a few of the ex-pats here. Pfft…

Ireland probably has the best weather on the planet. It’s clement, and beautiful in every season. Plus, if you really need the extra sunshine, you can emigrate to Wexford. The day is also five minutes longer there in mid-winter than in Jackeen-land, so it is Ireland’s Florida.

+1
I agree (whether the second part was ironic or not. :laughing: )

At least it will be a less soggy soul :laughing:

I disagree, the weather can completely define your lifestyle.
Now if you were the kind of person whose social life revolved around the pub, as it does so many Irish, then it does not matter what it is like outdoors.

Though I suspect many left for financial reasons and to raise their own children in perceived better places. The weather is probably just an added plus.

The constant rain and greyness was strangling my soul in Dublin. I’d far rather be in a place where I can get out and walk by the sea every day and eat al fresco every evening for half the year rather than being stuck in a rainy, cold and grey suburb watching lowest common denominator telly, eating stodge stuffed with chemicals and sugar and being entertained in the local pub by drunken middle aged yobbos.

I think the deadmoney doth protest too much.